Honda Lawn Mowers to be Discontinued

Status
Not open for further replies.

John_NJ

TVWBB Wizard
I just learned about this yesterday.

Anyone who has ever owned a Honda lawn mower will probably be saddened about this.

I believe it’s pertinent to a bbq forum because some of the reasons Honda is getting out of the game in the US could eventually affect outdoor grilling.

My opinion.

Fwiw:

A Honda spokesperson told Family Handyman that the decision was “driven by market forces such as stricter environmental regulations, shifting customer preferences and our focus on growing profitable products in our portfolio.

Not sure if this is just in the U.S. or not. I recently purchased a new mower and single stage blower last fall. The single stage blower (HS720) is apparently no longer available on the U.S. site, but is on the Canadian site. If I were a betting man, I’m guessing you’ll see battery operated (electric) blowers and mowers come back shortly to compete against Toro and Ego.

Ariens stopped making push mowers 2 years ago as well. (At least according to my local shop. They’ve now switched to Toro exclusively.)

Edit: Appears Ariens is back in stock now… gas powered as well.

Last edited:
Interesting that Honda would choose to leave a market where they and Toro are still considered to be the two best lawnmower brands. I probably wouldn't mind having an electric lawnmower when my trusty Toro finally dies, but I am still concerned with run time and battery replacement cost.

Honda may be big enough that they can do this and not consider electric options. I don’t know.

I will say, all my stuff is being converted to electric. My weed eater is Milwaukee. My next mower will either be Milwaukee or Ego. My snowblower will be Ego. I won’t even consider gas options.

Vehicles? COMPLETELY different story. It’s not sustainable and largely an answer to a question no one is asking, for a problem almost no one is asking.

My mower is a Toro, $350 or so at Home Depot. It’s good, does well. But sometimes really doesn’t want to start, namely first start of the season. I can plug two batteries in and be done by the time the gasser is running.

Also, this is old news

Honda may be big enough that they can do this and not consider electric options. I don’t know.

I will say, all my stuff is being converted to electric. My weed eater is Milwaukee. My next mower will either be Milwaukee or Ego. My snowblower will be Ego. I won’t even consider gas options.

Vehicles? COMPLETELY different story. It’s not sustainable and largely an answer to a question no one is asking, for a problem almost no one is asking.

My mower is a Toro, $350 or so at Home Depot. It’s good, does well. But sometimes really doesn’t want to start, namely first start of the season. I can plug two batteries in and be done by the time the gasser is running.

Also, this is old news
Until the batteries fail or blow up. I had one for a weed eater almost do so last fall. It pushed the side of the case apart, I got rid of it in a hurry. Its basically a bomb if they explode. Replacement cost, I found 1 for $205.00 most places say discontinued. I paid almost $400 for the weed eater. I think it works good not as powerful as a gas one though. Mower would be even worse IMO depending on type of grass. Batteries may be cleaner in some ways, but worse in other ways. Environmentally speaking.

Cars are very expensive for either gas powered motor or battery failure, and have special cost of disposal for battery packs and are strictly watched for disposal. They don't last as long as gas engines either so you're gonna have more issues with electric and down time plus cost in the long run.

Last edited:
Interesting that Honda would choose to leave a market where they and Toro are still considered to be the two best lawnmower brands.
My guess.

Re engineering costs to meet new emission standards are likely high.

Declining market as some states have set a date to ban all sales of gas lawnmowers and blowers and even generators.

Not enough future market to recover R&D costs.

Bought my first and only mower in 1995. A Honda self propelled mulching mower, for around $500.

Sold it in 2021 for $240 after we decided no more lawn, but plants and drip only.

I bought a Makita electric trimmer to help knock down weeds and general keep up. Absolutely love it.

No gas to buy and store. Trimmer starts up every time. Trimmer runtime on two large batteries is around 45 mins in high speed.

Between hand tools and such, we have 4 batteries. So if the trimmer runs out, just do a quick swap.

While the switch to electric mowers is coming, I personally see it as a reasonable step towards less air pollution and noise pollution.

Just don’t take away my charcoal grill. I won’t give it up.

I really don’t have any idea what you’re talking about though.
Please familiarize yourself with the forum terms and rules...I know that no one reads them at the time of registration. We avoid many topics of controversial discussion, including politics/government, and discussion of government regulations would fall into that category.

Please familiarize yourself with the forum terms and rules...I know that no one reads them at the time of registration. We avoid many topics of controversial discussion, including politics/government, and discussion of government regulations would fall into that category.
I am familiar with forum rules in general.

No politics.

How hard is it to not talk about?

Easy for me.

I’ll just leave it at that.

Thanks for having me.

Cheers.

Also, this is old news
I have a Toro that I purchased from HD. I just changed the oil, spark plug, air filter & put fresh premium gas it today. It started on the second pull & I just mowed for the first time this year.

Electric mowers & other outdoor equipment may be what people are going to, however I just don't see gas completely ever going away. I have empty lots next to me & in season I weed eat sometimes for at least 4 hours. My two neighbors across the street have 4-5 acre lots, it's at least +4 hours on their zero turn mowers. I believe that JD makes an electric zero turn, it's good for 2 hours.

Until the batteries fail or blow up. I had one for a weed eater almost do so last fall. It pushed the side of the case apart, I got rid of it in a hurry. Its basically a bomb if they explode. Replacement cost, I found 1 for $205.00 most places say discontinued. I paid almost $400 for the weed eater. I think it works good not as powerful as a gas one though. Mower would be even worse IMO depending on type of grass. Batteries may be cleaner in some ways, but worse in other ways. Environmentally speaking.

Cars are very expensive for either gas powered motor or battery failure, and have special cost of disposal for battery packs and are strictly watched for disposal. They don't last as long as gas engines either so you're gonna have more issues with electric and down time plus cost in the long run.
Largely an “issue” that isn’t an issue. Can they? Sure. Do they? Yep. Is it a common problem? Nope.

I can tell how a convo would go, so it’s not going to go very far. I’ve had a vehicle battery boil and almost blow up. Am I scared of them? Hell no! I would be a fool to be.

Batteries don’t just randomly decide to blow up. Doesn’t happen. Enjoy your gasser.

And I’ll reiterate in case it was missed, I won’t be getting rid of my gas and diesel vehicles EVER

My guess.

Re engineering costs to meet new emission standards are likely high.

Declining market as some states have set a date to ban all sales of gas lawnmowers and blowers and even generators.

Not enough future market to recover R&D costs.

Agree - add to that that it seems the majority of people are too busy or too lazy to mow their own grass and just don't own mowers anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back