I will just leave this here

Jon, I have little doubt that you could probably do quite well with a few restored x000's in your area.
Obviously you don't seem to have any of them posted in your area. However, you do have plenty of
older folks that have migrated to Florida that would likely remember the older Webers, and plenty of
disposable income.

Out of all my buyers, I can't remember any of them that really knew a lot about the older Webers. Sure, they knew the grill was an older weber, but I don't think they knew the difference between a 1000 and a Silver B. I suppose some of the buyers did know the difference, but they didn't let on.

The x000 series does not sell very well in my area at all. It took me several weeks to sell my previous fully restored Genesis 1000. And the price was not that great.
I think it is the demographics. We had a huge growth in the past years with lots of high tech companies moving here and lots of young families migrating here through this industry. From all over the country and all over the world. Especially from Asia. Meanwhile 20% of our population is from Asia. A generation of potential buyers who has no affection to the old style Webers or to the brand Weber and grilling and BBQ at all. If they buy any grills then they are looking for something modern and shiny. Not necessarily Weber. Stainless steel sells. Porcelain enamel not so much. And people want closed carts. This is at least my experience.
I will no longer restore any x000 model. Too expensive with the flavorizer bars, too much work with these durawood shelves and too little profit.
Last year I would have jumped on this grill. But there is not really any money to be made anymore:
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/for/d/plano-weber-grill/6969753968.html

Last edited:
I am near completion on a Silver C w/ Blue Lid and Gold B. These are the
first older grills I have attempted to do anything with since the start of the year.
These may well be the last that I do. I hope the Silver C moves quickly and at
for a decent price, as I have another one identical, and 2 others with red lids.
I got most of these last year along with 5 or 6 Genesis 700 and 900's - mostly red heads.
I am seriously considering taking all of those and trying to use each to sell parts on here, ebay
genesis club, fbmp, CL or wherever.

I wish one of you restorers lived out west. I've been looking for a Genesis x000 series to rehab myself but would gladly pay for a restored one if were available within a reasonable drive.

I'm looking for an old Weber gasser to add to my WSM and non-Weber built in charcoal grill. Besides the x000 series, which models should I be looking for? I know I want EW orientation and probably 13 bars vs. 5 bars. I do not want a side burner because space is at a premium and I don't use the one next to the charcoal grill anyway. I would love a redhead with wood slats but I'm open to suggestions. What models/years should I be looking for?

I wish one of you restorers lived out west. I've been looking for a Genesis x000 series to rehab myself but would gladly pay for a restored one if were available within a reasonable drive.

I'm looking for an old Weber gasser to add to my WSM and non-Weber built in charcoal grill. Besides the x000 series, which models should I be looking for? I know I want EW orientation and probably 13 bars vs. 5 bars. I do not want a side burner because space is at a premium and I don't use the one next to the charcoal grill anyway. I would love a redhead with wood slats but I'm open to suggestions. What models/years should I be looking for?

I'm out west and have what you just asked for. But still quite a distance from you. I actually like doing rehabs for forum members vs posting on for sale sites. But the distance between us is still too far to be considered reasonable.

Jon, I have little doubt that you could probably do quite well with a few restored x000's in your area.
Obviously you don't seem to have any of them posted in your area. However, you do have plenty of
older folks that have migrated to Florida that would likely remember the older Webers, and plenty of
disposable income.

There is usually a steady trickle of x000 Genesis grills for sale here, even a decent Genesis 2 listed right now for $30. What I have only seen once or twice is one that has been well restored. Most listed look tired and unwanted and thus sell at low prices. Just not sure if people will pay enough for a shiny one with pretty wood to compensate for the extra cost and effort you and others have mentioned.

I am less sure that a typical Silver, especially the earlier ones, would get much attention here. I think the best resale grills for my market are 300 series or maybe a Gold or Platinum with stainless hoods. That goes with Stefan’s observations, except that here we also have plenty of well-healed retiree types that MIGHT be convinced to go classic. In between- where the Silver lies - seems to me to be less promising in my locale.

I had thought there might be some post-hurricane toss outs, but we were spared and I don’t expect much of that now.

I'm out west and have what you just asked for. But still quite a distance from you. I actually like doing rehabs for forum members vs posting on for sale sites. But the distance between us is still too far to be considered reasonable.

I just PM'd you.

Stefan, I might make the drive to get that. I need a redhead for my patio. And I'll be down in that direction for some football Thursday night.

And.....I don't really care about profit :)

Ralph, if you really want it, I can get it for you and hold it. This seller is about 2 miles from me.

Yep, that’s an easy flip.

The brown Genesis I is a great collector item - I would love to have that hood - but it is not much a flip candidate unless there happens to be a collector type with money willing to pay for you to restore one for them. Not very likely.

I suspect you and Dave, who do the majority of your grill work as a business are probably right and that early Genesis (1-5, x000) grills don’t offer a high probability of money making. Of course, I am a hopeless collector who flips mostly to fuel my habit. Because of that I guess I hold hopes that I can find people with my eccentric taste who also have money to spend. Could be a very long shot...I hope I can find time to really test this in my local market, but hurricanes, family dynamics and too many jobs keep getting in the way.

I'm now grillless and don't know what to do :). Is a summit ever a flip candidate, or too much hassle?

dNe5jhy.png

Back