Grill Brush Bristle Danger Reminder

I don't obsess about super cleaning mine, just knock off the big pieces.

I don't either but bought the Billy Bar. I like it!

I have had this cultivator thing for a few days now and it has not cleaned my grate yet....how long does it wait before it gets off the shelf and cleans the thing?:D

has anyone used the billy bar on the weber cast iron cooking grates? They're not a skinny cylinder like your typical stainless steel grates. Anyone recommend a good grate cleaner tool for the Weber Genesis E310?

has anyone used the billy bar on the weber cast iron cooking grates? They're not a skinny cylinder like your typical stainless steel grates. Anyone recommend a good grate cleaner tool for the Weber Genesis E310?

5336517.jpg

You can slap me for resurrecting this thread but I'm here to proclaim that I started with the Cave Tools BBQ Grill Brush over 2 years ago (https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01AKQ98MO/tvwb-20), then purchased a second one six months later in an effort to adopt safe practices in terms of replacing the brush so as to eliminate premature failure. In my opinion, it worked beautifully in my effort to clean a variety of grates. I rolled my eyes when others shared cautionary statements against the use of wire brushes. But when I placed the second unit into service I observed that it shed like a cat very early-on. Through that experience, I explored other options and purchased units such as the Martin Grill Gadget, a couple of Easybrsh's offerings, A wooden paddle, and something else whose name escapes me. And in October 2017 I purchased the Char-Broil nylon bristle brush whose link I saw from Bob Correll's post. I reluctantly purchased it and reluctantly used it (and reverted to the wire brush) but I continued to make attempts with it over a period of time and at present--for the past four months--it is my exclusive go-to and I have come to embrace it when cleaning a variety of grates including those from my 2016 Genesis E330, my WSM's, the Gabby's Grill Santa Maria attachment, a GrillSmith with CI grates from Wal*Mart, and grates on a variety of add-ons from my Camp Chef stove. I am not proclaiming it to be the best but if you are in search of a wire bristle alternative I would suggest you consider this nylon brush. I'm not implying that a unit such as Martin's Gadget does not work but I, personally, have no interest in cleaning one bar at a time; I prefer a more global solution. https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00IJ3C28I/tvwb-20

Last edited:
I've tried a bunch of them. The one bar at a time approach is for the birds. It's drives me crazy. The nylon brush thing is pretty good. I'm about to try the wooden scraper thing. The ones with the metallic scrubber work pretty well. I don't think you have the same danger you have with the stiff wire bristles. Just like you I was a skeptic and I had an almost brand new weber brush that started shedding like crazy and I was done. The problem I have is that really NOTHING works as well as a wire brush I don't care what anyone says. You basically just have to live with your grates being not quite as clean.

I don’t mind the Billy Bar, it is a little more time consuming but, it does an excellent job! If I’m in a rush, I’ll use the Billy for the bigger chunks and follow with a steel brush scrape, but, I’m thinking I will go back to the welders wire brush, they are more coarse and aggressive, I’ve tried a lot of brushes and I don’t really like any of them. TonyUK got me started with the Billy Bar and it does not take that long to get the scuzz off.
I’ve been at it pretty hard all spring/summer it might be time to put my grill grate dishpan into the all important soaking stage for a deep cleaning of the GBS.

I’ve been rocking this for a while now. Its grooves are broken in now and I preheat it before cleaning. The only thing I don’t love about it is that it doesn’t ride as smoothly over the grate as does a wire brush. It’ll catch on the hinges, for example. The other thing is, if your grates are even slightly different widths on different grills, you’ll need more than one.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0728C5VQN/tvwb-20

I have a non-metallic Weber brush that looks like this...

52ddadbf-21f0-4041-a43e-e808bdfa5cd1_1.6eb1a6f71a34a7c0e299af6422c9106d.jpeg

The only downside is that you have to use it on a cool grill.

Maybe the best way to clean a dirty grill is by using a high pressure steam spray washer.

I’ve been rocking this for a while now.

Your link won't load on my browser but I'm going to assume you are referring to a wood paddle. Thought about it but not enough to buy one, in part for the two downsides you mention.

I have a non-metallic Weber brush that looks like this...

I speak out of ignorance when I say I am not interested in its "debris" hanging around on my grates and firebox but I have thought that it would probably do a nice job of removing soil from grates.

I am in Dustin's camp when he says that nothing works as well as a wire brush but that is out of the question for me these days.

I might just start setting up my water heater basin when I light the fire and drop the grate in when I’m done cooking!
I’ll Billy bar for a while though, making space for the basin will require some thought and today...it’s just too hot!

Link won’t load here either.

Back