How many habaneros is too many?

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Well, when I saw that my salsa recipe called for 24 of them, I thought it might be too many......pretty sure I was right! :oops:

1629350810446.jpeg

If this salsa doesn't mellow a bit overnight, I will need to cut it with some tomatoes or something! Hoo baby! That's hot!!! šŸ¤Æ

24...oh my goodness, yep that is too many for me! They look great being blacken on the grill at least. Hey, so I know you are rehabbing your redhead gasser, is she back up and running or is this on a different grill?

Those look delicious....I know that garlic is good too, I usually nibble a bit on the charred soft garlic.
Makes peeling a breeze compared to raw garlic.

Yeah, put your glasses on when reading recipes! :p
I made roasted veggie verde salsa a few weeks back.
1 Serrano with a few seeds and 2 jalapenos 1 with some seeds and the other with zero..
This was considerably warmer than I wanted it to be and I like a medium to hot in spice.
I really want to believe it was 2 to 4 in your recipe....!but I know there are recipes like that out there.

Here's the recipe. It is, indeed, 24 habaneros!
How many gallons of salsa are you making?
...about 12 ounces!
24...oh my goodness, yep that is too many for me! They look great being blacken on the grill at least. Hey, so I know you are rehabbing your redhead gasser, is she back up and running or is this on a different grill?
Nope, the redhead is still in progress, working on the frame right now. I'm using the Skyline my neighbor gave me as my working gasser, it'll be up in the queue after the Summit I just picked up this week.....planning a full restore with redwood slats for that one. :)

R

Wow thatā€™s a lot of habaneros! The recipe does say itā€™s ā€œincredibly fieryā€, they arenā€™t kidding!

Wow thatā€™s a lot of habaneros! The recipe does say itā€™s ā€œincredibly fieryā€, they arenā€™t kidding!
I just tasted it again, and, for me, it's not edible. I'm going to put some heavy char on some tomatoes, blend that up, and mix until I've got something that is better balanced for heat/flavor.

Ya never know until you try something, but in retrospect, this should have been obvious! :)

R

I just tasted it again, and, for me, it's not edible. I'm going to put some heavy char on some tomatoes, blend that up, and mix until I've got something that is better balanced for heat/flavor.

Ya never know until you try something, but in retrospect, this should have been obvious! :)

R
I would char tomatoes, onions and limes over charcoal....
It's going to take a bunch :LOL:
You are going to have a gallon and a half of salsa.
Jar it up and share it with friends right away, it has a fair shelf life but very fresh tasting salsa like this make friends....
I just went through a similar situation.

I would char tomatoes, onions and limes over charcoal....
It's going to take a bunch :LOL:
You are going to have a gallon and a half of salsa.
Jar it up and share it with friends right away, it has a fair shelf life but very fresh tasting salsa like this make friends....
I just went through a similar situation.
Yeah, that's what I came up with, too, Darryl. Essentially, I'm going to make another salsa (with no chiles), and then add heat to it with my habanero salsa. It'll work out fine, though as you say, I'll have a bunch! :)

R

Yeah, I just walk over to the neighbor's, they are used to me by now.....I just hand it to them and they take whatever I give them....
No questions. If they look confused I elaborate a bit so it sounds like I did a lot of work or it is SO SO SO good...;)
They do not bbq at all, they moved in and capped off the freshly installed gas line for a bbq. She is vegan and he is a trucker that now is mostly vegan type eating....lol......but he loves it when I knock on the door, its usually around 7 on a Saturday or Sunday morning.
He loves the jerky the most, but anything will do...like smoked salmon was a hit.
So I am rambling but seriously it will taste so darn good people will eat it up with spoons if you give it to them.

R
Maybe make some salsa and add a tiny bit of this in it. Don't ruin good and bad...
Course we're guys so we do it the other way. 2 dozen hobbies. Hmmm. Had a friend who grew sage. It overwintered and took over. How much stuffing can you make, even at a homeless shelter.
24 habies. Well use an eye dripper and season turkey burgers. Insect repellent. Prius catalytic convertor anti theft

The first hot pepper I ever had was a jalapeƱo at Ft Sam Houston in San Antonio. The cooks were all Mexicans and were really good cooks. They would bring jalapeƱos from their gardens. Itā€™s amazing how quickly you can go from 1 on a burger to 5 or 6 and add them to your eggs or SOS.
Still, I donā€™t see how you could build up a tolerance for 24 habaneros in 12 oz of salsa.

When the one review said he likes hot but this will melt your face off, I would of steered clear.
One IMO is too many.:p

Back