How Much Water?

I realize that the WSM water pan is designed to introduce water into the cooking environment, but frankly, I'm not so sure it is necessary. A lot of the meats we cook are fatty, which keeps the meat pretty moist as it is. I've done it both ways, and frankly I never saw the point of adding water. Using the bowl as a heat sink yes, but not for water. (I saw that after using the water method a lot my first year smoking.) There are a lot of smokers on the market that do not use water, maybe Weber was just thinking fancy when they designed it into their product line. The water is messy too. If you have any scratches in your enamel, it can case rust - which is a whole new flavor to introduce.
I, for one, am not sold on the use of water.

I used water for the first 4-5 smokes when I got my WSM. A big problem for me living in a subdivision is what do I do with all of the grease water? I can't put it down the drain because the grease will clog your main drain over time. I can't toss it in my .20 acre yard because it will attract pest, rodents (skunks love Weber grease), stray pets and possibly larger critters like fox and coyote. I tried mixing it with white vinegar and baking soda then dump it in a newspaper lined trash bag.

That is when I converted to a foil covered 16" clay saucer and wrapping the entire water pan in foil. When done, unwrap and throw everything in the trash. The foil on the clay saucer usually lasts 2-3 smokes depending on how well I wrap the water pan.

I can't tell the difference in meat flavor, moistness or maintaining temp because both water and the clay saucer serve as a heat sink just one is more constant and does not evaporate. The big difference for me is during the cleanup. I'm a weekend smoker. If I start prep and smoking Friday evening, I am usually "done, done" early Sunday afternoon ie everything put away, all meat portioned and sealed, everything cleaned and stored.

My 2 cents :)

Last edited:
Gene, I've cooked with and without and for me, I prefer the extra humidity. I have solved the what-to-do-with-the-greasy-water problem in two ways. First, I try to end up with a quart or less at the end of a cook. How much water to start with is guesswork, but with experience, I can get close. Also, I typically only cook on the top grate, so I sit a 14" foil-wrapped clay saucer on the bottom grate to catch drippings. It's about the same diameter as the water pan, so it gets most everything. We have the advantage of acreage out here in the country, so all the ash and the little bit of nasty water goes into the fire pit.

Jeff

not using water is a religion to some here. I don't get the pressure to go no water. many people including, aaron franklin, see the benefit. I've tried both and I prefer water. I either dump the coals into a trash bag and then the water on top or just dump the water on my side gravel patio. I've noticed no strange smells or stains, nor any rodents. it takes me minutes to clean up. I don't get the handwringing over the fuss. try both and decide for yourself.

Seven years on TVWBB for me and this topic has probably came up about a bazillion times, and this is my first comment about it.

I have always used water and probably always will. For long brisket and butt cooks, I fill it all the way up. For shorter rib cooks I only fill it about 1/2 way.

The OP asked a simple question: How much water to use?
And like many threads, it goes sideways. :confused:

Tim

Well, now that you're thoroughly confused, do this:

whatever you want.

OR

Try with one cook,, try without another and arrive at your own conclusions.

Really appreciate everyone's advice, but I think the only solution is keep trying different setups. Thanks everyone.

I used water for the first 4-5 smokes when I got my WSM. A big problem for me living in a subdivision is what do I do with all of the grease water? I can't put it down the drain because the grease will clog your main drain over time. I can't toss it in my .20 acre yard because it will attract pest, rodents (skunks love Weber grease), stray pets and possibly larger critters like fox and coyote. I tried mixing it with white vinegar and baking soda then dump it in a newspaper lined trash bag.

That is when I converted to a foil covered 16" clay saucer and wrapping the entire water pan in foil. When done, unwrap and throw everything in the trash. The foil on the clay saucer usually lasts 2-3 smokes depending on how well I wrap the water pan.

I can't tell the difference in meat flavor, moistness or maintaining temp because both water and the clay saucer serve as a heat sink just one is more constant and does not evaporate. The big difference for me is during the cleanup. I'm a weekend smoker. If I start prep and smoking Friday evening, I am usually "done, done" early Sunday afternoon ie everything put away, all meat portioned and sealed, everything cleaned and stored.

My 2 cents :)

That is also what I am up against and one of the reasons I started the thread. Im going to use substantially less water or none at all going forward.

Back