Have you started your garden?

MikeS in Alaska

TVWBB Fan
Didn't do much last year, we were cleaning up issues from the 7.1 shaker Nov-18. Spring seems to be running a bit late this year. There is still a good 6 inch snow cover. We are putting in two new raised beds and possibly a tomato shanty for this season.
But the tomatoes, peppers, cruciferous, and romaine seeds are in the dirt. Other seeds ready for direct planting in May.

seedling.jpg

That sounds like it will be a bountiful harvest, Mike! I've got three half wine barrels getting dropped off early next week, and am planning some herbs, peppers (sweet and hot), and maybe a tomato plant or two (hard to get enough root space for tomatoes.) I don't have much of a green thumb, but I really want the fresh herbs, and figured a few other items would be nice, too.

R

Peppers tomatoes cucumber and squash. Hopefully. I'm not expecting anything from the peppers. Never had much luck and I think I put them in a little too soon.

I'm growin buckets this year ................. got a good crop started ................... tomatoes been in the ground a couple of weeks but got a late freeze coming tonight and possibly next two nights. Front hitting about right now with 50 mph gusts, so I got my plants covered

xYWFsbm.jpg

We put in the 1st row of sweet peas 3 weeks ago, maybe 1/4 of them came up. Put in the 2nd row last week. How come seeds have such lousy germination rates, seems it's like this every year.

We put in the 1st row of sweet peas 3 weeks ago, maybe 1/4 of them came up. Put in the 2nd row last week. How come seeds have such lousy germination rates, seems it's like this every year.

I've started buying fresh tomato seed every year. In the past , I would try to be cheap and hold over unused seed. But the germination rate was so low and it might take them 2 to 3 weeks to germinate, that I said to heck with it, I just plant the whole packet and give away plants to people in the neighborhood.

I get my seed from Johnny's Select Seed in New York, and I've had good luck with them, as long as they're fresh.

I grow Big Beef tomatos and onions every year. I always over produce tomatoes and give a lot away. It makes Mrs Dollar very popular in her office when she takes buckets of home grown to work to hand out. But tomatoes here can be feast or famine. It depends upon how hot the weather is in June. So its best to over produce.

Get my onions from south Texas, Dixondale Farms. I grow Texas Super Sweet 1015Y, Candi, and Red Candi.

Been thinking about expanding. Building one or two raised beds. I'd like to grow everything I need for pico de gallo without reducing the number of tomato plants. Which means I'd have to add jalapeno, cilantro, and garlic.

We usually wait 1-2 weeks after Mothers day to put anything in the ground. When I remodeled our house I added boxout windows so we have space to start seedlings.
I'm retired now so looking forward to spending more time in the garden.

Tim

We used to have a garden for years but that was until the house next door to us had a septic tank failure and I noticed effluent getting all the way to our yard. I tilled it under and grew the lawn. Never grew one again. Too much work especially living here where I can get to so many farm markets. Just not worth the trouble

Nothing planted yet, but we deemed it essential to go to Lowe's and get tomato, basil, sage and rosemary for the planter bed.

Well, I haven't gardened since I was a kid (and that was more doing chores for my mom.....), but decided I would get my long awaited herb garden going (ya know, since I have some time at home.....) Anyway, I got four half wine barrels, and planted them up with a mix of herbs, peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers. I have half a clue what I'm doing, and a couple of close friends who got degrees in landscape architecture, so we'll see how this goes! :)

Peppers (jalapeno, anaheim, poblano), basil, oregano, parsley (italian):

IMG_6477.jpeg

Tomatoes (early girl), cucumber (bravo) and thyme (lemon):

IMG_6478.jpeg

My Texas Super Sweet 1015Y onions are starting to bulb. This is a " short day " onion, and I'm at the northern most part of the range where they will grow. Variety was developed by Texas A&M and I think its the state onion of Texas .

IMG_20200507_173314.jpgIMG_20200507_173257.jpg

At the other end of my onion bed, the Red Candi's are looking better than I've ever grown. I've figured out they need a lot of water

And my tomatoes are coming on good, I had a few get bit back by a late freeze a couple weeks ago

IMG_20200507_173328.jpg

Last edited:
Planted first week in April and we had a late frost two weeks later that stunted some of my stuff. Now they're saying we might have another frost this weekend. Mid-May frost??

Several different types of tomatoes and peppers. Squash, zucchini, okra and cucumbers. Rosemary, sweet basil, thyme, and dill in the herb garden.

Apparently there's a chance that we could have a hard freeze this weekend, so maybe it's a good thing we haven't planted our pot garden yet. Which doesn't mean what you think it does, it means we grow things in pots because the black walnut trees in the yard make a regular garden a difficult proposition.

Now where's that Cheech & Chong seed catalog... ;)

Last edited:

Back