I will just leave this here

I will see if I can find a welder who can weld them back together for me. Each clamp is only welded on with one small spot weld and of the 4 pieces 3 have failed.
I uploaded a picture onto my google account. Not sure how to link the photo directly using my phone.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/huw8z3S1KCEN7fvx8

I would think the JB Weld would work on this obviously bolt the bracket back in cover the exposed side with some JB weld a bit on all 4 sides then slide that frame piece back on. The weld is probably a better idea if not to costly but sounds like it was not exactly falling apart with 3 welds gone.

Degrease the part where the JB weld goes on clean with acetone before you apply.

So I got them welded. The welder could not redo the spot welding due to space concerns so I decided to have the clamps welded at the inside edge. I grinded down the inside of the main square frame to make room for the weld. It actually works. And since the frame is 304 stainless steel there should be no rust buildup. Will take some pictures in the next days.

Stefan. Glad to hear you got it done. I would love to see the results and am also curious as to how much it cost you to have them welded?

This shop was asking for a flat fee of $45. I might have gotten it cheaper somewhere else but it was not worth it for me to search for another shop to save $10 or $20.
But maybe it is time to get a welder and learn welding. This has been on my to do list for some time.

Last edited:
I too have been thinking about maybe grabbing a welder myself just a MIG wire feed. Who knows maybe now that I am old I can finally learn the skill. I have tried most of my life to learn and failed miserably. Even back in my mechanic days. If the need came up I would have to call on one of the other guys and the foreman would take how ever many tenths of an hour off my shop ticket and apply it to the guy doing my welding

I took a "Hot Metals" class in high school where we learned welding with MIG and stick. I don't recall it being all that difficult although we had an experienced teacher there to guide and teach us. Learning on your own would not be easy.

I wish I had kept up with learning the trade just for personal reasons. I could have used those skills soooo many times over the years. My son is a welder but he lives in New Hampshire.

I had experienced teachers I just could not get the hang of it. Thinking maybe if I had one and practiced maybe I could do it

Learning how to weld is on my to do list. I want to make a some kind of welding course. Just simple stuff.

Yah, that fishing pole on top of it is fitting. He must have snagged it and drug it up out of the river.

Last edited:
At least I only paid $8 for mine:rolleyes:! By the way, I at least pulled my even older (and uglier?) one out of the shed. It is moving up on the list for whatever I am going to do with it.:confused:

Jon, I think I remember you acquiring in a SunBeam. Are you going to rehab it?

Yeah, that's what I was referring to about taking one out of the shed. It is even uglier in the daylight then I remembered:eek:! I do intend to try and do SOMETHING with it. I refuse at this point to put any real $ into it. I got a regulator with new-style connector from a grill that was discarded in our trash. Even though I have sold all my Broilmasters, I kept an old, but not used up, Broilmaster burner. My interest in this tiny grill will hinge a lot on whether I can wedge that burner into it. If I can, I may have a gas grill muscle car! I also have leftover ceramic tiles to use in place of the ancient lava rocks.

If I can upgrade this Sunbeam with these no additional cost items, then I will doll it all up and maybe keep it as a "pocket rocket" lunch and small meal grill. I hope I can, because it would be fun to see if I can make an off the wall - but cool:cool: - working grill out of this oddity. It could be a little like an antique Q100 on a rolling cart.

Oh yeah LOVE the GTO. I think my all around fav muscle car but really only the 65/66. There was something so nice about how quietly and smoothly that big 389 would idle with that solid but smooth rumble and than how fiercely it would react to the right foot. I always loved that about Pontiac big blocks

Oh yeah LOVE the GTO. I think my all around fav muscle car but really only the 65/66. There was something so nice about how quietly and smoothly that big 389 would idle with that solid but smooth rumble and than how fiercely it would react to the right foot. I always loved that about Pontiac big blocks

Larry you're bring back great memories for me. I had a 1966 GTO tri power. Besides being a torque monster when those two secondary two 2 barrels opened up the howl was unbelievable. I've had a lot of fast cars but the goat was my favorite.

Well, that poor little Sunbeam could never hope to live up to the GTO name, especially to those of you fortunate enough to have driven one. I do hope, though, I can surprise everyone - including myself - by making something cool out of this ugly little thing. I really don’t want to add it to our landfill:p!

14mw1hg.jpg

ogrdc.jpg

Last edited:

Back