I will just leave this here

I've created a new subforum for this: Restored Weber Gas Grill Photos

Let's try it for a while. If it doesn't fly, I can just fold the posts back into the main gas grill forum. One issue I foresee is that most of you are posting the progress of restorations from beginning to end, so very few "finished restoration only" posts. But we'll see how it goes.

Chris,
What would be required to copy/move old threads to this section and for us to suggest ones that we would like to add to it.

Also, is there any possibility of having “subsections” in this new area such as “Genesis 1-5 Grills,” “Summit Grills” and “Other Grills?”

Last edited:
Besides the blue Silver C that I posted last week, and is still for sale, I finished this one on Saturday,
promptly posted on fbmp and then to CL on Monday morning.

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/hsh/d/excelsior-springs-weber-genesis-gold/6975245239.html

Not a single reply. The market here in flyover country has gone ice cold on older Webers, meanwhile it
is sunny and 80's most every day here.
Dave I have the same situation here. For a grill like yours I get may around $200 on a good day. Probably more like $150 to $175 on an average day. And then it takes time. My previous grill took more than 2 weeks to sell. This is why I have stopped refurbishing and flipping grills. It is not worth it anymore. Even for a fully refurbished sidewinder I will not get much more than $250. And with increased prices on grates and flavorizer bars the margins are getting too thin.

Last edited:
Dave, not to be uber critical but look at the photo with the grates. IMO a total turn off to an otherwise nice grill.

Dave, that's a great looking grill. If it wasn't so far away I would be interested.
I've looked at Craigslist in Prescot AZ, Las Vegas, Orange County CA, Flagstaff AZ, and others noting but a few NG 1000s and a few derelict silver Bs and Cs all of them over $100. Trying to find a decent 1000 or B,C for my daughter as they moved to a rental and had to leave their built in grill. This is a temporary move until they retire in two years and move to the house they bought in Surprise AZ where they will build a new outdoor kitchen.
Just nothing within an 8 hour drive from here. Guess I'll just loan them my skyline so they have something to grill on.

Last edited:
What would be required to copy/move old threads to this section and for us to suggest ones that we would like to add to it.

If you see a thread that's a good candidate for moving, PM me the URL(s) and I'll move them.

Also, is there any possibility of having “subsections” in this new area such as “Genesis 1-5 Grills,” “Summit Grills” and “Other Grills?”

If someone can suggest a list of subsections, I will create them.

That looks nice and a fair price, but you can have it. TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MANY projects, and until I thin my backlog I am doing my best to just say "NO!"

If someone can suggest a list of subsections, I will create them.

Chris,

Here are my suggestions. Hopefully, others will chime in and you can decide what makes sense:

GENESIS 1-5 GRILLS
GENESIS JR. GRILLS
GENESIS 1000-5000 GRILLS
GENESIS SILVER GRILLS
GENESIS GOLD & PLATINUM GRILLS
GENESIS 300 SERIES GRILLS
(I don't think we are ready yet, but someday GENESIS II GRILLS)
SUMMIT GRILLS
SPIRIT GRILLS
SPECIAL EDITION WEBER GRILLS (This would be for Skyline and other special edition models)
OTHER GRILLS (This would be a catch-all for oddballs like my Sunbeam)

Last edited:
Chris,

Here are my suggestions. Hopefully, others will chime in and you can decide what makes sense:

GENESIS 1-5 GRILLS
GENESIS JR. GRILLS
GENESIS 1000-5000 GRILLS
GENESIS SILVER GRILLS
GENESIS GOLD & PLATINUM GRILLS
GENESIS 300 SERIES GRILLS
(I don't think we are ready yet, but someday GENESIS II GRILLS)
SUMMIT GRILLS
SPIRIT GRILLS
SPECIAL EDITION WEBER GRILLS (This would be for Skyline and other special edition models)
OTHER GRILLS (This would be a catch-all for oddballs like my Sunbeam)

I think this is too may subsections because many of these grills are too similar.
I would suggest based on the 13 or 5 bar design and then separate categories for the other grills. If we have too many categories people will post in the wrong forum and we will get a lot double posts. E.g. if you have a Skyline which could be a 1000, 2000, 3000 .. where to you post if you have a technical question? Under the special edition section or under 1000-5000 section?

1. 13 flavorizer bar Genesis:
- GENESIS 1-5 GRILLS
- GENESIS JR. GRILLS
- GENESIS 1000-5000 GRILLS
- First gen Platinum grills

2. 5 flavorizer bar Genesis:
- GENESIS SILVER GRILLS
- GENESIS GOLD & PLATINUM GRILLS
- SPIRIT 200 and 300
3. Genesis 300 Series
4. Summit Series

And then maybe the new gen "front control" panel Spirit and Genesis in separate subgroups

I think this is too may subsections because many of these grills are too similar.
I would suggest based on the 13 or 5 bar design and then separate categories for the other grills. If we have too many categories people will post in the wrong forum and we will get a lot double posts. E.g. if you have a Skyline which could be a 1000, 2000, 3000 .. where to you post if you have a technical question? Under the special edition section or under 1000-5000 section?

1. 13 flavorizer bar Genesis:
- GENESIS 1-5 GRILLS
- GENESIS JR. GRILLS
- GENESIS 1000-5000 GRILLS
- First gen Platinum grills

2. 5 flavorizer bar Genesis:
- GENESIS SILVER GRILLS
- GENESIS GOLD & PLATINUM GRILLS
- SPIRIT 200 and 300
3. Genesis 300 Series
4. Summit Series

And then maybe the new gen "front control" panel Spirit and Genesis in separate subgroups

I don't have any problem with that list. I would like to add something for "Other Grills."

