I will just leave this here

I am surprised it took that long. I think those things are over $1000 when new and I don't think they suffer the pitfalls that the Summit Gassers do.

That Summit Kamado was an awesome deal. They sell instantly for $800+. Weber doesn't have the propane assist on that model anymore either.

Yeah, that person didn’t realize what they had. A Summit charcoal isn’t big on my wish list, but they seem to be awesome cookers.

NO, I think the rack snaps "INTO" the black plastic on the left. It should be level.
Yes that is what I thought too.
This was a Great find for me I have been wanting one. I prefer a Green one to go with the rest of my Green Family but this one will do.
It did not have the thermometer.
It was left over from a move the owner did not want it.
It is pretty dirty but I think it will clean up nicely. Not sure if the gas assist works or not.
Right front wheel broke when I loaded it into my Van.
It seemed to have Cast Iron Grill Grates. I was not aware they made these for Kettles.
It came with a cover.
Scores!

Bruce,
Was that one you restored.
Is the one I have a Gen 2. Any ideas on the Year.
I would like to convert it to a metal table or a wooden one.

Last edited:
I don't know enough about them to determine their generation. But, yes, that was a rehab from earlier this spring. I have a brand new green bowl and lid for a performer. Too bad you are not closer.

The Serial was in bright daylight on the back. I looked it up and the Performer was a 2013 Performer Platinum Crimson. Looks Plum to me.

I know the newer Summits are rust buckets (BTDT), but this may be worth fixing. They posted at $150 a couple weeks ago, quickly dropped to $100. They might give it away at this point.

I know the newer Summits are rust buckets (BTDT), but this may be worth fixing. They posted at $150 a couple weeks ago, quickly dropped to $100. They might give it away at this point.

Mack, is that thing completely stainless? Like is the back bottom and sides of the cabinet stainless?

The big thing with Summit grills is the bottom front of the cook box where the burners come in tends to corrode really bad and eventually you have issues with safety as heat and flames can exit the cookbox through the enlarged openings. If that is in good shape (once they start corroding, they go fast) then it is a steal. Even if it is tough shape, Weber should still have some you could buy to replace it and you would have a $2000 grill for a few hundred.

The burners and flavorizer bars are surely available, but if they need replacing, they will run you more bucks as well. The SS cooking grates will last another 20 years.

Disclaimer: Just be real careful with picking this up as a project. $100 is cheap, but many others have wound up putting many hundreds more into them, just to get them back to working condition. THey tend to be what we call "Rabbit Holes" and if you don't know what you are doing or what you are looking at, it can get costly quick.

65F12428-70A2-45CD-95A6-3A520A60E432.jpegMack,
If I were you I would run away from that and put your $100 into something more worthwhile. The problems with these current, third generation Summit grills are all over this board. Besides being highly prone to rusty cabinets and frame legs and to burn through on the firebox, they are just too big, bulky and complicated. I admit that’s my personal opinion. A well functioning one is a great cooker. But good luck getting it there for a reasonable price and time and effort. I gave up on not one, but two of these beasts. Their carcasses wound up in the scrap metal pile at the maintenance yard at my old not for profit job in Florida.

CNC carved Weber Serving tray handles. I also included the final painted version of the Platinum plaque. The lighter colored version at the bottom is a prototype...when I got finished carving it, my wife said "The logo needs to be bigger". Also, I changed the design a bit (added 3mm to the width) to better cover the black end rails, which have yet to be painted.

I did not know this, but redwood gets darker when it's exposed to the sun. These are all carved from redwood fence pickets. The spar varnish is still sticky after a week of drying in the sun.

20210816_142100.jpg

Evolution of the profile design. From tracing the original, then adding a rounded edge, then increasing the overall length by 3mm. I am glad to be moving on.

20210816_142923.jpg

And here is the evolution of the overall length. Because it is machined on both sides, there is an ever-so-slight mismatch between top and bottom halves, easily sanded when sanding with the grain, not so easily sanded cross end grain. My original intent was to make them a little longer and saw off the excess, but then I hit upon the idea of letting the machine do the work...much easier! I'm still learning.

20210816_143246.jpg

I haven't assembled the trays yet...like I said, the varnish is still sticky, but I've got other fish to fry and things to carve!

EDIT: Adding another picture. I pre-drilled the mounting holes and dowelled them with hardwood dowels as part of the CNC process. Also, my "brand" can be seen on the back side.

20210816_142812.jpg

Last edited:

Back