Grill Restorers: Get this Knipex tool!

Thanks for the share, Jon. I just headed over to Amazon and ordered a pair. You can never go wrong with Knipex. FWIW - Knipex refers to any of their push button style models as ”cobra” pliers. They also make traditional slip joint pliers under the “gator” designation but the cobras are the superstar of the brand when it comes to adjustable pliers. I’ve had their 7”, 10”, & 12” cobras shown below for years now along with their side cutting diagonal pliers, linesman pliers, and ratcheting cable cutters. All of them are of unsurpassed quality and functionality. Knipex might be pricier than other brands in general but they are worth the investment. Pic for reference to plier style and cobra nomenclature only. Shop around for best pricing.
IMG_0361.jpeg

Last edited:
Tom,
I am just an accountant learning late in life to do a few things with tools. In my limited collection, the very few Knipex ones that I have sprung for clearly stand out.

Since it is only a very part time hobby for me, I have contented myself with more Harbor Freight stuff. I have found some uneven results to be sure, but some of the Doyle and the couple Icon brand tools I have bought there aren’t too bad - at least for a CPA tool user wannabe.

IMG_6197.jpeg
IMG_6198.jpeg

Colin,
I think you will be pleased. That particular tool can sometimes save you from using a cut-off wheel. All there stuff reflects high quality manufacturing.

The ones we posted most recently have smooth contacts. They have a similar adjustable button slide as the Cobra pliers but can be used on finished metal. They also exert considerable pressure when needed due to the leverage design of the moving part.

I sprung for one Jon. As I get older, I have started to purchase some higher quality tools rather than always opting for the HF line of tools. Even with the much higher price paid, I find that I am usually very happy after I use them a few times. I think there is still a place for Harbor Freight tools, but not exclusively.

One thing I have noticed however is a very steady increase in the quality of HF tools, and with many of them not saying Made in China anymore. Now I am seeing other countries stamped on there i.e. India, Taiwan, etc. Also some former Eastern Block European countries as well.
Also (sadly I might ad) many tools folks buy THINKING they're bypassing Made in China are still made there. DeWalt, Stanley, Kobalt, Craftsmen, Makita, Skill, Bosch, and so many more iconic brands that I cannot even begin to list them.
As in Star Trek "resistance is futile" :D
But, I get it. I'd like to bypass them as much as the next guy. I just don't know a solid way to do so.
In any case Kinpex are fine tools.

Larry, I agree, HF is now carrying some higher quality tools. But they charge more for the Bauer and Hercules and Icon brands as well. I am not trying to bash them, I think it is great they are not only offering more than just the ultra cheap disposable tools. But, they do charge more for the upgrade.

Larry, I agree, HF is now carrying some higher quality tools. But they charge more for the Bauer and Hercules and Icon brands as well. I am not trying to bash them, I think it is great they are not only offering more than just the ultra cheap disposable tools. But, they do charge more for the upgrade.
Oh fully aware. And still no less, other than the el cheapo angle grinder it's the only power tool I buy there (oops I bought a miter saw cheap one when we were doing the deck). It really only had to last for one job and it has. I have used it 3X in the last 6 years LOL.
Otherwise even though they're not made in US I still buy Bosch, DeWalt, for my battery tools. Simply because a better company behind them. No Makita tools in my possession though

Back