I will just leave this here

Generally, they are a headache and money pit. But if you can find one that doesn't require a lot of replacement parts, it could be a huge score.

Post the link to that FB MP add so we can see the other pictures. It doesn't look too bad from what I can see in the one picture.

Have I ever mentioned that I hate the preset responses that Facebook has on their market place listings. I swear some people just go through market place and clicks every "Is this still available" button on every add they come across.

Ralph,
I am a frequent ranter here about how much I dislike this current third generation Summit. A grill made with a lot of cheap painted steel masquerading as a high end grill. As far as restoring, they are big and heavy and complicated.

I will admit that while everything is working I don’t doubt they are quality cookers. That particular one has the rotisserie infrared burner and the extra burner for the smoke box, so it is the best one. It doesn’t look too bad, but i would want to really check out the cabinetry where rust starts. Then look very carefully at the front of the firebox which, unlike the Genesis, is NOT all cast aluminum. The front and part of the back are made from porcelain-plated regular steel. Expansion and contraction results in cracking of the porcelain, rust and then burn-through. That one doesn’t look like it has been abused so maybe it is still ok. I would walk very carefully but have to say that for only $100 it might be worth a serious look.

Chris: Here are my reasons in no particular order.
Usually in worse shape than a newer Silver/Gold.
Harder to clean up/fix up.
Harder and more expensive to find parts for them.
Customers don't really appreciate the fact that they are at least 20 years old.
Customers don't appreciate the benefits of the double row of flavorizer bars and larger cook box.

That being said, my personal grill is a 1000.

Bruce, just curious why you done with the 1000 series ?

I have mentioned before, but I am still clinging to the hope that my South Florida market is a little different and that there are some well off older buyers who WILL see those differences as advantages and fall in love with the classic wood slat look.

In the meantime, Bruce, keep us posted how your sales of your Skyline 1000 based grills work out for you.

Thanks Bruce. Totally agree.
I did get a 1000 for myself beginning of this year but while restoring it i realized parts, burners, flavor bars, manifold, etc is an issue. I did in the end fixed it right with genuine Weber parts and then sold it. Guy i sold it to had one just like it before so that worked out.

Last edited:
Jon, advertise something like is the best original design as Weber indented, no compromises like the Silver B, bigger and deeper cookbox, two flavor bars rows, no flare ups, longer length burners, higher from the ground so easier to lift lid. 😁

Last edited:
Jon, advertise something like is the best original design as Weber indented, no compromises like the Silver B, bigger and deeper cookbox, two flavor bars rows, no flare ups, longer length burners, higher from the ground so easier to lift lid. 😁

I have a 2000 which I'm just starting to restore.

Can I ask a couple of questions? Why are the two rows of flavor bars better and why are there no flare ups?

Thanks.

Mikey: The two rows of flavo bars do two things that assist in cooking. First, it gets the burners a little further away from the grates and second, the two rows of bars helps to create a more even heat across the grates.

Regarding no flare ups??? That I don't know that it helps a whole lot. I have had more than one flare up in my Genesis 1000. It happens after I have done a long slow low temp cook on something like a rotisserie chicken. If the cook box isn't cleaned out well, all that grease drips off the chicken and collects inside the cook box and the next time I fire it up for a full on grilling session, those drippings melt and eventually catch fire and if I am not on it, it will drip down into the drip pan and catch that on fire as well. That is nuclear infernos happen and I don't know that my 1000 is any more immune to flare ups than a Genesis Silver B would be. I do know that Weber eventually put in "heat sheilds" in the E3xx series grills (around the time they went to front controls) to combat this problem and I think it has been pretty successful.

Mikey, I have a Silver C only been cooking on it since April also have a 1000 which I have had for a few years. What I would tell you with my experience is that the Silver C has way more grease in the small tray in a short period of time than the 1000 had after a year plus. I don't do low and slow but IMO those extra bars in the 1000 are vaporizing way more grease before it hits the tray than the Silver 5 bar.

I don't generally use the C more than once a week if that and the usuage on the 1000 was about the same. I do keep them both reasonably clean not had a grease fire but the 1000 needed to be cleaned less frequently. They also cook different the C gets hotter much faster and to a higher temp than the 1000 so after I do a high heat burn off to clean the grates it takes a bit to get it down to cooking temp.

I like having the side burner although to be honest it does not get much use but I am still looking for a 3000 down the road with the side burner as I just prefer the 13 bars and the way it cooks. That will be my last grill and will sell the C when I find it. The 1000 is for my daughter when she gets a house next year but I find myself cooking on it over the C lately.

Don't get me wrong they both cook well and for people like Bruce who flip a lot of these you have the extra expense if the 13 bars need to be replaced but luckily the ones on the 1000 were stainless and still holding up great. I am also doing an 1100 which I will sell and the bars in that one are in fantastic shape also as they are stainless as well.

Chris, That is spot on advice and what I hope to do. Have to get some grills FINISHED though!!! It will be interesting to see what happens.

I got a chance to use my welder on my latest rehab. The ends of the manifold mounting brackets were nearly rusted off so I bought a length of 3/4" x 1/16" flat stock and welded in a piece to each bracket. My welding skills still need work, but it turned out well and the grinder make it look acceptable. But it clearly saved the Manifold as one of the two was able to be bent with my fingers it was so bad. I have already installed and tested it is and bolted in just perfect and the manifold puts out great flame.

AF8iOL3.jpg

VfZBWCJ.jpg

I will have to finish stripping the lid to make sure the paint isn't there to cover up a problem, but I have no idea why someone would want to paint a pretty blue lid like this. And the guy claimed the lid was actually black and it was blue paint that peeling off.

https://youtu.be/2lMiUBBg4jk

When and with what model did Weber abandon the two row/13 bar configuration? I would prefer to pick up a 13 bar model, but CL sellers have no idea what I'm talking about and most seem to be missing some anyway.

For example, shouldn't this redhead have two rows, but does not appear to from the photos:

https://offerup.com/item/detail/736742729/

Then there is this genesis silver that clearly only has one row, but should it have 2:

https://us.letgo.com/en/i/weber-grill_547e2850-0c50-4df9-871d-e3d72e264a30

Last edited:
First grill should have the double row (13 bars) the second one should have just 5 bars. A genesis 1000 has 13, a Silver/gold/platium will have 5.

They switched to the Silver gold platinum in 2000 I believe. The side tables are a dead give away. The slated tables, either wood or durawood are the earlier genesis 1000-5000 grills (prior to 2000) with 13 bars. The solid thermoset tables are Genesis Silver/gold/platinum and 2000 and up with 5 bars.

You can and a lot of people will just use the 5 bottom row bars in the genesis 1000, but that negates the advantage of two rows. I have acquired several genesis grills with just three flavorizer bars as two got so bad as to fall apart and they just used the remaining three to cover the burners (until they eventually fall apart as well). I have even gotten grills that had NO flavorizer bars and the guy was still using it....although he told me when I picked it up that it didn't heat very evenly.....Ya think???

Last edited:

Back