I will just leave this here

SS Genesis Platinum with extras in suburban Detroit

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/hsh/d/birmingham-weber-genesis-platinum-gas/7053217368.html

01414_jHPAwTSL80X_1200x900.jpg

I should tell my sister to grab this, but I want it to go to a good home! ;)

Freebie in the next door city to me.

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/zip/d/roswell-weber-grill-for-parts/7051541290.html

Not sure why the guy was using lava rocks in his Weber. Is that a thing?

Lots of gas grills utilized "lava rocks" back in the last century. However, I don't think there was any factory provision for using them in a Genesis gas grill. It is likely some kind of aftermarket retro-fit or just a DIY cobble job. I have seen where people have converted their Genesis gas grills to charcoal however.

Anyway, free would be awesome for that even if there is some cobble job damage.

Last edited:
https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/hsh/d/birmingham-weber-genesis-platinum-gas/7053217368.html

01414_jHPAwTSL80X_1200x900.jpg

I should tell my sister to grab this, but I want it to go to a good home! ;)

Too much for my blood, but that is easily the best condition "Holy Grail" SS Platinum grill I have seen. It has snow on it too so I am wondering how it has been kept so nice. Surprising being up north and looking so good.

But if it was me, I would sit on it a while. Most people won't spend that on a used, non-rehabbed grill and most won't realize the significance of the SS frame. Wait a week and make a lower offer.

Larry, I certainly believe you have had bad experiences at what sounds like several major chains in your area. Stuart Florida isn’t exactly at the epicenter of a major metropolitan area, but I guess we have a better manager at our Chick Fil A. From what I understand, Chick Fil A owns their locations and hires their managers based on a pretty intense screening process. I have had a bad meal a couple of times, probably both at off hours. I have also had to wait long more than once, but most of those times they liberally hand out free sandwich coupons to help make up for that. Virtually all their workers have been above average in friendliness, and the store “host” continually roves looking to help customers with refills or any problems and make people feel welcome. Definitely not my experience at most other fast food places. So, I guess it could be you don’t like peanut oil fried chicken or your location doesn’t do it right. I like Chick Fil A more than is good for me, and I am sorry you can’t have the same relatively cheap fun option.

Honestly Jon I don't get the remark I don't like peanut oil fried chicken. If it's fried RIGHT the oil should not be a factor. Please understand soggy, greasy flabby and tasteless is NOT fried right. Same goes for the fries I had. Soggy, flabby, greasy and tasteless. It has nothing to do with whether it's fired in peanut oil, canola, grapeseed, cottonseed, soybean or what have you. I honestly wanted to love that place so much based on all the praise I see from folks like yourself. So imagine my disappointment. And I'm not talking I tried them once and gave up. I have eaten their stuff at least a dozen times trying to give them a fair shake. It seems to be a Rockford IL illness. Even my MUCH loved Lou Malnatti's is slipping IMO due to lack of true management personnel being on site and making sure QC is top notch. So while it's "good" it's not up to the standards as if you go to a Chicago area LM's and THAT saddens me to no end. It's a syndrome here. Many chains simply seem to "give up" once they land here. But please don't put this on me. I am not the only one who feels this way around here. Many of my friends are well in agreement on how they seem to slip up

Too much for my blood, but that is easily the best condition "Holy Grail" SS Platinum grill I have seen. It has snow on it too so I am wondering how it has been kept so nice. Surprising being up north and looking so good.

But if it was me, I would sit on it a while. Most people won't spend that on a used, non-rehabbed grill and most won't realize the significance of the SS frame. Wait a week and make a lower offer.

I am with you Bruce. Looks really nice. But I agree I would wait too. It is too pricey for most people and most won't realize the good side of the SS frame. I got two of these last year. One for around $70 and one for free. But both had a lot more rust on the floor and side panels. And the welds on the 4 frame extensions had all failed. But still I love that frame.

Yep, Stephan I redid one last spring and found another one late last summer that I will do this summer. But, I think I might just keep this one. My "Forever Grill".

I kept both for myself. One is my forever grill. The other one will become a prep table and a table for my little Q.

Nice Genesis Platinum- very nice, but too high IMO unless you want it for yourself. The rotisserie is a cool plus, but not so sure about the grates. Mine is my daily driver, and I appreciate its durability and the fact that it is the last of the classic Genesis grills. It is the final descendant of the original 1985 Genesis. A 21-year run:cool:!

Larry, I did not intend to say you didn’t like peanut oil cooked chicken, I was only saying that not everyone takes to it. I personally think it tastes noticeably different, but like it. I know others, though, who do not. So, I was only thinking maybe you were in that category.

