HeaterMeter Hardware v4.2.4

Does the wireless receiver board still come with it? I like monitoring the outside temp with my La Crosse.
The RF part is no longer integrated into the PCB, it just didn't fit and took a lot of board space for something that not a lot of people used. The RFaddon board is all you need (or you can just solder 8 wires to 8 of the pins of the RF module). The board and schematic you can just upload to OSH Park:
https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMeter/tree/master/eagle

Or the same thing at OSH Park:
https://www.oshpark.com/shared_projects/a7uKMw8y

As you can see it is just the module and pins of header. I used 8 pins left over from the LCD connector. Mouser does not carry the module, you can get them from Modern Device where they are apparently out of stock. I've bought from this Texas eBay seller (anarduino) before too. Die or Chip package doesn't matter.

I am new to the thread, and totally up for one of the new boards with the SMD work done. I have enough hobbies and tools to buy without learning SMD, too!

I can't believe I missed this post. Congratulations, Bryan!! Thanks for all of your continued hard work. I swear I don't know how you manage to get it all done coding, debugging, designing, updating threads, updating the wiki, posting replies to everyone. It's a massive amount of work.

EDIT: Thanks to the beta testers and 3d modelers, too.

Bryan this is awesome! Thanks for all your hard work in developing this and making this DIY project possible. If you ever do a kickstarter someday I'm there.

Has anybody made a list of what parts/quantities from the shopping list are different than the previous version? Figuring on screwing up or just building more than one of these I went ahead and bought two sets of parts from mouser when I built my first heater meter a few months ago. Owing to the great directions Bryan maintains I got this to work on my first try... so I probably have most of what I need sans pcb.

Has anybody made a list of what parts/quantities from the shopping list are different than the previous version?

In reality the parts list for the HM isn't THAT long... My suggestion would be for you to go to the HMv4.2.4 hardware page, load the Mouser Cart, then go down the list (at Mouser) part by part and delete the items you already have in stock then order what is left...
I know the MOSFET that drives the blower has changed since HMv4.0, but should be the same as found on the HMv4.1+. There are a bunch more 0.1uf caps and 100K resistors on the new board due to the RC filters on the inputs, and the NPN transistors have been changed to a MOSFET transistor that wasn't used on previous versions. If you got a spare ATMega you are in luck, cause they are out of stock at Mouser currently, that part hasn't changed, nor has the shift register IC, DC-DC power regulator etc. The majority of stuff is the same but there will also be a host of things you need to order. Don't forget to order the Thermocouple Parts cart as well if you want to try out the thermocouple pit probe...

Ralph, Bryan,

Which thermocouple have you guys been using, I saw it will support any thermocouple but what is a good cheap source.

Ralph, Bryan,

Which thermocouple have you guys been using, I saw it will support any thermocouple but what is a good cheap source.

Any K type. I have been using Auber Thermos. I wouldn't go by price alone, as you can get anything in-between $3-$100+. Look for one that will work with your smoker/BBQ and if you need high heat. I like to be able to clip mine to the grate so I got a couple thermos with clips to try and so far I really like

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_3&products_id=327

I also have this one but have not tried it yet

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_3&products_id=172

Ralph, I believe uses Thermoworks High heat thermos rated to about 2,000 degrees

Last edited:
I have the Auber washer thermocouple installed in my big green egg by sliding it onto the dial thermometer stem. Then I used some silicone to hold it in the gap around the lid so it is semi-permanently installed. I posted some photos but I can not find them anywhere.

The cheap ones work from Amazon too, like $5 a pop shipped. Really it comes down to how you want to mount it and if you're going to have the wires exposed to heat, make sure they're rated for the temperature.

Bryan, sounds great. Count me in for one of these too please. It's about time I went ahead and built a heatermeter after reading about them for so long!

I am new to this build. Will the 3d printed case fit the RaspberryPi ◦Model B (w/ Ethernet port) the same as the Model A (w/o Ethernet?) They're roughly the same price on Amazon. Do most go with Model B or Model A?

There are two different cases, one for the Model A and one for the Model B. The B fits both but there will be a big hole where the the ethernet jack and extra USB port are. A Model A case will not hold a Model B.

From what I've seen, almost everyone goes with the B. I think it is because it is more readily available. I personally prefer the A because it's "just the right size" for operating a HeaterMeter, but with the price of the A and B being almost the same it's worth it to just get the B. We don't use more than 22MB RAM at idle, 50MB with a dozen people connected so the RAM differences are moot.

Back