How Much Water?

f.nathan.walsh

TVWBB Member
I have a feeling I am using too much water in the pan of my WSM. Usually I use a full pan of warm water no matter what I cooking. Out of curiosity, can you let me know how much water you put in the pan when you cook: 1) pork shoulder 2) side ribs 3) brisket.

Thanks all, and happy 4th too everyone south of the border.

I don't use water, just out of curiosity have you tried cooking with no water and see how you like it?

I'm doing an overnight brisket cook. I only used 1 1/2 gallons maybe 2. I don't always use water. I don't think it matters as long as it doesn't over flow. I'm wrapping in butcher paper. So if I don't have enough for the last of the cook it's not the end of the world.

I have always used water and no mater what I am cooking I fill the bowl. Leave about an inch empty on the top. Am going to try no water but am just unsure about that. Good Luck.

Like Bob, when I used water, I filled it to about an inch from the top. Haven't used water for quite a while now, just a (aluminum) foiled terra cotta saucer that fits into the bowl (sits on the lip, not in the bowl.

Only have to toss a greasy foil now, no water to dispose of in the lower forty.

The older WSM's used the lid from a Smokey Joe for the water bowl, the newer ones use the charcoal bowl which holds a lot more water for overnight smokes.
I have the older one and the only time I use water is for Spiral sliced hams and I only fill it halfway.

Tim

I use no water at all. I just foil the top of the water pan, pushing down into the pan, so that I have a place to collect the grease but air space under the foil so the grease doesn't burn. I have no problem maintaining temps (I cook pork butts and ribs at 275 degrees) and clean up is a breeze.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

You're def putting too much in, the correct amount for all the cooks you mentioned is ZERO! Ask Harry Soo....

Having just taken Harry Soo's class, I have his class book on my desk. On page 5 of the class book is "Harry's BBQ Wisdom". Two that stand out are
#7 Always have FUN when you BBQ even if results are otherwise!
#8 Everything you learn from me today can be WRONG!

I think Harry would probably tell you that whatever works for you is a good thing. I have always used water in my pan. Many here don't use water and have great results. You have to giants in the field using different techniques and they both turn out great Q. I have never has Franklin's food but from all reports here, it is fabulous. I have had Harry's food and can tell you that it is some of the best Q I have ever had. The bottom line is to do what makes you happy and works for you.

I am going to try no water in the near future because I had a little trouble with temps coming back up doing 3 racks of spares at 275* last Saturday. When I am cooking at 225* I will probably always use water since that works for me.

All the different pro's use different techniques and they all put out great food. For that reason I refer back to #7 above. Just enjoy this wonderful obsession we all have and don't sweet the small stuff.

Just my 20 cents worth.

Just did a 10lb Prime packer brisket last week. I had some extra time, so I wanted to keep the cooker at around 225 for a real low and slow. It stayed between 220 and 240 for most of the 14 hours it was on. Started with a full pan of water and didn't add any. There was about a quart left at the end. Incidentally, it went all 14 hours on one load of charcoal and wood (oak and pecan), which surprised me. Result was excellent.

I went waterless for a while, but always use it now (except for poultry).

Jeff

I moved from whole water pan (4gallons or more) to 1/3 biberon/feeding bottle.
Just enough to assure moist enviroment in the very first 1 (pork ribs) or 2 (beef ribs brisket and BB) hours.
I smoke at 225-250F

I never have used water just a foiled water pan and I am happy with the results I get. With that said I don't do overnight cooks and I live at 5600 feet where the air is thinner and it's easier to keep temps low, so I can't compare apples and oranges.

Well, now that you're thoroughly confused, do this:

whatever you want.

OR

Try with one cook,, try without another and arrive at your own conclusions.

I think Len has the best idea. It's not like there's only ONE was to cook good BBQ ! ! ! And . . . . anybody who thinks that there is only ONE way is just silly.

Me, I use water for butts & briskets but don't for ribs or chicken. In my brain, it makes sense that on longer cooks I might want a more humid environment during the pre-wrap cooking period. But, *** do I know. I've never come in first in a competition, but then again my family and friends say I cook the best they've ever eaten.

If you used water and got good results, you may want to continue using water. Then again, what the heck, go dry one time. 'Course then you gotta sort through the clay pot vs. sand camps . . . . :{)

BD

The water only acts as a heat sink to allow you to hold lower temperatures more easily. The more water you put in, the harder it will be to fluctuate the temperature. Since water boils at 212F, it will absorb extra heat and convert it to steam. The absorption of heat and conversion to steam is the main benefit of using water vs something like a filled clay pot. If you are cooking at low temps (215-225F) I would say use as much water as you can. It will take a little longer to heat up, but once there it will hold temps better. If you are cooking at 250-275F I would only add a small amount to help even out heat input. If you aren't using an automatic temperature controller and you are cooking over night, water can give you more of a peace of mind your temps may stay low where you want them.

I tried water a few times in the beginning, but found that it made a big mess, and eventually would cause rust.

I switched to a sand filled water bowl topped off with a foil covered terracotta tray. My thought was, that the sand would be a heat sink... It was very difficult to lift and move the top part of my WSM with all that extra weight of the sand. I did that for 7 years or so.

A few months ago I decided to dump the sand and just use an empty water bowl with the foil lined tray on top. Same exact results - with no extra weight! Only took me 7 years to figure that out!!

Skip the water.

Last edited:

Back