I will just leave this here

What is anyone here's take on the bottom they are showing in the illustration Chris kindly posted? Do you think it is a stainless flat piece with edges?
Shown a little better here:

hfPYI7I.jpg

My sense is that it's like the work tables...a piece of stainless with a curved edge that wraps over the tubular frame running left/right. In fact, I wonder if they're the same pieces as the work tables?

qEmr32l.jpg

Showing how table is recessed then curves up and over tubular frame.

td7g7E5.jpg

Showing tubular frame at front bottom of grill.

Chris,
Thanks for the additional info. I agree with your assessment about the bottom pieces. Your pictures also showed how those stainless racks work. I always assumed they were one piece.

The beat up one listed may not even have the tubular frame pieces, let alone the bottom shelves. I asked the seller to post a picture of the bottom and if they still had the missing right shelf rack.

LOL: I did not notice the Weber emblem until you pointed it out. How could someone do that by mistake???

Can't beat that for only $35. Notice the Weber emblem?[/QUOTE]

Thanks Sam

I noticed the emblem right away, and it just goes to show you the Older Summit's are still out there.

I cannot argue the 1st gen Summit is perhaps one of the finest pieces of cooking equipment I have ever used. The only issue is it is useless for rotisserie cooking (believe me I tried), and poorly designed cook box with no support from Weber. The one originally pictured in the CL ad is toast. There is no salvation for that poor thing BUT if it has the original grates they're worth the price of admission as they will fit any 1st or 2nd gen Genesis i.e. 1xxx and up or B, C models.

Sam,
That green Summit looks really sweet! A vastly better potential candidate than that wrecked one near me in N Miami. I am glad the nice one is far away since I have no business even thinking about it. I hope someone does rescuing, though.

Larry,
I wouldn’t argue with any of your assessment. I think there are people who would accept a non-rotisserie grill if it excelled in basic grilling as that Summit does based on your own experience. Add to that the fact that this a REAL Weber, its historic value and rugged good looks. For those reasons someone might be willing to invest significantly to have a stainless replacement for the firebox front fabricated. With that, a person would have a great grilling machine with a lot more charm than the modern high end grills.

Trying to find a fabricator that won't charge you a first born child is next to impossible (I tried). I still have my old Summit sitting in pieces under a cover on my front patio. Have not had time to get around to giving it a deep clean, new XOver burners and igniters so it sits. Probably infested with yellow jackets for all I know. Every time I think I will get after it life gets in the way
But I still stand by my assessment of the one in that add. There is so much stuff missing and or fully broken (right side tray, the frame is totally shot as well) and most likely the fire box is toast. But, if it has the real Summit grates it's worth it for those alone

Last edited:
Dang Stefan, I might take the risk and make that drive if it is convenient enough for you...like not taking the day off work or something.

Tomorrow. I picked it when it was almost dark. Looks like the expansion pieces are there. It seems I yet have to find a Platinum where the welds on the frame expansion pieces have not failed.
Actuality 1 photo:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Yv9Q9vn7QNNQjid58
From what I can see so far: the lid is shot. The inner liner is completely rusted out. The fire box is shot too.badly warped on the side and has lots of holes in it. This grill must have had a heck of a grease fire. The floor pan is rusted out. But the side panels look ok. I want to convert this into a grill cart without a grill. A place where I can can place my Q1200 and use the tank scale for a 20 lb tank for the Q. Thinking about a wooden top and wooden floor.

Last edited:
Convinced the seller to hold it. In my car now. ��

Way to go Stefan! When I clicked on the ad and saw that it was deleted, I thought “Oh, too bad Stefan didn’t get that one.” :eek:

That frame will make a great foundation for any number of possibilities. Bruce did a very interesting redhead version that was snapped up really fast.

Yes, it does seem that the stainless welds were not done well on those extensions. I fixed one of mine with a well concealed screw.

Trying to find a fabricator that won't charge you a first born child is next to impossible (I tried). I still have my old Summit sitting in pieces under a cover on my front patio. Have not had time to get around to giving it a deep clean, new XOver burners and igniters so it sits. Probably infested with yellow jackets for all I know. Every time I think I will get after it life gets in the way
But I still stand by my assessment of the one in that add. There is so much stuff missing and or fully broken (right side tray, the frame is totally shot as well) and most likely the fire box is toast. But, if it has the real Summit grates it's worth it for those alone

Larry,
I agree with you totally. I guess I held out a hope that getting a stainless fabrication for the front could be in reach. When my friend still owned his sheet metal shop, a project like that would sometimes peak his interest. He had a huge stash of high grade stainless he got at auctions and used a place that laser cut pieces like that perfectly. He then would do any bends that were required. He made me z bars like rcplanebuyer does, welded some stainless legs for a Genesis Gold, and fabricated perfect backs and bottoms for the Genesis 300. He didn’t always get things done very fast, but I sure miss having a friend in the business.

I do agree that the Miami Summit is too far gone and would require major metal work and fabricated replacements not to mention what condition the firebox is likely in. It does have the stainless grates, so I am still a little tempted. It is time for me to reign it in for a while, though. I doubt I will go that far for just grates and whatever Summit parts could be saved. It is too bad because theses grills don’t come up very often down here.

Stefan: Great score and yes, I had a problem with one of the frame extension expansion joints where the weld failed as well. I did what Jon did and used some concealed screws.

That would make a great grilling cart, but I want you to consider that it is about the best frame you will ever come across for a Weber grill. You can easily swap in a different cook box and lid and everything else, but that frame is the key to a "forever" grill. I sold mine for $370. If not, you will have a forever grilling table. :)

The picture isn’t too clear, but the inside look the best I ever seen in one of those. If you decide to do an open cart, please don’t trash the cabinetry without giving me a shot at any piece(s) you don’t want.

Back