I will just leave this here

On another note, I made the best batch of Fajitas I ever made tonight. They were awesome. But, I realized that it would be nice to have a Genny 3000 or Silver C. I don't really care for the extra size and weight, and previously I had thought that the extra burner was more of a gimmick than anything. But, tonight as I had my wife inside doing the peppers and onions on the stove, I was thinking it would have been nice to be able to do them on the extra burner while I was doing the meat inside the grill. Maybe, at some point I will swap out my grill for a 3000. However, I have never had a 3000 before, just 2 or 3 silver C's and a couple E330's. I definitely want to keep the deep fire box on my 1000 so I need to find a 3000 to swap it onto.

See Bruce? Maybe I am making another convert...............
And Rich how lucky were you to actually have had a GTO Tri Power?! I drove one once a 65. 4spd. Some kid bought it around our area and he was bragging on it and was making all kinds of brags about it where we used to street race. So a couple guys took on his challenges. My buddy and I were there, but the kid could barely drive a stick and the engine was obviously "ailing" in his car. So he asked my buddy and I if we would drive it in a drag race for him. I listened to that engine and declined knowing full well it might not take full throttle for 1/4 mile. My friend told him straight up "I'll do it but it's gonna blow up" Kid said he didn't care" I guess rich kid. So we brought it to the line against a another car (a Cougar with a 351 IIRC). Of course the Goat blew the Cougar into kingom come but came back with a VERY pronounved rod knock and bad engine miss. He limped it home happy. But even ailing that goat could fly

When I had my GTO I was working at OCIR (Orange County International Raceway) in Irvine California.) I had the opportunity to talk with a lot of folks campaigning Goats and got a lot of tips on how to make it quicker and still keep it the stock class. Of course I had a lot of time to use the track for testing.
Bone stock with street tires it would run mid 13s at 101 as a best, after I tweaked it I was running low to mid 12s at 109 which was pretty good for a basically stock GTO. I never did put slicks on it. I know that would have helped because it would fry the street tires almost all the way through 2nd gear even with posi if I got to deep into the secondary's.

Last edited:
Oh yeah that 389 had monster torque and like all Pontiac big blocks it came in down low. My late friend from that many years ago had a 66 Dodge Coronet 500 with a 383 4bbl. Total stripper. No power assist anything, no ac nothing. With just a tire change to cheaters he was doing mid 12s plus he had 2 or 3 different cams and he became so adept at swapping them he would get a race line up where we street raced, go home strip the stock cam out, uncork the pipes and blow the doors off the opponent. Cork the pipes back up take the car home and put the stocker back in. With cheaters and his best cam he had that thing in low 11s.
I miss the cars, and the "hands on" way of doing things. I don't miss the dread of worrying about the draft and Nam. We had 4 of the guys from the neighborhood who all enlisted together, were all in the same unit and all were wiped out in an ambush by the VC. Sad days those were.

Just like the older Webers, those old muscle cars were awesome machines. The way the manufacturers have brought them back (with updates) shows their appeal. I think Weber has kind of done that by going back to the open cart design.

Personally, my favorite muscle car from that era was the 68 Camero.

Missed out on this one. Thinking it would have been a good pick-up for free.

https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/zip/d/weber-summit-gold-grill/6770833233.html

DxgwZOqt.jpg

kKLqNOGt.jpg

s95Dqsat.jpg

kKLqNOGt.jpg

That 3000 is interesting. It is a special edition grill as well. Not sure what "RALPHS" is however.
My sister is from the St Louis area, but she is up here visiting the parents right now.

The Summit would have been a great "FREE" pickup as well.

That summit would be a good deal if the insides were in great shape. However, we know they many times are not and the fact that the owner doesn't show any photos of the inside of the cook box or the cabinet tells me it has issues.

My wife and I both drove what were considered muscle cars in the mid 70s when we were dating. She drove a black 72 dodge charger. I had a 76 mustang cobra. Her charger was beautiful. It also had the 440 magnum so it was a beast.

My mustang had a V8 crammed into a very small engine compartment. I had a friend with a Mazda rx7. We used to drag race some. The rx7 was faster off the line but I would catch and pass him further down the line.

Good times. In some ways I miss those cars but in some ways I don't. I don't miss how unreliable those cars were. Modern cars have it all over cars from that era in reliability.

Closest I came to a "Muscle Car" was a 74 Mercury Comet with the 302 V8. The Ford 302 was a great motor and with that small block V8, it would smoke the hell out of the tires. When I traded it in, I had the bumper in the trunk because it literally fell off from rust. But, damned it that thing still didn't run like a top.

There has been a Summit in my neighborhood for weeks. Not sure if the price is fair but I prefer to stay with the smaller grills.
https://offerup.com/item/detail/589655585/

That one at least looks like it has been taken care of. $400 is a little high, but if the firebox has a stainless front or is otherwise somehow intact, with the rotisseries and everything it is a nice grill. WAY better than the current model Summits in my estimation.

Bruce my car after the Mustang was.......a Comet. Not a very cool car but it was more reliable than the mustang even though it was older.

Wish I had a little more notice on that 3000 in St Lou. That would have been in my garage with
a blue lid on it tonight.

My wife and I both drove what were considered muscle cars in the mid 70s when we were dating. She drove a black 72 dodge charger. I had a 76 mustang cobra. Her charger was beautiful. It also had the 440 magnum so it was a beast.

My mustang had a V8 crammed into a very small engine compartment. I had a friend with a Mazda rx7. We used to drag race some. The rx7 was faster off the line but I would catch and pass him further down the line.

Good times. In some ways I miss those cars but in some ways I don't. I don't miss how unreliable those cars were. Modern cars have it all over cars from that era in reliability.

By then they were pretty much emasculated. They were running govt mandated low compression for unleaded gas just coming on board. The charger likely had a 318 or 360 V8 but they were only shadows of just a few years prior. Your Stang was a rebodied Pinto in those days.
The 302 was a fine little V8 but not what it was back in the days of the REAL Boss 302 with 11:1 compression, high lift and duration cam, high flow heads and manifolds, along with a list of other things. If memory serves me correctly that generation 302 you had was about 125hp compared to the 300+ prior to 1971. Huge difference.

Yah, back in the good old days, your goal was 1 horsepower per Cubic Inch. So, if you could get 350 hp out of a GM 350 CI engine, you were doing good.
Now, with all the advances in intakes and ignition along with the computerization, it is common to get 1 to 1 out of a motor coming out of the factory.

By then they were pretty much emasculated. They were running govt mandated low compression for unleaded gas just coming on board. The charger likely had a 318 or 360 V8 but they were only shadows of just a few years prior. Your Stang was a rebodied Pinto in those days.
The 302 was a fine little V8 but not what it was back in the days of the REAL Boss 302 with 11:1 compression, high lift and duration cam, high flow heads and manifolds, along with a list of other things. If memory serves me correctly that generation 302 you had was about 125hp compared to the 300+ prior to 1971. Huge difference.

Nah the wife's Charger had the 440 magnum. Rare but the top engine offered by dodge that year. My brother is a car guy and still talks about that car with the magnum engine.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/1972-Dodge-Charger-Overview-c6501

Both cars may have been "emasculated " but we (wife/then girlfriend) had about the hottest and fastest cars of our group of friends.
As I said the mustang wasn't a good car overall. Poorly built and unreliable.

Back