I will just leave this here

Hey Ed: I am wondering what you could do with a wood Genesis 1000 handle.
Bruce, that thought has crossed my mind many times, and there is a lot of "canvas" there to create something unique...but the #9057 handle light is such a handy utility thing, especially with the LED conversion , why would anybody choose otherwise? Unless, of course, one could combine the best aspects of both, which I've also chewed on.

EDIT: After some thought, it occurred to me as a rehabber you're likely looking for a cheap source of handles for flip grills. I'm a one-off kinda guy, but really, a guy could create a jig or fixture and knock these out by hand faster than a guy with a hobbyist CNC. The finishing is where all the work is and it's the same no matter how you go about making them.

Last edited:
I should have mentioned, I did pick this up an hour ago. My main reason was for the righthand swing up table.

Burners are shot. Flavorizer bars fair, grates are really greasy so I don't know if they are stainless or the porcelain coated ones.

We'll see once I get it clean.

Bruce, that thought has crossed my mind many times, and there is a lot of "canvas" there to create something unique...but the #9057 handle light is such a handy utility thing, especially with the LED conversion , why would anybody choose otherwise? Unless, of course, one could combine the best aspects of both, which I've also chewed on.

EDIT: After some thought, it occurred to me as a rehabber you're likely looking for a cheap source of handles for flip grills. I'm a one-off kinda guy, but really, a guy could create a jig or fixture and knock these out by hand faster than a guy with a hobbyist CNC. The finishing is where all the work is and it's the same no matter how you go about making them.
Dan, I try to stay away from Genesis 1000 grills and if I do them, I usually convert them to durawood. Fabbing up wood slats and handles is an expensive and time consuming process, so I just go with the durawood. I actually havent even done one for about two years now. Parts availability and ease of rehabbing keeps pushing me to the Silver B/C grills.
But, I was just thinking that there are a lot of guys that would love to do a personal grill with sporting some of the wood that you create. I understand the aversion to getting into the manufacturing business though. That makes it a job, and not so much a hobby.

They certainly can be made, and the right setup would sure help. A friend of mine looked at one of my Weber wood handles and said "Oh sure, I can easily make some for you!" I gave him wood blanks and an original to work from. He has quite a bit of equipment in his shop and has done some really nice woodwork. Still, he found it more difficult than he expected. I was very happy to get the 90%+ end products, but he was very disappointed with how they came out. It may not be quite as easy as it looks, but then again I know almost nothing about jigs, etc.

I'm posting this hoping to inspire others. I think I may have posted this before, but have a look at how he uses a fixture to slot the handle, starting at 2:25...of course, it's always easier watching someone else do it than doing it yourself, but if a guy set out to produce these I'm sure he could get pretty good at it in short order.

Last edited:
That's pretty cool how he set that up. He does make it look easy. I just wish he filmed himself making the handle! It does give you a good plan of attack as long as you are familiar enough with routers and bits to work with some skill. I wish I was in that category!

Hopefully someone else WILL be inspired to create that jig and start selling nice replica wood handles. I still thing they are the classiest ones for a classic Weber grill.

CNC carved Weber Serving tray handles. I also included the final painted version of the Platinum plaque. The lighter colored version at the bottom is a prototype...when I got finished carving it, my wife said "The logo needs to be bigger". Also, I changed the design a bit (added 3mm to the width) to better cover the black end rails, which have yet to be painted.

I did not know this, but redwood gets darker when it's exposed to the sun. These are all carved from redwood fence pickets. The spar varnish is still sticky after a week of drying in the sun.

View attachment 35006

Evolution of the profile design. From tracing the original, then adding a rounded edge, then increasing the overall length by 3mm. I am glad to be moving on.

View attachment 35007

And here is the evolution of the overall length. Because it is machined on both sides, there is an ever-so-slight mismatch between top and bottom halves, easily sanded when sanding with the grain, not so easily sanded cross end grain. My original intent was to make them a little longer and saw off the excess, but then I hit upon the idea of letting the machine do the work...much easier! I'm still learning.

View attachment 35008

I haven't assembled the trays yet...like I said, the varnish is still sticky, but I've got other fish to fry and things to carve!

EDIT: Adding another picture. I pre-drilled the mounting holes and dowelled them with hardwood dowels as part of the CNC process. Also, my "brand" can be seen on the back side.

View attachment 35010
Ed
Great looking work!
Do you mind sharing a few pictures of your CNC machine?
What CAM software are your currently using to generate G-code?
Thanks

Ed
Great looking work!
Do you mind sharing a few pictures of your CNC machine?
What CAM software are your currently using to generate G-code?
Thanks
Thanks, RJ! It's a DIY MPCNC that I made all the 3D printed parts for in Nov 2019. I slowly accumulated the remaining parts and assembled it early this year.

Last edited:
That is BEAUTIFUL! It sure looks like he knows what he's doing. Care to say how much he is selling them for?

I guess that might depend on the kind of wood and whether or not it was finished. I traded him a grill for his efforts. I'm sure he would be willing to make more if someone wants one though.

You got a good deal! That's a lot of work right there. Very, very nice. I wish I had some of that talent.

The Serial was in bright daylight on the back. I looked it up and the Performer was a 2013 Performer Platinum Crimson. Looks Plum to me.
Its a Gen 3 which I have also they still had the plastic table which cracks if your not careful. I was fortunate that Weber replaced mine with the metal table long story was lucky. Gen 4 had the metal table. Pretty sure that is Brick Red which I have also plum was rare and only in Gen 1 I believe. Here is a nice history on performers from out friends at another forum.

Back