HeaterMeter Hardware v4.2.4

I received my board today but I am just down the road. Glad it came so quick. Ordered the parts from mouser. Question why is the jack not soldered in?
It's quick because we live two hours apart! :-D

But yup, as John said, if it is soldered in first, it makes the board wobbly during the first few steps of assembly. I much prefer it to be stable so the resistors don't come sliding out when I try to solder them. The plug is one of the easier parts to solder because it is so big too, so I figure it isn't a problem.

That's a copper retaining bar. It goes over the plug once you install it and helps keep it from getting pried off the board when you insert a plug. Solder it in like so:

From all my reading here it is my understanding the blower is connected by the cat5 jack? I can also run a servo for the blower damper if I choose too from same cat5?

751utsil.png

The middle two pins on the ethernet jack are the fan 12V/Gnd then the two outside of those are for the servo. I don't quite understand your question, but can run either/or or both at the same time.

Just trying to get a understanding of how everything is suppose to work. The cat5 runs both the blower and servo for the damper, correct?

Just trying to get a understanding of how everything is suppose to work. The cat5 runs both the blower and servo for the damper, correct?

The CAT5 jack on the HM has the output to control both the servo and the blower, yes. How you make your wiring and what you do with the spare pins/wires (if anything) is up to you.

At home depot they have a cat5 jack you just put the wires from the blower in the jack with the same numbers as the above picture and plug in a cat5 cable inbetween and that's it. if you have a servo, just match numbers with that also.

cat5 jack $2.28
http://www.homedepot.com/p/CE-TECH-Category-5e-Jack-White-5025-WH/204410615

Sorry if this has been discussed - I looked around (quickly) and didn't see.

I think the Mouser parts list has the labels crossed up on these parts:

Qty Value Device Parts
4 BS170 BS170 Q1, Q2, Q4, Q5
1 MCP1700-33 MCP1700-33 IC4

It has qty 1 of q1,2,4,5 and qty 4 of ic4. Qty right just the customer p/n backwards.
Just noticed after soldering the wrong component to one of the BS170 spots, woops.

Yes, this had been reported already. Apparently the part names were mixed up in the mouser cart, but the qty was right... Q1,2,4,5 are BS170 MOSFET transistors and IC4 is the only MCP1700-33 3.3v regulator.

I had thought the Mouser Cart had been fixed but I just loaded it again and it still has the labeling error. I think Bryan needs to edit that cart to correct the mistake, cause I know John B said he corrected it but wasn't sure if it was just on his end, apparently it was. I just corrected the cart and now it seems right on my end, but I assume the next guy to load the cart will still see the part numbers on the wrong line unless Bryan corrects it (or creates a whole new project at Mouser).

I'll check it again in a sec.

Edit: just checked and again it was changed. Hmm, wonder why it keeps changing.

Last edited:
Ahhh, I figured it out, and Bryan needs to redo the whole cart and not just edit that one item.

I changed it on my phones browsers and I rechecked it on the various links and all looked fixed.

Then I checked in on Firefox and again it was wrong, so it's a cookie thing that changes and not the actual item on mouser.

Yeah that's strange. I know people have emailed me before saying "Oh no I modified the cart by mistake!" but when I look it is fine. I deleted all my cookies, edited the project, deleted all my cookies again, and I think it took. Maybe? Thanks for reporting it.

I had loaded/corrected the Mouser Cart in Chrome previously, so that's not a reliable test on my end.... I just loaded it in FireFox and it is correct there too, so I THINK it is fixed, cause I have never loaded it in Firefox before.... The Mouser Carts are nice but can kinda be a PITA at times....

It looks good now. No big deal really, if I had been paying attention I would not have soldered that to the wrong spot!! Funny how speedily I can solder things securely but removal.... fun fun :) Thanks for everything

I had loaded/corrected the Mouser Cart in Chrome previously, so that's not a reliable test on my end.... I just loaded it in FireFox and it is correct there too, so I THINK it is fixed, cause I have never loaded it in Firefox before.... The Mouser Carts are nice but can kinda be a PITA at times....

If you scroll to the bottom of the list and click on "delete project" you can click on the link from the Wiki and it will re-load the project with the correct info.

Back