HeaterMeter Hardware v4.2.4

I'm on this thread because my ET-732 probes bit the dust even though I tried very hard to take good care of them. I'm going thermocouples, hence my interest in Heatermeter.

The ET-732 probe on that page should work fine, Although that's the first 732 that I seen with a clip.

The IQ probes would need to have the coefficients worked out.

Ok, thanks. Someone posted about the HM on another BBQ forum and peaked my interest. I have a Guru digiqu dx2 now but would like to have the wifi setup.

Short time lurker here. I recently purchased a WSM and discovered the HeaterMeter when I was looking for a temperature controller. I'm doing my research on the various options before I order the parts and I have a question about the PCBs you have with the thermocouple amps pre-installed. From what I can gather from the posts, all the surface mount components are pre-installed and the $40-$50 ballpark includes the PCC-SMP-K connector that is not installed. What’s involved in installing the connector?

It's a big ole through-hole connector just like the rest of the HeaterMeter parts. Insert it into the holes and solder it. There's also a little retainer clip piece which also is just inserted into the holes and soldered. I don't pre-install it because it just makes the rest of the assembly a little easier if the board lays flat.

Bryan, I would also like to sign up for one PCB with the thermocouple amp SMD pre-installed , Thanks.

Last edited:
There's no signup or waiting list or anything for pre-SMDed thermocouple boards, so there's no need to post or private message me about them. They'll be first-come first-served once I work out the logistics.

Just wanted to start off by saying this is a great looking product! The object this would be used on will be a CornGlow wood pellet/corn smoker/grill.

So I have been looking at building a wireless web server thermometer reader lately for my dad and was originally going to build it using an Arduino Yun. After talking to a few people they got me into looking at a R Pi as it is much cheaper which is how I ran into this. I do not need a PID setup at all as the smoker this is being used on has a great PID and I really do not feel like messing with that as that would require a much more sophisticated build. My dad has previously used ones meant for pellet smokers but with no luck and has caused the pit to hit over 700F. My knowledge in this area is very basic but I am a quick learner. I have wired temp controllers and such just never done the full construction. I also have a friend that will be helping with coding as I have not done that in years. I have read the instructions enough and see it is actually quite easy to build.

So here are my questions. Is this worth building if all I want is a 4 probe readout with a wireless server setup? And can all probes be thermocouplers, Type K (I see photos only sporting 1)? And if so on both is there a way to add in an ambient thermo/hygro if I am not running a blower?

TIA,
Scott

I may be biased but I think you won't find a better device for remote monitoring BBQ with 1-4 probes. If that's worth the $100 it costs to build is your decision, but if you do decide to go a another route then a lot of the kit can be reused.

There's only 1 thermocouple input on the hardware, which was done because the amplifier circuitry takes up space and adds $8 to the cost of each probe. If you wanted you could build some sort of adapter that feeds back 3 more thermocouples into HeaterMeter and it would read them just fine. There is a hard limit of 4 probes total unless you want to do major software hacking. Not having an output would free up 1 ADC channel and 2 digital pins, but you'd also need to do some code hacking there as well.

I have a pellet grill and built a V4.0 controller for the wireless and 4 temp probes. I have adjusted it for my use and it works great. I drilled a small hole between the case sides and have a USB cable from the PI to the outside so i can run it from a USB phone charger or battery. I don't need the 12v as i don't use a fan. I also have the ambient thermistor soldered into a 2.5mm jack plug. This thing is sweet and i'm about to build a 4.2.4 version.
IMG_0302_zps6879d8d1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

A question on the servo/fan jack, I take it you don't need a servo for the fan, unless you want one, right?

I also have small quantities of PCBs with the thermocouple components pre-soldered and tested available on Tindie for $44+shipping. I've gotten permission from the moderators to post a link to it here, thanks Chris!

The price would be worth it as probe costs are nearing $100 already as they burn out and or get wet. I know with the arduino you can run a 1 wire thermocoupler setup (single amp) to read as many as you want but I do not know if that functionality is available for the Pi. https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-1-wire-thermocouple-amplifier-max31850k/overview

*Edit*
2 thermocouplers would be perfect for a left and right side of PIT. My R Pi just arrived in today. :)

Last edited:
This question may have been asked but I didn't see it. If I go with the Thermocouple setup, will all the probes be thermocouple or just one?

This question may have been asked but I didn't see it. If I go with the Thermocouple setup, will all the probes be thermocouple or just one?

The (optional) onboard thermocouple amp in the HMv4.2.4 is for the pit probe only, the rest of the probes are still standard thermistor probes. If you wanted more thermocouples, however, you could build your own amp circuits for as many of the other probes you want...

The (optional) onboard thermocouple amp in the HMv4.2.4 is for the pit probe only, the rest of the probes are still standard thermistor probes. If you wanted more thermocouples, however, you could build your own amp circuits for as many of the other probes you want...

That is what I was thinking. I would need to learn a lot more before I can design and build more complex stuff. I'm pretty good at following instructions and building.

Back