Honda Lawn Mowers to be Discontinued

Status
Not open for further replies.
I converted over to EGO and love it. I have mower, string, blower and 3 batteries. It stands on side when done and doesn't take up any room, I sometimes need to swap batteries at about 2/3 of a 3/4 acre lot, but it is faster than refueling I would have had to do with a gasser. Much quieter and no fumes. I first tried the 40V Ryobi mower and had lots of issues. Very happy with the EGO.

I converted over to EGO and love it. I have mower, string, blower and 3 batteries. It stands on side when done and doesn't take up any room, I sometimes need to swap batteries at about 2/3 of a 3/4 acre lot, but it is faster than refueling I would have had to do with a gasser. Much quieter and no fumes. I first tried the 40V Ryobi mower and had lots of issues. Very happy with the EGO.
I was at a local landscape equipment dealer and they had battery powered lawn mowers. One line of these mowers had a feature similar to the indoor vacuum Roomba- that would cut the grass unattended.

I can see myself getting one of those some day.

Has anyone actually seen an announcement from Honda, rather than some 3rd party, about the discontinuations ?

I was at a local landscape equipment dealer and they had battery powered lawn mowers. One line of these mowers had a feature similar to the indoor vacuum Roomba- that would cut the grass unattended.

I can see myself getting one of those some day.
My dad had a mower that cut the lawn without him attending to it. It was called Son.

Well there's still trains/cars that run on steam, coal, diesel and electric. There will always be gas, and diesel to some extent. I'm saying the vast majority will not be. There's nothing sustainable including oil, petroleum or anything mined. There may always be, but at some point it will be too expensive or hard to extract. There's evolution in every aspect of human life.
Sure. ok.

Son in law has those robot mowers like Roombas. Not this kid. Gimme some nice diesel fumes and the rattle of my Kubota. I LOVE it. Though I have switched all my other equipment to battery. I have DeWalt trimmer, blower, pole chain saw. All work great. I still have my little Honda walk behind as well. That little thing even has a miniature hydrostatic transmission. Amazing little machine.
I don't believe in those things of not changing oil. That's just dumb to me. When that Honda mower dies I will go to a battery one. Because I don't use it enough to justify a gas engined one. I only use it as a backup or for little trimming where it's hard to maneuver a 60" deck 1 ton machine :D I use DeWalt because much of my tool inventory is DeWalt and or Bosch.

Actually the ( insert any name brand here) lawnmowers from the 80's or 90's were better machines for a couple of reasons. They didn't suffer from fuel and carb issues born from mandates to give fewer emissions and the quality of the machine itself was just better.
I have a small fleet of vintage Lawn-Boys, and wouldn't trade them for anything. Except for maybe more Lawn-Boys.

Son in law has those robot mowers like Roombas. Not this kid. Gimme some nice diesel fumes and the rattle of my Kubota. I LOVE it. Though I have switched all my other equipment to battery. I have DeWalt trimmer, blower, pole chain saw. All work great. I still have my little Honda walk behind as well. That little thing even has a miniature hydrostatic transmission. Amazing little machine.
I don't believe in those things of not changing oil. That's just dumb to me. When that Honda mower dies I will go to a battery one. Because I don't use it enough to justify a gas engined one. I only use it as a backup or for little trimming where it's hard to maneuver a 60" deck 1 ton machine :D I use DeWalt because much of my tool inventory is DeWalt and or Bosch.
You got that right, Larry... Nothing like the sound and smells of a Kubota!! Although, in winter when I have the cab on, I sometimes get a little too much exhaust. When the wind hits just right it blows the exhaust right up inside from under the tractor. And of course this seems to happen right when you have a good roll of snow going and the little 3 banger is doing some actual work, making all the exhaust it can:ROFLMAO: . I'm thinking of taking out the downward turned pipe and putting on a little stack like the older ones had. Those blow the exhaust away from the operator - makes more sense to me.

