I will just leave this here

IR sear burners are for Sissy's.

That is the same exact one that I have. It provides the great sear that is needed when
you use the sous vide method, and also when using pellet grills. I used mine on Xmas day
for my prime rib roast.

The guy with the ribs should definitely be put in a padded room somewhere. As for using an open propane flame to sear I'm still shaking my head. But, I have seen this done on Food Network with both open flame type torches and IR types. Don't know if it's something I agree with but hey to each their own

Seriously?

Absolutely. I used it for that purpose several times. My DW didn't like me "playing with a flame thrower" and it was inconsistent for me. I probably needed more practice. I also tried a smaller version, sort of like a creme brulee torch on steroids. Again, too hit or miss for me. So I switched to using a CI skillet over a camp stove and got better more consistent results.

Damn if I dont get educated every day. Gonna get one. I have other uses in mind as well.

A
Damn if I dont get educated every day. Gonna get one. I have other uses in mind as well.

Yeah, ejimakashun is most amazing!
I have thought about getting one for several uses, not the least is searing a slab of something!
Lighting a fire bowl is probably a much more common use.

Burning weeds between patio blocks. Starting brush files are a couple I will use it for.

I hope this guy didn't think his ribs were done.

I kind of get the feeling that this fellow Sous Vide cooked the ribs in factory cryo pack? While I completely understand the fact that they are totally vacuumed but, I’m not convinced that is the way to go.
What is the consensus here about Sous Vide in “factory packaging”? I have a boatload of “Sale” ribs and an Anova just sitting!

Last edited:
I kind of get the feeling that this fellow Sous Vide cooked the ribs in factory cryo pack? While I completely understand the fact that they are totally vacuumed but, I’m not convinced that is the way to go.
What is the consensus here about Sous Vide in “factory packaging”? I have a boatload of “Sale” ribs and an Anova just sitting!

I have never tried it or even been tempted to try it. First, even cryovac stuff can go bad before the sell by date. I had that happen last fall on some ribs and Costco issued a refund. If you cook in the "factory packaging," you won't know if the food is safe to cook and eat. Sure, SV can pasteurize and kill almost all the bugs if cooked long enough, but the waste products secreted by those bugs are unsafe too and cannot be pasteurized. Second, before cooking is the only point in the process where you can impart flavor into the meat through a rub or marinade.

@JGrotz
Anyone that has the taste to enjoy “Flattys” as you exhibit would share my sentiments about many aspects of this time on this “Mortal Coil”.
People make strange chances with food, look at McDonalds!
Well, any fast(not) food(not) joint!

@JGrotz
Anyone that has the taste to enjoy “Flattys” as you exhibit would share my sentiments about many aspects of this time on this “Mortal Coil”.
People make strange chances with food, look at McDonalds!
Well, any fast(not) food(not) joint!

I'm slightly embarrassed to have missed the obvious tenor of your post #2032. I'm even more embarrassed to have no recollection of This Mortal Coil. But I did just look them up on Wikipedia and you should know I did listen to the Cocteau Twins "Heaven or Las Vegas" while walking said Flatty a couple of days ago, so I'm not completely uncouth. ;)

I have never tried it or even been tempted to try it. First, even cryovac stuff can go bad before the sell by date. I had that happen last fall on some ribs and Costco issued a refund. If you cook in the "factory packaging," you won't know if the food is safe to cook and eat. Sure, SV can pasteurize and kill almost all the bugs if cooked long enough, but the waste products secreted by those bugs are unsafe too and cannot be pasteurized. Second, before cooking is the only point in the process where you can impart flavor into the meat through a rub or marinade.

Interesting topic never been interested in it either but there are a lot of people who have good results. I invested in a vacuum sealer several months ago spent like 50 bucks for it on Amazon. Never just me had a problem with any meat that was Crovac Sealed not to say it does not happen, the reason I got the sealer mainly was because I buy the St Louis ribs from Costco and the Swift Brand has 3 racks to a package which my family normally eats a rack and 1/2 so I seal the rest with very good results. I found way more uses for the sealer though Salmon in bulk, chicken breasts or whatever one of the best purchases I have ever made.

What is the consensus here about Sous Vide in “factory packaging”?

I would not, but until you posed the question, I never really thought about it.
We don't actually "cook" much with our Anova. When we do, we always
season it. You can't do that in the factory packaging. The majority of the
use for ours is reheating food. Primarily bbq. I do not know of a better
way to reheat bbq.

the link worked for me yesterday and again this morning. Just a simple FB marketplace add.

This is all I see yet FB and FB Marketplace open just fine. One of the reasons why links in forums drive me nuts
Ytv0oxs.jpg

Back