Help with iced tea debate

Mark Foreman

TVWBB All-Star
Over dinner the other night there was a energetic conversation about which was better - Sweet (think southern) or unsweetened iced tea.

We were pretty much divided. I personally like both depending on the time and place.

Whats you preference. If you have a recipe recommendation, please share!

Unsweetened for me and mine. I/we don’t all have the same “sweetness” taste/like, so we’d rather be able to sweeten the tea ourselves. In our experience more often than not, sweet tea is too sweet at restaurants around us.

This is, of course, is all null and void if beer is available. 🍺🍺🍺

It really is the norm in the south, gaining ground up here a little, some people love it, something like pheasant sweat or, otter water, comes out of an otter, some people think it’s a delicacy, I think it’s garp!
I say that with a tip of the hat to the late U. Utah Phillips.

Sweet tea is delicious for about one sip of my wife's. I personally have better things to blow calories on and drink unsweetened.

I make it unsweetened because DH does not like sugar in his. Then I put a little bit of sugar in my glass depending on how much lemon I squeeze in it.

we really don't drink sweet drinks. an occasional soda maybe a few times a year. so that puts us in the non-sweet tea camp. water is our real go to, an a lot of that too.

I go through life phases where my beverage of choice changes. Currently, I drink either water or tea but I want a slight sweetness, so I never order tea at a restaurant. I could ask for half sweet and half unsweet but, imo, that is too high maintenance for a server.

When I make tea at home I do a manual brew from leaves and, separately, I make sugar water to keep on-hand from which I add a hint (or a tad more) of sweetness.

Six weeks ago I ordered a couple brands of K-cup teas from Amazon. One, I didn't care for at all but these two linked below suit me very well by the following: I fill a 1 quart mason jar 2/3 full of ice, brew a 12-ounce K-cup serving, followed by a 4-ounce serving from the same pod. I get 2-3 servings from this brew.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015BKUDQY/?tag=tvwb-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RQ9S1H3/?tag=tvwb-20

1654640355287.png

1654640402545.png

I like my tea sweetened but prefer to order it unsweetened and add artificial sweetener.
When out with a group, I usually just ordered the sweet tea like everyone else, so the server doesn't
have to keep up with different drinks. If it's good tea, I don't mind drinking it completely unsweetened.

So - I guess that puts me in the same boat as Mark. :)

Sun tea! Haven’t made that in 40 years. Honing to do that.
Google "sun tea dangerous". The issue is that you are deliberately leaving it in the temperature danger zone for an extended period of time. The process probably won't kill you but isn't so popular or recommended anymore. Cold brew in the fridge is an alternative.

I can drink it either way. What I do not do is order unsweetened iced tea and add sugar to it. If it's unsweetened I drink it that way.

Back