His/Hers Chicken

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
It was just me and my daughter for dinner last night, but I had a roaster that needed to be cooked up. I was in the mood for spicy, but that's not her thing. So, I halved the chicken.....her half got just straight rub (Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express) with some under the skin with a little butter. My half got the DP rub with a generous dusting of Chipotle powder, then I stuffed a bunch of jalapeno rings (with butter and rub) under the skin of the breast as well as the leg/thigh quarter. Got the grill going at 400F with Grill Grates down on half. Went about an hour flipping every 10 minutes, using the GG for the skin side to crisp things up.

I only got a couple of pics because I got, well, lazy! (and we were hungry, so once the chicken was done, we were just eating, not snapping pics! Plated up with some skillet potatoes and a spinach salad. The chicken turned out nice and juicy, and the heat level for me was just what I was looking for......not a beat you over the head heat, but a nice, low heat that lingered for a while. Oh, and it was bread day, too! :)

1644246738887.jpeg

1644246749280.jpeg

1644246758274.jpeg

Looks amazing, I would never of thought to add the slice jalapenos under the chicken skin. That trick is being tucked away for later. I hope you enjoyed the time with just the two of you. I love when I get time with just one of kids by themselves.

Looks amazing, I would never of thought to add the slice jalapenos under the chicken skin. That trick is being tucked away for later. I hope you enjoyed the time with just the two of you. I love when I get time with just one of kids by themselves.
Don't forget to tuck a little butter in there, too! :)

R

Rich, that bread...how?? Starter? Levain?
Yep, naturally leavened. I do a two-stage build on my starter/mother that I keep in the fridge. I feed it at a ratio of 1:2:2 (starter:flour:water), and let it go until doubled (about four hours.) I then build my levain for my loaves from that, which, in my case is 60g:95g:95g and either let that go four hours or overnight depending on my bake schedule and how sour I want the final loaves. The dough formula is about 30% whole wheat (hard winter white, durum, rye, all freshly ground in my Komo mill). Bulked about 4.5 hours with some stretch/folds. 1 hour room temp proof after shaping, then 3 hours in fridge before baking. Baked at 475F on a stone covered for 20 minutes, and uncovered for 25 minutes. That's the short version.......happy to share the long version if anyone cares! :)

R

It was just me and my daughter for dinner last night, but I had a roaster that needed to be cooked up. I was in the mood for spicy, but that's not her thing. So, I halved the chicken.....her half got just straight rub (Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express) with some under the skin with a little butter. My half got the DP rub with a generous dusting of Chipotle powder, then I stuffed a bunch of jalapeno rings (with butter and rub) under the skin of the breast as well as the leg/thigh quarter. Got the grill going at 400F with Grill Grates down on half. Went about an hour flipping every 10 minutes, using the GG for the skin side to crisp things up.

I only got a couple of pics because I got, well, lazy! (and we were hungry, so once the chicken was done, we were just eating, not snapping pics! Plated up with some skillet potatoes and a spinach salad. The chicken turned out nice and juicy, and the heat level for me was just what I was looking for......not a beat you over the head heat, but a nice, low heat that lingered for a while. Oh, and it was bread day, too! :)

View attachment 45022

View attachment 45023

View attachment 45024
Great looking meal Rich!

Made bread again. This was a few points better. Still a bit doughy, and tasteless. But pretty good. Going to have to try a better recipe/method. Also, i eat way too much.

Attachments

• 20220208_195236.jpg
    20220208_195236.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 3

Back