I want to smoke some pastrami, need help.

Bruno

TVWBB Honor Circle
So i hope Chris doesn’t mind, i’m kinda stuck in the SF section.

I want to smoke a pastrami on the SF, any suggestions, recipes would be awesome.

Also where would I post this question otherwise?

I don't know if you're wanting to cure your own or buy a corned beef brisket. The only pastrami I've done has been Chris' quick pastrami in the Cooking Topics section, so I have no comparison but I've always enjoyed that recipe. I discard the store-packaged rub and mix the spices outlined in his recipe that he linked above. The only thing I address is a thick fat cap if one is present; I prefer a narrow cap, so I trim it if necessary.

As a matter of fact, I did one on Sunday but utilized the RT-700.

20191228_095834.jpg

Thanks guys, I’m going to do Chris’s quick pastrami first. I had planned on doing a brisket this weekend but that plan may have just changed!!

Ive done both, and the quick one was not as good, imo.
It was cheaper and easier by far.

I would encourage a meat slicer too.
Pretty easy to slice, vac seal, freeze

I'm thinking of doing this myself. I've got a brisket flat in the freezer. I'll probably go the dry cure route.

I do Chris' quick pastrami every March (there's usually a good selection of corned beef flats around St. Patty's Day). It's delicious. The only problem down this way is finding a proper Jewish rye bread.

Jeff

Just visited Sam's Club, and they had some nice corned beef (with separate seasoning packet, as Chris recommends). Got a 3.75 lb. one for under $15.

Grobbel's was the brand name. Will use for quick pastrami.

1106-1126-1129-1407-1427.jpg

Also grabbed a 5 lb. hunk of flat for dry cured pastrami. May have to freeze one and space them out.

This will be my first attempt(s) at pastrami. If it's even 50% as good as Katz's Deli in NYC, it will be great.

I just picked up 4.5 pounder from my butcher, $7.99 a pound but they brine it there and it’s a beautiful piece of meat, soaking in water now. She goes on in the morning.

Put her on at 3 AM and just wrapped, right now it’s in butcher paper, I might foil it in a little bit to steam it at the end.

Picked up a corned beef with a separate spice pack at Costco yesterday will be doing a quick pastrami next week, I hope if the weather holds.

So this corned beef wasn’t packed like that, I got it from my butcher who makes killer corned beef. The ones I saw at Safeway had up to 35% .So I don’t know how much solution is even injected in this. I did rinse it for about 6 hours and let it sit in the fridge over night.
ground some coriander mustard seed and pepper, we’ll see how it comes out. This thing hit a stall at 150 and wouldn’t move.

All corned beef in the stores are not alike. Some are flats, some are points. Some injected, others not. Some are tenderized, others not. A flat, non-injected, non-tenderized corned beef is your best bet, but will cost more than others. I have seen whole briskets prepped as corned beef. Best of luck on what you find at your store.

Back