Heat Output/Searing: Early 90's Genesis vs newer models

CEarnest

Hey all,

new member here. I'm gonna post some of my Webers soon and show off my cooks too. In the meantime, who was an older "Redhead" Genesis and a newer (say late 2000s to current years) Genesis and do the old ones not have as much power?

I did a resto on my Redhead and the first cook was just OK. Didn't get hot enough to get a great sear on the steaks, but was decent.

Any thoughts? I have a new set of burners laying around.

Technically, the total rated BTUs on a 3-burner Genesis 1000-5000 = 35,000 (so 11,667 BTUs per burner)

whereas the Genesis Silver/Gold was 36,000 (12,000 BTUs per burner)

Spirit 700/900 -> 33,000 (11,000 BTUs per burner)

I did find that the my Genesis 1000 did take slightly longer to cook my steaks to medium well compared to my Genesis Silver/Gold grills, but you also have to factor in the 2 rows of flavorizer bars opposed to just 1.

Can your redhead hit 550 degrees without any food in it?

It could be that you are experiencing the regulator problem where it is slowing the flow of gas due to a perceived leak. Also, your older grill could need a good cleaning of the burner tubes or a general cleaning overall. I have a 1993 Genesis 1000 and it heats up just fine, but I don't have an newer 1000 to compare it to that is in working condition right now.

"I did find that the my Genesis 1000 did take slightly longer to cook my steaks to medium well compared to my Genesis Silver/Gold grills, but you also have to factor in the 2 rows of flavorizer bars opposed to just 1."

Yup, I second that. I've noticed that my Platinum C heats up quicker than my 3000 and my guess is it's because of the second row of flavorizer bars. That's why I've been using the Platinum C for daily grilling duties and the 3000 more for rotisseries. However, they both cook extremely well.

I haven't noticed any problems on my 2000 with temps. I just heat it up for a good 10 to 15 minutes first, scrape the ashified crap off the grates, and I can sear anything.

I haven't noticed any problems on my 2000 with temps. I just heat it up for a good 10 to 15 minutes first, scrape the ashified crap off the grates, and I can sear anything.

I do the same TH you need to get that thing up to 550 for 15 minutes or do not waste your time for sear marks. I have no doubt that what Sam said is true on the 5 bar gonna heat faster. Buying a few sections of grillgrates the next time they have a sale probably Labor Day with the 1000 they should compensate. Love the 1000 but its not like its a flame thrower.

You can always take the 8 extra bars out and cook that way. It will heat up faster but you will probably loose a little of the even heat distribution. Any time I am adding smoke or using the rotisserie, I pull the extra 8 bars. Seems like that is happening a lot lately. I tend to throw my regular cooks like steaks on the Q200 more often.

I always leave all bars in, even when rotisserie-ing. I'm now a spoiled natural gas guy, so I never worry about running out of propane, and just let the grill heat up nice and hot each time. My lid thermometer is always pinned after heating it up, but I don't have a fancy laser beam device to truly test the temperature. I do have a Meater, which I could write pages of praise for, but I'm not using that in that hot of a grill!

My Genesis Silver C, eventually to be replaced by a Platinum project in my inventory, can sear with the best using GrillGrates, but it also does fine with cast iron or stainless bars. I am waiting to finish my woodwork on my 13 bar Skyline before grilling on it (I want to get some good pictures for posterity), so I will hopefully soon see what difference another row of bars actually makes.

Last edited:
I picked up a Silver A, Sliver B, and a 1000 last weekend for a song.
Once home, I took emptied all 3 down to burners only and fired up
to test. I was amazed at how quickly all 3 heated up to 550.

Dave,
Now do the same test with the Flavorizer Bars installed.

When I purchase a used grill I do the same thing and they heat up super quick with no bars of grates installed to absorb some of the heat.

Jeff

Without grates and flavorizer bars, these grills will soar to 600 degrees in no time. I did a test burn on my latest E320 and it went to 700 in 5 or 6 minutes without grates or flavorizer bars in.

I've kind of wondered about that. I've only ever had the Genesis 1000 that I've restored. It's got the heavy guage RCPlanebuyer grates and bars. It probably takes about 10 to 15 mintues to heat up. I always preheat. The thing I wonder about is with that dual layers of bars am I getting the grill flavor that I would get from a Silver B or a grill with the flame closer to the food? Given the time I typically use charcoal. The flavor between my kettle and the Genesis isn't even remotely close. The main component of that "grill flavor" is supposedly the juices burning up, but I just don't detect that, the way I feel I should. The sear with the heavy bars and preheating is fine.

Last edited:
Having both a Genesis 2000 and Silver B in the fleet I can tell you yes the silver does heat up slightly faster and is a little bit hotter at grate level. Due to 2 reasons. First the burners are WAY closer to the grates than on the B than on the 2000. Second (though on my 2000 I have custom made single bars) 2 rows of bars. So there is more mass to heat up on 2000 than on a B type and of course less fire box too. My 2000 is closer to the B now thanks to the custom flavo bars though. But there still is the matter of the burners being further away and more fire box mass to heat up

I'm not sure how hot it gets right now. I've only used it once so far. I may take out the top row of flavorizer bars to see how it does.

I have cleaned it pretty well, but was thinking about replacing the burners anyways as I have an extra set laying around (and and an extra manifold).

I just used someone else's gas grill last fall and there's definitely had more power and I had fun bc I was searing skirt steak with it.

If the burners are clogged at all, that will take away some of the grill HP, but a quick cleaning should solve that. As long as the burners are in otherwise good shape, there is no need to replace them.

Back