Got a new wok!

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
My wonderful sister got me a carbon steel wok (Yosukata) for my birthday, and I finally got a chance to get a few coats of seasoning on it so I could put it to use! My wife asked if I would make a healthy stir fry tonight, so what better time?!?! :)

Ingredients:
2x chicken breasts, boneless/skinless, large dice
1x red bell pepper, large dice
3x zucchini, large dice
1x broccoli head, florets separated
1x white onion, "segment" cut
13x crimini mushrooms, quartered
2 cups bean sprouts
1 small can sliced water chestnuts
stir fry sauce (1 part soy, 2 parts chick stock, sugar/rice wine/garlic/ginger to taste, cornstarch to thicken)

Got the redhead kettle set up with one Weber chimney of Kingsford:

1653360351822.jpeg

Set the new wok on the fire to preheat for 10 minutes:

1653360369591.jpeg

Got all my ingredients ready since this is going to go fast!!!!

1653360390107.jpeg

When the wok was ready (about 720° in the middle, mid 500's on the sides), I got started. Chicken first, then removed. Broccoli and water chestnuts next, followed by onion, shrooms, pepper and zucchini. Last was bean sprouts, a bit of water, then cover for a short steam. Uncover, add chicken back in, add stir fry sauce, toss to coat and let thicken......

1653360485570.jpeg

My wife asked for a veggie heavy dish, and I think I delivered.... :) Delicious, and pretty healthy. Served over white rice.

Thanks, sis!

Rich

Way to go, Rich. That looks fantastic. Been too long since I did this...

How do you like the new wok? I'm about to get a new carbon-steel model.

You're learning to "Wok this way" "Post this way" "just cookin' outside" ow ow ow ow ow ....
-that's an Aerosmith reference for anyone who's wondering what kind of weirdo I am :geek: 🤣

Way to go, Rich. That looks fantastic. Been too long since I did this...

How do you like the new wok? I'm about to get a new carbon-steel model.
Tim, with the in depth knowledge/experience of one cook, I like it! :) It's lighter than my monster CI wok, and is smaller, too. The shape is different, too, with steeper sides than the CI. This shape seems to make it easier to toss ingredients around, though, truth be told, I wasn't going to toss the CI wok (weight, no handle), so that could just be untrue! :) I still need to get some more seasoning on it for sure. My initial chicken "dump" resulted in some good sticking, but it cleaned up like a breeze, so I must have done something decently with my initial few layers of seasoning.

I don't really have much to compare this brand to, but it feels very solid, looks well built, and I think it will last. I found this one recommended in the Serious Eats' recent wok cooking guide. My sis picked up Kenji Alt-Lopez's wok cookbook, too, so looking forward to exploring that.

HTH,
Rich

You're learning to "Wok this way" "Post this way" "just cookin' outside" ow ow ow ow ow ....
-that's an Aerosmith reference for anyone who's wondering what kind of weirdo I am :geek: 🤣
Several years back, my company hired Aerosmith to perform at our company sales conference. I was no more than 15' from Steven Tyler as he was belting out songs like he was still in his 20's. Favorite song of the night was an acapella number that Steven and one of the guitarists sang (can't remember what song, or which guitarist), and they were incredible.

Short story.......I got the reference. :)

R

Hi Rich, looks beautiful and HEALTHY!!!!!

Does the recipe have a title?

I have a separate binder just for wok recipes, if you ever need any. lol

Thanks, Rich. I also picked up Kenji's book. Good stuff.

The other one I use regularly is "Breath of a Wok" by Grace Young.

Your stir fry looks killer.

Thanks, Rich. I also picked up Kenji's book. Good stuff.

Your stir fry looks killer.
I've seen that book by Grace Young, too......I'll play around with the recipes in Kenji's book for now, and see if I want to explore some more.

This is about as Americanized of a stir fry as you can find, but we really like it. I plan to try to make some more traditional dishes (you know, that maybe only have one protein, and a couple veggies, max?!?) :)

R

Hi Rich, looks beautiful and HEALTHY!!!!!

Does the recipe have a title?

I have a separate binder just for wok recipes, if you ever need any. lol
Not really a recipe, Joan, so no title. But, hey, look on the bright side......you got the ingredients, so you can give it whatever title you want! :)

I also recommend Grace Young's book.
Both "breath of a wok" and "stir frying to thr sky's edge"
Coincidentally, Grace Young was on Good Morning America this am cooking up some fried rice (and I got the feeling that she wasn't a fan of whatever lame on-set burner they made her use! :)

R

I've seen that book by Grace Young, too......I'll play around with the recipes in Kenji's book for now, and see if I want to explore some more.

This is about as Americanized of a stir fry as you can find, but we really like it. I plan to try to make some more traditional dishes (you know, that maybe only have one protein, and a couple veggies, max?!?) :)

R

great YT channel and easy to make recipes.

or this website, too: https://thewoksoflife.com/

Not really a recipe, Joan, so no title. But, hey, look on the bright side......you got the ingredients, so you can give it whatever title you want! :)
OK

Rich G.'s Ingenious Wok Recipe

Ingredients:
2x chicken breasts, boneless/skinless, large dice
1x red bell pepper, large dice
3x zucchini, large dice
1x broccoli head, florets separated
1x white onion, "segment" cut
13x crimini mushrooms, quartered
2 cups bean sprouts
1 small can sliced water chestnuts
stir fry sauce (1 part soy, 2 parts chick stock, sugar/rice wine/garlic/ginger to taste, cornstarch to thicken)

Back