I will just leave this here

Mack, is that thing completely stainless? Like is the back bottom and sides of the cabinet stainless?

The big thing with Summit grills is the bottom front of the cook box where the burners come in tends to corrode really bad and eventually you have issues with safety as heat and flames can exit the cookbox through the enlarged openings. If that is in good shape (once they start corroding, they go fast) then it is a steal. Even if it is tough shape, Weber should still have some you could buy to replace it and you would have a $2000 grill for a few hundred.

The burners and flavorizer bars are surely available, but if they need replacing, they will run you more bucks as well. The SS cooking grates will last another 20 years.

Disclaimer: Just be real careful with picking this up as a project. $100 is cheap, but many others have wound up putting many hundreds more into them, just to get them back to working condition. THey tend to be what we call "Rabbit Holes" and if you don't know what you are doing or what you are looking at, it can get costly quick.
Thanks for the advice, but I sold my restored Summit S-450 and have no desire to deal with another one. I only posted in case someone else wanted it. I moved on to a Genesis 2 S-435 and I'm pretty happy with it after a few mods.

Yah, probably a "decent" deal. But since he jacked up the listing, it might get much attention. If I was on the fence, I would wait until after this weekend and offer $40.

EDIT: I just realized that it is missing the elusive condiment basket. Bummer.

This is barely on topic, but since it has gas I thought I'd ask if any one knows how the electric starter works.

Screenshot_20210820-203709_Chrome.jpg

This old original PK is listed by me. It would be a flip as I don't really need it but I think $100 is kind of high. I am leaning against it at this point.
1629603422309.png
1629603441699.png

I've not seen one like this before.

View attachment 35301

That is a Genesis Platinum I think that is a late 1990s model.

Bruce,
That is a Platinum II model with the larger frame. I'd say someone did some cobbling together with that older pinstriped lid and that newer propane tank scale.

For reference, this is a Platinum I:

Jeff

This old original PK is listed by me. It would be a flip as I don't really need it but I think $100 is kind of high. I am leaning against it at this point.
View attachment 35347
View attachment 35348
That’s a steal. Even has the “little more” extra grate. At that price you definitely can flip it if you clean it up nicely. I wish I could get it for myself!

Not surprised. I have lost out on several winners because I couldn’t jump on them.

Last edited:
Not surprised. I have lost out on several winners because I couldn’t jump on them.
Well it turns out I am now the current owner of a PKGrill. The other buyers did not show and I got it for $100. It needs a bottom vent damper and charcoal grate. It does have the cook more grid and charcoal basket. It is only 5 years old. He replaced it with a Masterbuilt 1050. He was cooking ribs when I got there. He used to also have a Napoleon Lex 485 that caught fire, so I also scored a rotisserie rod for my new to me Prestige 500 for $10 and he gave me the SS grates from his old Lex to see if I can make a charcoal grate for the PK. Since 8MM SS wave grates seem like a waste for charcoal grates, I will try to find make something else as PK replacements are too expensive for a flip.

Back