I purposely got the 54 inch deck because my yard was too lumpy for the 60. Even the 54 "shaves" the lumps down sometimes. I use the Honda for the front and side yards because it has a bag and makes it look nice. The Kubota does the heavier stuff out back.

I'd be lost without my little Kubota. She plows the yard (snow), cuts the heavy weeds, and carries (or drags) all the heavy stuff for me. I have no idea *how* I made it so far in life without this fabulous machine. A couple of pictures... One with cab-on (moving the new washing machine) and one with cab-off moving a pretty heavy chunk of iron (antique air compressor crankcase). In the cab-off photo you can see the little heater I installed on the transmission tunnel.

Attachments

• compressor block.JPG
    compressor block.JPG
    283.4 KB · Views: 12
  • new washer.JPG
    new washer.JPG
    221.7 KB · Views: 12
You got that right, Larry... Nothing like the sound and smells of a Kubota!! Although, in winter when I have the cab on, I sometimes get a little too much exhaust. When the wind hits just right it blows the exhaust right up inside from under the tractor. And of course this seems to happen right when you have a good roll of snow going and the little 3 banger is doing some actual work, making all the exhaust it can:ROFLMAO: . I'm thinking of taking out the downward turned pipe and putting on a little stack like the older ones had. Those blow the exhaust away from the operator - makes more sense to me.

I purposely got the 54 inch deck because my yard was too lumpy for the 60. Even the 54 "shaves" the lumps down sometimes. I use the Honda for the front and side yards because it has a bag and makes it look nice. The Kubota does the heavier stuff out back.

I'd be lost without my little Kubota. She plows the yard (snow), cuts the heavy weeds, and carries (or drags) all the heavy stuff for me. I have no idea *how* I made it so far in life without this fabulous machine. A couple of pictures... One with cab-on (moving the new washing machine) and one with cab-off moving a pretty heavy chunk of iron (antique air compressor crankcase). In the cab-off photo you can see the little heater I installed on the transmission tunnel.
Nice machine. Bigger than mine. If you look at my posts from last spring you can see all the work I did on it. Did a nice cosmetic resto on it. Oddly back when i had gasoline tractors (my old Allis Chalmers B series), then my Queen Mary sized Simplicity Sovereign, the little Honda 4514 I has last. When I would come in the house I smelled terribly of gasoline exhaust fumes. But no such malady from the Kubota. Would like to have a smaller deck. 60" is over kill, but it's how it came LOL

Yup its possible for the lawn mowers but those engines I imagine will continue to power pressure washers which mine has, reel mowers, aerators and so on. Its gonna be a long time before electric will be able to power those for a long enough duration.
The portable generator industry for residential use is essentially based on the Honda small gas engine and hundreds of knockoffs.

Love my Ego mower and related tools. With a big and small battery I have basically unlimited run time.

Best feature is the headlights. A quiet sunset mow is so zen.

Last edited:
The portable generator industry for residential use is essentially based on the Honda small gas engine and hundreds of knockoffs.
Somewhat interesting story, I bought a Generac pressure washer some years back partly because it was claimed to be Made in USA. After using it and finding it to be satisfactory I left a positive review for it only noting that the engine on it was clearly Chinese. I never could find the review that I left. Fast forward a few years to firing it up for the first time one spring to discover that the pump housing had cracked (my own fault due to improper winter storage) and decided to replace the pump rather than buying a new unit. I then discovered that the pump was made by an Italian company and also not USA based. The only other part of the machine that possibly was made here is the cart, which is definitely the crappiest part of the whole thing. I still like the pressure washer, but Generac's claim of it being made in the USA really kind of irritated me after that.

Even many of the Honda engines are now made in China. And if you look at things like Predator engines from Hazard Fraught they are perfect identical copies of Honda engines. So much so I have seen where folks have actually swapped in OEM Honda parts into them. My Toro snow blower which proudly says Made in USA has one of those Chinese engines on it. Oh it works fine and all. But, it just "hurts" a little

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back