HeaterMeter Hardware v4.2.4

Which ThermoWorks Pro thermistor probe and thermocouple models do you use. I am confused on which one to get. Also, do you have to buy from their website or does anyone else sell them at a lower price? Thank you!

They are the chief alarm probes, and they are 15 bucks each from thermoworks, I have not checked any where else for them. They are pretty good, once my mavericks bite the dust, I'm will be only using them. I might make a thermocouple board like Ralph has done, so that I can run a thermocouple if needed, as the cords are not six feet like the mavericks.
http://www.thermoworks.com/products/alarm/chefalarm.html#AccessoriesTab

to install software to rpi, it says to use rPi USB power input , the only mini usb I have is from my cell phone and it fits, is it ok to use that for first boot to load? just waiting for my board to arrive.

A cell phone charger is common to use to power the Pi but it should be at least 1 amp to power it error free. If the power is low the Pi can act very strange.

Yeah you can use any 5V 1A (or more) USB charger. Depending on the quality of the charger and if it actually puts out 5V at 1A of course. If it doesn't it will just be unstable and reboot or lock up for no apparent reason.

Your replacement looks fine to me as well. Cheaper too! I'm going to be placing a giant order (over $700, gasp!) from Mouser this weekend so I will definitely get some to test.

I ordered from Mouser too (on 8/4). Despite showing everything in stock they back ordered one of the LEDs until 8/20. I am not in a rush my 4.0 is working fine. My goal is not to get dinged with extra freight on separate orders. I am still waffling on what to do about probes. One of my brand new Maverick 6' probes bit the dust so am back to using my old 3' maverick.

Last edited:
^ Check the other thread below, the thermoworks probes are half off today :) perfect time to de-maverick

The LED, if you have an electronics store nearby, that should be something easy to find in person.

If they're holding your order for the LED, you can email them and ask to switch it to a comparable part such as this almost identical version. I bought that last time and it is visually indistinguishable from the original recommended part.

Kingbright makes WP710A10SRD/E, WP710A10SRD/D, and WP710A10SRD/F with 450mcd, 425mcd, and 460mcd @20mA respectively. It makes me wonder why they have 3 parts for an almost identical part. I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference between those luminous intensities.

Yes, this is a Type K device, and the connector on the HM is a "mini" Type K connector which does mate properly with this probe. That entire page are all Type K probes of different vairietys, more specifically, of the High Temp Type K variety..... If you look at the top of the page there are icons you can click to view the page(s) of general purpose, high temp, surface, wire etc probes, if there is a K on the icon they will all be type K probes and they should all work with the HM (as long as they have a mini type k connector)

Last edited:
Just bought a thermocouple board. Now I need to to figure out which parts I can use from my second 4.0 that I never built and what's left to buy.

Last edited:
I have the Auber washer thermocouple installed in my big green egg by sliding it onto the dial thermometer stem. Then I used some silicone to hold it in the gap around the lid so it is semi-permanently installed. I posted some photos but I can not find them anywhere.

The cheap ones work from Amazon too, like $5 a pop shipped. Really it comes down to how you want to mount it and if you're going to have the wires exposed to heat, make sure they're rated for the temperature.
Bryan, can you post pics of how you installed it in your egg? Was it ever concluded if it's better to install it on grate height or dial height?

Yes, this is a Type K device, and the connector on the HM is a "mini" Type K connector which does mate properly with this probe. That entire page are all Type K probes of different vairietys, more specifically, of the High Temp Type K variety..... If you look at the top of the page there are icons you can click to view the page(s) of general purpose, high temp, surface, wire etc probes, if there is a K on the icon they will all be type K probes and they should all work with the HM (as long as they have a mini type k connector)

Ralph, I know you have been using yours for Pizza cooks with the type K. What temp are you running it at these days and how does the rotodamper hold up under those conditions?

Thanks, Ralph & Brian.

I am putting together my Mouser order but now the LED display 763-0216K1Z-FSA-GBW is backordered too... for 3 weeks! Sheesh.
Yeah they don't stock a whole lot of any one color, and there are a lot of HeaterMeters being built right now so we exhausted the "Amber" color. Just pick another color from the HeaterMeter LCD color gallery or if you're really adventurous NewHaven 2x16 LCD (80x36). Just search for the part number on Mouser because they stock most of them.

Last edited:
Bryan, can you post pics of how you installed it in your egg? Was it ever concluded if it's better to install it on grate height or dial height?
I did take some pictures but I can't seem to find them so I'll take a few more this weekend.

As far as grate height vs dial height, it doesn't matter. I've done a couple dozen comparisons both bare and with pork using thermocouples for both and sometimes the grate is higher temp, sometimes the dial is higher temp, sometimes one is higher then several hours in they'll swap. I can say that sticking it through the top vent definitely is not good because there's a large variation in temp depending on how far you insert it or what angle it is at (the exit area is cooler). For me having the probe and wire always out of the way is a huge win when overstuffing the grill area or manipulating food on it.

Back