It sounds like you just have a bad break with poor franchise oversight with Chick Fil A and other places in your locale. I wouldn’t go back if I had your experiences either. Maybe you should take a southern trip to escape the Illinois winter for a spell and try some down this way.:smilekettle:

Dave, Just cleaning up that cook box the way I normally do would take more than an hour. Depending on how you decide to clean up the hood, that is going to take some time as well. But, yah, I don't see a big need for a full disassembly or even any real painting that would need to be done. If it is like both SS frame Platinums I have dealt with in the past though, one of more of the welds in the table extensions will be broken and need some fixing.

It may be a good deal at $250, but I am always looking for a steal. I have missed a couple opportunities that way, but I have made some bigger scores by being patient as well. There is always another one is my motto. But I do realize one in that condition is truly a Unicorn with white fur and colored sparkles all over.

While most of us flippers normally agree on things, I do no understand this one.

I would not hesitate on trying to buy this grill NOW!
It is in excellent condition and will bring a very nice price the first warm day of spring.
Spend an hour or so polishing the rough edges, and make $100 to $150.

I hear ya Dave. But even in restored condition I would not get more than $200 to $250 max here. And even this is a stretch. I just sold a Silver B fully restored with new grates, new flavorizer bars, new igniter, new caster wheels... after I had it for sale for weeks for around $200 I finally agreed to let it go for $150. No one wants these old grills anymore in my area.
If i would want to flip this SS Platinum and make some profit I could not spend more than $50 on such a grill.

Stefan, That is definitely not a rehabbers market. While I did fine last summer, it did feel like I had to wait a little bit longer and take a little less than I wanted for my rehabs over all. It could just be that the "Classic" style grills are being looked at more like "OLD" than "Classic" these days.
I have rarely paid more than $50 for any of my grills. I did pay $150 for a one year old lightly used Spirit II three burner though.
Dave seems to have a way of doing fast rehabs that I haven't figured out yet. I know he uses the local car wash and pressure washer, but I know of none around me that I think would clean up a cook box good enough to make me satisfied. I have no doubt Dave could buy that grill for $250 and an hour or two later have it on CL and FB MP for $375 with it sold a couple days later. But, that isn't my market.

I DO really like that Platinum, but I think it would really hard to sell it in my area for $400 unless you cleaned thoroughly, got rid of ALL the rust, and put some high end grates. Even then, you would probably have a long wait, but I don't know that for sure. If you could get it for $100 less and the rust was easily fixed, then maybe you could turn a profit here. As a keeper, though, it is a nice specimen.

I love that Platinum. But it’s in Detroit and I’m in LA. I can’t think of any family or friends back there that would appreciate what it is and care for it like the current owner has. It’s only a couple of hours from Timothy Lewis in Kalamazoo. He should grab it.

I DO really like that Platinum, but I think it would really hard to sell it in my area for $400 unless you cleaned thoroughly, got rid of ALL the rust, and put some high end grates. Even then, you would probably have a long wait, but I don't know that for sure. If you could get it for $100 less and the rust was easily fixed, then maybe you could turn a profit here. As a keeper, though, it is a nice specimen.

Ok, now I am really confused. Are we looking at the same grill?

I do not see any rust in these pics, other than some light surface rust on the lids,
easily removed with a little bit of Barkeepers. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
Larry, I did not intend to say you didn’t like peanut oil cooked chicken, I was only saying that not everyone takes to it. I personally think it tastes noticeably different, but like it. I know others, though, who do not. So, I was only thinking maybe you were in that category.

It sounds like you just have a bad break with poor franchise oversight with Chick Fil A and other places in your locale. I wouldn’t go back if I had your experiences either. Maybe you should take a southern trip to escape the Illinois winter for a spell and try some down this way.:smilekettle:

I'm afraid of alligators more than snow :D

I think that grill would be a nice "keeper" then a little extra on price is not bad. I.E. recently I paid a bit more than I wanted to for a mixer. I could flip it and get a few $$$ out of it but it's the top of the line Commercial 8 qt machine. https://www.kitchenaid.com/countert...ith-stainless-steel-bowl-guard.ksmc895er.html (only mine is the version without that cage). There are 2 models. In any case I have been wanting one. So this one came up and instead of flipping I sold the rebuilt 6 qt machine I have been using in my kitchen for a couple years now. I threw in a couple extra accessories with it and the lady who bought it is tickled with it. And oh boy I sure have been giving that 8 qt machine a workout. Just used the dickens out of it last night making homemade fettuccine. So since I always had my eye on it as my home machine it will not be flipped. But, I have a second one I may have sold to a local person :D

Back