Grill Brush Bristle Danger Reminder

Bob- I'm glad that you started this thread. I had purchased a couple of Weber brushes like the one in ChuckO's picture after reading an article about people swallowing broken bristles. I thought that they would be safer to use until I found broken bristles from the relatively new brushes in the sink when I washed the grates. It was very concerning and I threw all of the brushes away. I now have a round brush like Bob's but haven't used it because I am concerned that it may also be prone to metal pieces breaking off. These brushes get roughed up quite a bit from the hard use they get. I primarily use a sponge with a scouring pad after scraping the grates. I had used brushes for years and will never do it again. I will be trying the crumpled foil and will check out the Billy Bar.

Last edited:
Whatever you use, wipe the grate down with a wad of oiled paper towel as your final step.
Pads and balls of foil can leave remnants or flakes.

Tim

Timothy beat me too it. I, too, use various grill brushes then wipe down carefully with a folded, oiled, paper towel held with tongs. It works a charm and helps to keep the chicken from sticking to the grates, also.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

P.S. I just sent in an order for a Billy Bar!:rolleyes:rdm

Last edited:
Here's a couple photos of my worn out brushes. I bought all three President's day weekend and as you can see, two are pretty much done (I haven't started using the 3rd yet) They wear out fast, but I have yet to find bristles in the bottom of my BBQ's and I give them a good once over after every cook

11676736-DC4D-44BE-A072-DB13C6967BA1_zpsab09vhqu.jpg

09056124-CDB6-47AE-AB99-CB26B1D10C33_zpsvjwxidbf.jpg

Well, my maybe 1 or 2 month old weber brush started shedding bristles and those things are pretty thick so I threw that away and I ordered a billy bar which is on it's way. I need some kind of solution for the expanded metal grate on my offset though. I haven't figured that out yet. Maybe I'll use the scouring pad things.

I'm thinking about trying the Char-Broil Cool Clean 360 brush.
Saw one at WM, the bristles are nylon and darn stiff.
I usually clean when the grates are cool anyhow.

0000000242707.jpg

They have a square one too with replaceable brushes.

10335167.jpg

Whatever you use, wipe the grate down with a wad of oiled paper towel as your final step.
Pads and balls of foil can leave remnants or flakes.

Tim

I do that as my final step too but with water instead of oil; but I'm going to switch to oil to prevent rust.

Late to the thread...I too like to wipe my grates down with oil or a quick spray of oil after I clean the grates. Best insurance for non sticking I have found yet. I had never heard of the "Billy Bar"until Chris showed us the link for Amazon. Wow! But I guess if someone is willing to pay that much, he's not the fool. I did a quick Google search for "V notch weed puller" and they are everywhere for as little as $9. Every big box hardware store, Walmart, and so on has them in stock for no more than $12. Looks like I may be going to Lowes this weekend!

The Billy bar is probably about 22 with shipping from their website. Someone is marking them up big time on amazon. I ordered that nylon 360 brush too. We'll see how it works.

The Billy bar is probably about 22 with shipping from their website. Someone is marking them up big time on amazon. I ordered that nylon 360 brush too. We'll see how it works.

I don't know why people are marking them up so high, when you can order direct from the OEM. :confused:

I just placed my order for a Billy Bar.:)

Couldn't wait for Santa eh Pat? :D

Billy Bar Website

About $22.00 with shipping. Just ordered one.

Looks like I've started a bit of a trend.

It may not be purpose built for cleaning grills, but this tool or similar can be found in the garden dept of any Home Depot/Lowes or Amazon easily, and very similar to the billy bar. Handle may be a little shorter than desired but similar result and cheap, probably $10 or less.

2ephhle.jpg
[/IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B009JXFUMW/tvwb-20

Or a little more Fancy

https://www.atgstores.com/garden-ha...-chrome-plated-dandelion-weeder_12538694.html

What garden tool would u guys recommend for those who would use it with the 'flat-top' cast iron grats on the weber Spirit gas grills?

I wonder if the restaurants wherein we dine agonize to this extreme over grate-cleaning care, lol. Something tells me I may have ingested a particle or two of metal (and lead, since I'm aged).

I wonder if the restaurants wherein we dine agonize to this extreme over grate-cleaning care, lol. Something tells me I may have ingested a particle or two of metal (and lead, since I'm aged).
From what I've seen on television, none of the good bbq joints clean their grates, looks like ever.
I don't obsess about super cleaning mine, just knock off the big pieces.

Back