Honda Lawn Mowers to be Discontinued

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Toro that I purchased from HD. I just changed the oil, spark plug, air filter & put fresh premium gas it today. It started on the second pull & I just mowed for the first time this year.
Change the oil? There's no check engine light on. Is every 10 years too often? šŸ˜œ

Agree - add to that that it seems the majority of people are too busy or too lazy to mow their own grass and just don't own mowers anymore.
Yep, and you don't even see the neighbor hood kid pushing a lawnmower down the street looking for a few bucks.
Now you have the commercial guys pulling up with a trailer and will mow a average size lawn for $25.00.

Yep, and you don't even see the neighbor hood kid pushing a lawnmower down the street looking for a few bucks.
Now you have the commercial guys pulling up with a trailer and will mow a average size lawn for $25.00.
In my mom's subdivision is an industrious kid who mows several lawns during the summer and also shovels driveways in the winter. He has an old Chevy pickup that he wants to restore so he's trying to earn as much as he can.

Electric mowers & other outdoor equipment may be what people are going to, however I just don't see gas completely ever going away. I have empty lots next to me & in season I weed eat sometimes for at least 4 hours. My two neighbors across the street have 4-5 acre lots, it's at least +4 hours on their zero turn mowers. I believe that JD makes an electric zero turn, it's good for 2 hours.
That's my biggest problem with electric, runtime. I do have a battery powered leaf blower that I use and like, it uses the same batteries that all my other tools use and I have four of those. The blower will completely kill one battery on one normal usage. Toro came out with a battery powered Super Recycler model recently but by everything I have read it probably won't hold a charge long enough to mow my lawn before needing a lengthy recharge. An extra battery is $300 so that kind of lets me out on initial cost right there.

From what I've learned, high amp-hour lithium battery anything is just stupid because there isn't enough lithium in the world for everybody. Lets get everybody covered with watch and cellphone and gadget batteries first, then electric drills and some basic power tools. Next I would push e-bikes and cargo bikes. If there's enough, do weed whackers and chainsaws and outdoor power equipment, then mowers, snowthrowers, and riding mowers. Electric cars and trucks seem like a waste of precious resources.

From what I've learned, high amp-hour lithium battery anything is just stupid because there isn't enough lithium in the world for everybody. Lets get everybody covered with watch and cellphone and gadget batteries first, then electric drills and some basic power tools. Next I would push e-bikes and cargo bikes. If there's enough, do weed whackers and chainsaws and outdoor power equipment, then mowers, snowthrowers, and riding mowers. Electric cars and trucks seem like a waste of precious resources.
I like people that have electric cars. That leaves me plenty of premium unleaded for my manual transmission car.

Batteries donā€™t just randomly decide to blow up. Doesnā€™t happen. Enjoy your gasser.
Well, sometimes they do. But there are usually underlying reasons which may not always be apparent. And it's rare.

Last edited:
The thing that I keep thinking about is that that electricity is coming from somewhere, where and what is THAT power source?
Just food for thought, now Iā€™m off the make some food for the inner man!

Largely an ā€œissueā€ that isnā€™t an issue. Can they? Sure. Do they? Yep. Is it a common problem? Nope.

I can tell how a convo would go, so itā€™s not going to go very far. Iā€™ve had a vehicle battery boil and almost blow up. Am I scared of them? Hell no! I would be a fool to be.

Batteries donā€™t just randomly decide to blow up. Doesnā€™t happen. Enjoy your gasser.

And Iā€™ll reiterate in case it was missed, I wonā€™t be getting rid of my gas and diesel vehicles EVER
Actually its becoming increasingly more and more common because more and more of them are being used. A lithium battery is way different then a car battery when it explodes. I hate to tell you, but I have lithium battery products and I also know they come with very real dangers.

Uhhhmmm lithium batteries actually do just blow up, and that has been happening in many products from phones, laptops, scooters, cars, power tools you name it. You may think you'll keep your gas vehicle, until you will no longer be able to fuel them or they are banned. It won't be overnight, but it will happen at some point. So called clean energy isn't going away.

Actually its becoming increasingly more and more common because more and more of them are being used. A lithium battery is way different then a car battery when it explodes. I hate to tell you, but I have lithium battery products and I also know they come with very real dangers.

Uhhhmmm lithium batteries actually do just blow up, and that has been happening in many products from phones, laptops, scooters, cars, power tools you name it. You may think you'll keep your gas vehicle, until you will no longer be able to fuel them or they are banned. It won't be overnight, but it will happen at some point. So called clean energy isn't going away.
I'm actually responsible for causing a new facilities policy at my client, when the battery in my cell phone started to swell a few years ago. It never did heat up, but did swell to about 150% of normal thickness.

Every once in a while, I'll see a social media post linking to a battery piercing video.... that's really, really stupid, IMO.

As far as the original post goes.... Honda is seeing the writing on the wall. 2 stroke motors have been unavailable for quite a few years now, and small engines are known for rather dirty combustion by-products. I'll agree with the suggestion that lithium based batteries are probably not a long term viable proposition. We'll have to figure out how to realistically recycle old batteries, and I'll suspect that at least in the near term that it'll be ever dirtier than lead-acid battery recycling.

I saw the news about Honda mowers a bit ago and was really bummed. I still use my old 1983 Honda HR214 PX to cut my grass. These are the Weber Genesis 1000 of mowers. They run as sweet as can be and they literally last forever - and Honda still has parts for them (albeit expensive). Yep,it still starts on the first pull (usually).

I saw the news about Honda mowers a bit ago and was really bummed. I still use my old 1983 Honda HR214 PX to cut my grass. These are the Weber Genesis 1000 of mowers. They run as sweet as can be and they literally last forever - and Honda still has parts for them (albeit expensive). Yep,it still starts on the first pull (usually).
Actually the ( insert any name brand here) lawnmowers from the 80's or 90's were better machines for a couple of reasons. They didn't suffer from fuel and carb issues born from mandates to give fewer emissions and the quality of the machine itself was just better. In other words, your Honda lawnmower is better than the new ones and my 1996 Toro can run circles around anything put out today, yes same as a Genesis 1000 grill!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back