The original suggestion was this (my emphasis in bold):

Is there a place on the board for pictures of finished restoration projects? I've looked but may have missed it. I thought it might make a nice sticky for people to show off their finished grills. It would also be nice to have one location to see a bunch of nice grill pictures.

I guess the question is, "What problem are we trying to solve?

The original suggestion sounds like a "Show & Shine" subforum where you can post photos of finished grills, brag on them, talk about them, etc.

What Jon is suggesting is segmented discussion threads by grill model.

Sounds like two different issues to me.

As for Jon's suggestion, the advantage I see is that problems unique to a Spirit grill will only be found in the Spirit subforum. The problem I see is that every subforum will have duplicate "What's the best firebox spray paint?" threads.

If the issue is keeping discussion by grill model together in one spot, we can either do it "physically" by organizing around subforums by grill model, or we can do it "virtually" by using tags to categorize threads by grill model.

At the bottom of each thread, there's a "Tags for this Thread" option. A few of you are already using tags, e.g. there are 4 posts tagged "genesis 2000".

We can tag posts using a list of suggested categories:

• genesis 1-5
  • genesis jr
  • genesis 1000-5000
  • genesis skyline
  • genesis silver
  • genesis gold
  • genesis platinum
  • genesis 300
  • genesis II
  • spirit
  • spirit II
  • summit
  • other grills
(I'm not sure why tags are lowercase, but they are.)

Then we can have a sticky thread that contains pre-defined links to return search results for each tag value, so you can see a list of posts tagged "genesis jr" or "summit". But it does require that members tag posts using the defined list of tags...the list of defined tags could also appear in the sticky post as a reminder.

Thoughts?

P.S. Of course, there are different models on how to do this. WKC does not break-down forum posts by kettle model, but the Ford Mustang forum does:

• Mustang S550 Forums (2015+ Mustangs)
  • Mustang S197 Forums (2005-2014 Mustangs)
  • 4.6L Mustang Forums (1996-2004)
  • 5.0 Mustang Forums (1979 – 1995)
  • V6 Mustang Forums (1979-2004)
  • 2.3L and SVO Mustang Forums
  • Mustang II Forums (1974-1978)
  • Classic Mustang Forums
  • SVT Cobra Mustang Forums

...and then has several subforums in each category. Just one example:

Mustang S550 Forums (2015+ Mustangs)
Sub-Forums: Mustang S550 General Discussion , 2015+ 5.0 Mustang Talk , 2015+ 5.0 Tech , 2015+ 2.3L Ecoboost Talk , 2015+ 2.3L Ecoboost Tech. , 2015+ 3.7L Mustang Talk , 2015+ 3.7L Mustang Tech. , 2016+ Shelby GT350 Talk , Mustang S550 For Sale / Classifieds , Mustang S550 Off Topic Lounge

Maybe a little optimistic on price ...LOL

How is this even a thing??? Missing an endcap????????? How? Took it apart and lost it?

MfphsDI.png

I think the tags might be the best idea. However, I have a feeling that a lot of posts won't include the tags.

Maybe a little optimistic on price ...LOL

How is this even a thing??? Missing an endcap????????? How? Took it apart and lost it?

MfphsDI.png

And I may be wrong, but I don't see a 2000 there. Just a 1000? Right? But it does have the two warming racks which is pretty unusual. But missing the swing table too. Worth maybe $15 as it sits.

Last edited:
The problem I see is that every subforum will have duplicate "What's the best firebox spray paint?" threads.

I know I'm new to this forum, but having recently read through dozens of restoration threads (while I continue trying to buy a redhead) I feel I should share my $.02. While I like Jon's idea, I don't think there are enough restoration threads of each type of grill to break it out into so many sub-forums. And then there's also the problem that Chris points out of duplicate how-to questions. I think a single gas grill restoration forum (including advice requests, in progress restorations, and show-n-shine together) is, perhaps, the way to go.

Also, is this proposed new forum structure just for new threads going forward? I'm not an admin of this or any other site, but suggesting that Chris plow through the gas grill archives and re-sort them into a new forum structure (breaking a lot of links in the process) seems to me would be a huuuge ask. And so many of the older restoration threads are not worth moving anyway because they have missing or fuzzed-out photographs rendering them kinda worthless.

I know I'm new to this forum...
There's value in having a "fresh set of eyes" give us some feedback on this. I may be too close to it. :D

Also, is this proposed new forum structure just for new threads going forward? I'm not an admin of this or any other site, but suggesting that Chris plow through the gas grill archives and re-sort them into a new forum structure (breaking a lot of links in the process) seems to me would be a huuuge ask.
There could be selective moving of old threads to a new structure. It would require some help from members to identify which posts to move. I could do the moving, or I could make someone(s) a moderator with ability to move threads. The good news is that in vBulletin, URLs don't break when you move threads between subforums!

And so many of the older restoration threads are not worth moving anyway because they have missing or fuzzed-out photographs rendering them kinda worthless.
Many of these are on Photobucket, and it's hard to predict how they'll handle these photos in the future. At first they simply turned them off, then they brought them back with a watermark, which wasn't such a bad solution IMHO. Now they've blurred them. Maybe someday they'll bring them back into focus but with an Amazon advertising watermark over them...who knows? :confused:

Back