HeaterMeter Hardware v4.2.4

According to the store site, it says Feb 19. You can still purchase all the parts ad-hoc, but I'd just wait till the store is back online to purchase a kit.

I don't recall a date mentioned for v4.3, so I wouldn't expect it to be any time soon. v4.2.4 is pretty rock solid.

Bryan recently PM'ed me about v4.3:

- v4.3 is coming out in a month or so
- v4.3 will not contain any new features but is a HM redesign to allow Raspberry Pi+ and Raspberry Pi2 boards to be used.
- v4.3 is dimensionally bigger and more expensive by a few dollars.
- If you have an existing Raspberry Pi1, then v4.2.4 would be cheaper and functionally equivalent.

I am totally new to the game here, but Im working with some kids at our new MakerSpace, www.dospace.org here in Omaha. Anyone got a quick source for two 4.2.4 boards with components soldered? We 3D printed all the cases, and got the RD3 going, but don't have time to delve into a full soldering course or budget for a legit production.

They are inspired (10-12 graders) to put up two Pits at the City BBQ Festival of a Man Vs. Machine type thing, showing off the touts of a MakerSpace and Teenagers who are interested in technology versus old school BBQ prowess. If they are interested and they are going to eat meat, who am I to deprive them? :) In the end...brisket and kids interested in tech is win-win.

Any help, super appreciated!

Bryan

Steve_M,

I am mostly budget limited due to its being not for profit and not allowed for me to fund personally. Luckily, we have BBQ angels around, WBegg hooked us up like a gentleman. Who would have thought 10 High School kids would be so into STEM AND BBQ. Not me. :)

Glad to see it worked out, though I'm still trying to figure out how this really shows the kids doing anything. You have a pre-built item that is pretty well tuned from the get-go. What is there for the kids to do other than place meat on the smoker and attach the heatermeter?

My STEM class reverse engineered the PID's and wrote a TON of pseudo code to run the HM during the smoke.. they worked on it for 4 hours in my backyard while the brisket finished and got it mostly right after a bunch of conversations and challenges/whiteboard sessions. then they devoured it in about 30 minutes... :)... for some reason they want to go at it again

My STEM class reverse engineered the PID's and wrote a TON of pseudo code to run the HM during the smoke.. they worked on it for 4 hours in my backyard while the brisket finished and got it mostly right after a bunch of conversations and challenges/whiteboard sessions. then they devoured it in about 30 minutes... :)... for some reason they want to go at it again
You should consider working with Bryan and having the kids design in improvements that are on his Parking Lot List.

Hi All. I hope this is the correct forum to ask this, but I'm looking to get a HM for my kamado and I got the impression from a few posts that HM 4.3 was not too far away. Is it actually pretty close to ready or should I just go with the 4.2.4? As a techie who likes new shiny objects, I don't mind waiting a little while, but if it's not on the horizon I'll just go with 4.2.4 which sounds good too. In any case this project is fantastic and I can't wait to get cooking with this device :)

I don't think the next version will be out before 2017. v4.2.4 has plenty of shiny features to keep you busy for a while!

I am assembling the 4.2.4 PCB and am confused about the assembly directions. I have identified the 1K and 4.7K resistors and the places on the PCB to solder them. However, the picture of the resistors installed on the PCB are different than the resistors shown on the resistor legend above that picture.

What gives?

Last edited:
Testing v4.3 while cooking some ribs and alt-tabbed back to this. OH FUDGE WHAT HAPPENED...
5q5YFqV.png

Oh turns out the scale is just really tight. The giant spike is when I realized I had set the thermocouple to 5.3 mV/C during testing something else and switched it back to 5. Everything else? Within 0.9 degrees! PID constants just guessed at (10, 0.01, 5) because I couldn't remember the defaults. Using a microdamper with the actual blower from its BOM.

EDIT: And I promise the v4.3 build photos will use the right color components so we won't have to answer that question any more.

Hello all, I'm very impressed with the amount of R&D that has gone into this design! After reading through the entire thread, I've decided to pull the trigger on building one. I was successful in sourcing all the parts needed including the elusive 4-way button. Mouser did not have stock on C5, C6 so I ended up using these in my order: 647-UHD1A101MDD Can someone confirm if these will be a suitable replacement for the Caps spec'd in the parts list?

Welcome to the community! I believe those will be fine, I'd wait to hear from a true electronics expert like Steve_M or Bryan Mayland though.

I'm far from being an electronics expert, but yes, that 647-UHD1A101MDD cap will work fine as a replacement for C5 and C6.

Back