Have you started your garden?

Speaking of gardens, what do you use for pesticides ( if any) ?
My leaves are pretty chewed up on a few plants, I'm thinking Neem oil as a spray.

Tim

Speaking of gardens, what do you use for pesticides ( if any) ?
My leaves are pretty chewed up on a few plants, I'm thinking Neem oil as a spray.

Tim

I don't spray anything, but if I did, neem oil would be at the top of the list.

The biggest tomato pest I have, are diff varieties of worms. And birds are my best friend when it comes to eliminating worms. I keep water out do what I can to attract birds.

Ok thanks. It's weird tho, the only plant leaves I notice affected are the bell pepper and hot pepper plants.
Everything else looks fine. Tomatoes, squash, green beans.

Tim

Hey, Steve. I started with THIS RECIPE, and have since increased the amount of dill (I like a lot of dill flavor in my dill pickles), vinegar (I use 2.25 cups vinegar to 4 cups water), and garlic. I also make sure the brine is cool before pouring over the cucumbers, as this contributes to a crispier pickle. You can reuse the brine for at least two batches.

Cheers,
Rich
Oh I'm so on this, just got some pickles out the garden.

Tim

My small patch of sweet corn looks like crap and our 3 potted tomato plants look like twigs. It's a good thing we don't have to live on what we grow, but it'd be an awesome weight loss plan if we did. ;)

Rich, did you grill any of those salsa ingredients or just use them raw?

Bumping an old thread here, but my blueberry bush seems stagnant this year. Is that normal? Didn't get much berries this year either.

I purchased a different variety to plant next to the old bush this week.

The deep freeze we had back in February, set back a lot of my periennials, like nandina shrubbery, monkey grass, and crepe myrtles. I don't know if you got any of that weather ?

I've had an unusual year in the garden. Due to aforementioned deep freeze, my onions did not go into the ground until first week of March, usually plant mid-Feb. Just now putting onions into storage, full month behind.

And I lost all 10 of my Big Beef tomato plants that I had grown from seed on April 21. We had a predicted late freeze. It was cold, cloudy and about 2 pm in the afternoon I covered my plants with 5 gallon buckets. About 4 pm, the sun came out. I should've taken the buckets off but did not think about it and the plants roasted from the sun hitting the buckets. I would've easily survived the freeze.

So the next day, I went to a local nursery and bought 10 new plants. They were varieties I'd not grown before, Beefmaster, Better Boy, and Arkansas Traveler. And these Beefmaster plants put on huge tomatoes. They're cat facing a lot , but still mostly edible and good eatin. May be the largest tomato I've ever grown

20210712_092749.jpg20210712_132515.jpg

Man, those are big.

No, we never got the frigid temps the center section of the country got. Not sure why my bush isn't growing this year. Course, I haven't seen the cat napping under it either. Maybe that's the problem. :sneaky:

I know blueberry bushes require acid soil, and when I planted the bush, I dug a large hole and filled it with a mixture of peat moss, compost, red dirt, sand, and topsoil. My garden bed has this soil recipe too (minus the peat moss), and I had to add lime (raises the pH) to counter blossom end rot on my tomatoes, but I did not lime the blueberry bush, so that soil should be more acidic.

I've had an unusual year in the garden. Due to aforementioned deep freeze, my onions did not go into the ground until first week of March, usually plant mid-Feb. Just now putting onions into storage, full month behind.

And I lost all 10 of my Big Beef tomato plants that I had grown from seed on April 21. We had a predicted late freeze. It was cold, cloudy and about 2 pm in the afternoon I covered my plants with 5 gallon buckets. About 4 pm, the sun came out. I should've taken the buckets off but did not think about it and the plants roasted from the sun hitting the buckets. I would've easily survived the freeze.

So the next day, I went to a local nursery and bought 10 new plants. They were varieties I'd not grown before, Beefmaster, Better Boy, and Arkansas Traveler. And these Beefmaster plants put on huge tomatoes. They're cat facing a lot , but still mostly edible and good eatin. May be the largest tomato I've ever grown

View attachment 32620View attachment 32621
Those are wallet-size tomatoes! :cool:

It's like hide and seek lately. Every time time I go out to the garden I find something hiding from me.
I got to get it before the tree rats. ( squirrels)

Back