I will just leave this here

I agree Jon, that looks like a decent size operation. I’m surprised you haven’t run into more competition with rehabbers down there? Maybe because it’s not easy work?

Welcome aboard J Grotz!

I would have to say that the one you are looking at is a fairly uncommon and very special Genesis. It has a true stainless steel frame, unlike all other Genesis grills which have painted regular steel. So, the frame is good for a lifetime except that sometimes the welds break on the side extensions. That can be remedied with added on screws or if you are really ambitious re-welded.

This grill uses the "classic" Genesis 3-burner set-up and was the last true classic Genesis coming at the end of a nearly 20-year run. So, it is a GREAT grill from that perspective. So many positives, but you do need to be aware of a few complications:

1) The closed in cabinet, other than the doors, is NOT stainless steel and is famous for badly rusting. I would be willing to bet the bottom (conveniently not shown in the ad pictures:rolleyes:) is already full of holes. This doesn't sink this grill, but you either have to pay a lot more than what you are paying for the grill itself to get a replacement bottom or look at converting to an open cart design. You can search and look at several Platinums here that have been redone this way by their owners.
2) Converting from NG to LP is doable using technical skills outside of my comfort zone. For a beginner I would strongly recommend you find a donor Silver/Gold LP grill (same design) and swap out the entire manifold. You can buy a new manifold, but it will also cost you a lot more than this grill:(.

It would certainly be easier to restore a typical Genesis Silver B with an open cart and no side-burner. But if you have some $ and adequate time to put into this project, this looks to be a very worthy option. Restored, it will make one awesome grilling machine that not just everybody has. Look at some of the many restoration threads to get some more perspective and see what you think.

J Grotz: I would be on that grill in heartbeat. That is the best Genesis frame ever made and they only made them for a year or two.

Assuming that the cabinet is intact, that grill is a steal for $45. Based on the condition, it appears that the owner took great care. It is in CA where it never rusts.;)

Sponge Bob feels sorry for the Smoke Joe Jr.

Fa4apCu.jpg

I have that exact Performer and really like it. As far as the price goes being in the peak of the grilling season it seems reasonable. Around here that model goes from $125 to about $175 if you can find them.

I have that exact Performer and really like it. As far as the price goes being in the peak of the grilling season it seems reasonable. Around here that model goes from $125 to about $175 if you can find them.

Thanks Rich. Any idea what year it's from? I just got up to speed on gassers, so my kettle knowledge is thin.

I also have a similar performer that's my main cooker. Mine's a 2011. The metal table came out in 2015, so that one is at least older than that. They will be priced around here from $100-$200. There's currently a similar NIB model nearby for $175. The table looks dirty, it should clean up, but if it won't it's not worth $150 IMO. The later models have the steel table and newer slide-aside which puts the lid more out of the way. Both make the later models more desirable if you can find one.

If you think you will use the gas assist, the Performers are really nice. Myself, I would just as soon use my handheld torch with the long extension - the kind often used for burning weeds on concrete. A regular kettle and a cheap small metal table will give similar preparation and holding space. If you don’t mind spending the extra $, one of those new MasterTouch colors would sure be sharp.:coolkettle: Coolest thing Weber has done with kettles in quite a while.

If you think you will use the gas assist, the Performers are really nice. Myself, I would just as soon use my handheld torch with the long extension

I use the Weber chimney. I’m very impressed how quickly it gets going with a single sheet of newspaper.

What I Missed Yesterday

Since I'm unemployed, I generally start my day drinking some coffee and browsing FB marketplace and Craigslist, Letgo etc.. Doing so yesterday and my neighbor calls me, asks me if I'm home and able to help him unload a grill. He rolls up with a 2 or 3 year old Natural Gas S670. It was a little dirty, but no rust at all. Everything visible looked perfect, rotisserie motor still in the box.

He saw it was listed on Facebook Marketplace for $300 at 6:30 am, but he negotiated down to $250 and had it home by 7:30. If I would have been with him, I would have offered 325 :

I offered to clean it up so he could flip it, but he declined.

Happy he got it and I'll get some cooks off it, but I guess I need to get up earlier........

Early bird gets the worm.

I think I would like to try my hand at one of those 4-6 burners some time, but finding one without a rusted out cabinet for a decent price will be tough.

Back