HeaterMeter Hardware v4.2.4

Hello all, I'm very impressed with the amount of R&D that has gone into this design! After reading through the entire thread, I've decided to pull the trigger on building one. I was successful in sourcing all the parts needed including the elusive 4-way button. Mouser did not have stock on C5, C6 so I ended up using these in my order: 647-UHD1A101MDD Can someone confirm if these will be a suitable replacement for the Caps spec'd in the parts list?

I just ordered parts from Mouser to build 3 units today. I noticed those were out of stock also but they were expected back in stock tomorrow or Tuesday so I'm taking a gamble. They are standard parts so I'd expect them to never be on backorder for an extended period of time.

I've been wanting to connect the HeaterMeter to a battery but haven't seen real-world current draw numbers.
So I took some measurements and thought I'd share what I found. I have high confidence in the numbers.
It might help someone with power consumption questions...

HeaterMeter Current Draw

HeaterMeter V4.2.4
Raspi Model B
w/TC Pit Probe connected
Edimax Wifi USB dongle
MicroDamper w/Delta EFB0412VHD

HeaterMeter w/LCD Backlight @100%, 0% Output
@11.0V .28A
@12.0V .25A
@13.0V .23A

HeaterMeter w/LCD Backlight @100%, 100% Output*
@11.0V .38A
@12.0V .36A
@12.5V .35A
@13.0V .34A
* Note: Fan spins noticeably lower/higher on voltage variation

LCD Backlight - @100% .05A @12.0V
LCD Backlight - @10% .01A @12.0V
Edimax Wifi - .03A @12.0V

Add 10% for short duration peak current variation

YMMV

I've been wanting to connect the HeaterMeter to a battery but haven't seen real-world current draw numbers.

* Note: Fan spins noticeably lower/higher on voltage variation
There was a thread about running from a 12V battery and I posted current numbers all the way up to 20V I think. Good to see another set of numbers though.

If you have your blower set to "voltage" mode, then 100% is 12.1V output, so there is a difference between 11V, 12V, and 12.5V (which is actually 12.1V output), but anything above 12.1V is bucked down to 12.1V so you can use a car battery or charger at 13.7V or even 20V without fear of damaging the blower.

Back