Getting long smokes out of the WSM 14.5"

P Jordan

I got a 14.5" WSM for Father's Day last year and have been using it almost everyweek since. I was just wonder how to get longer smokes one load of coal in the hopper? Between 2-4 hours I can go without refueling but for 6 or more hours I've got to practically clean out the coal chamber and reload with a fresh chimney of burning coal. I'd love to be able to achieve 10-12 hours or more with no problem. My Egg will take care of that (x2) but you can't beat WSM flavor. I've tried the minion method and that didn't work and I've done the side-light method with a torch, that gave me a good 6 hours but that's it.

Welcome to the family !
How many lit coals are you starting with ( "reload with a fresh chimney of burning coal" ) ?

Myself... I don't use water. It's a heat sink & will cause extra fuel consumption. Also, have raised the charcoal basket and moved the heat shield out of the lower chamber & placed under it. Start with a full ring of charcoal & MM of 8 briquettes. Obviously, the higher temps will deplete fuel faster than low temps. I've had good luck with Kingsford Lump for long cooks with the 14.5.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?61254-Kingsford-Lump-amp-the-14-5&highlight=Kingsford+lump+charcoal

If you search the WSM forums you can gain quite a bit of information regarding this great little cooker.

I go with a full load of charcoal. Minion Method, and as Robert said, start with around 6-8 partially lit coals. Once it closes in on target temp, immediately start throttling vents. It's important to catch it on the way up, especially on warmer days. Six hours is a pretty decent time out of a load of coals on the 14. I've never done anything on my 14 that ran more that six hours. 10 to 12 hours might be a stretch on the 14 without reloading at some point.

I use my 14.5" WSM all the time for Boston Butts (always do rwo butts of 8.0-9.0 lbs. each) or six half racks of ribs (using two rib racks).

In both cases I use NO water, fill the charcoal ring full with oringinal Kingsford and use the "tin can Minion Method" with 8 lit coals. I cook at 275 degrees and never had to add coals.

FWIW
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I have a mini which uses the Smokey Joe as a base. If I fill the base and use a tin can Minion with 6-8 lit coals and run around 250* or under I've gone 12+ hours on one cook and average about 10 1/2 -11 hours if no wind and warm. I use a clay pot base for a heat sink instead of water.
So with that I think with the fire ring you should be at least able to run 9-10 hours on a 14.5 WSM.

I use my 14.5" WSM all the time for Boston Butts (always do rwo butts of 8.0-9.0 lbs. each) or six half racks of ribs (using two rib racks).

In both cases I use NO water, fill the charcoal ring full with oringinal Kingsford and use the "tin can Minion Method" with 8 lit coals. I cook at 275 degrees and never had to add coals.

FWIW
Keep on smokin',

What's the tin can minion method?

What's the tin can minion method?

Put an empty coffee can on the the coal rack. Put your unlit briqs around it but not in it. Using your chimney, light 8-12 briqs. Once they are ashed over, dump them into your empty coffee can. Using tongs, remove the can and put your smoker together with the dampers wide open. Get it up to temp closing the bottom vents when you're getting toward your target temp.

Put an empty coffee can on the the coal rack. Put your unlit briqs around it but not in it. Using your chimney, light 8-12 briqs. Once they are ashed over, dump them into your empty coffee can. Using tongs, remove the can and put your smoker together with the dampers wide open. Get it up to temp closing the bottom vents when you're getting toward your target temp.
empty coffee can with both top and bottom removed.
should seem obvious I know. :)

That doesn't work if you use Stumps charcoal. It just burns straight down & doesn't spread out. Ask me how I know. :p

That sounds killer! Gives you a nice long burn I take it? What's the best way to refuel if you're doing a big butt or brisket? I've tossed more unlits in towards the end of the first run of coals before and have had my temps drop to like 150 and never come back up. I've also added more lit coals before from the chimney and had those go out because of the ashes slowing the draft.

wind could be a big factor too, lately i've been having to battle decent wind here and its definitely caused consumption to go up in order to keep temps up just a thought nobody has mentioned that as being a possible cause.

wind could be a big factor too, lately i've been having to battle decent wind here and its definitely caused consumption to go up in order to keep temps up just a thought nobody has mentioned that as being a possible cause.

That's what I was going to say. Find a place out of the wind and that will help a lot.

Not sure on a 14.5, but on an 18, Minion, no water, fill (and pack) the charcoal ring to over flowing, keep it out of the wind and you'll get as much as you're going to get out of the smoker. Again, I've never used a 14.5, but I can imagine that over 6 hours is very obtainable. Getting into double digits may be harder. Good luck.

What's the best way to refuel if you're doing a big butt or brisket? I've tossed more unlits in towards the end of the first run of coals before and have had my temps drop to like 150 and never come back up.

Adding unlit coals works fine, but you may have waited too long.

You never said if you are using water in the pan. If you want the longest burn you need to try one of the waterless methods.

Yes there's often a good breeze around here and temps are pretty cool except for the summer - why I got an Egg, but you just can't beat that WSM smoke.

P Jordan;
That bean can is perfect for the Mini-Joe AND the 14.5 and also works well with the 18.5 (but I add 12 lit coals to the 18.5). As a possible matter of interest, I ALWAYS fill my charcoal basket full, I use an empty foiled water pan, and have more than enough to do six half racks of ribs (using two rib racks) or two 8.-9.0 lb. Boston Butts (one on each rack). I have never had to add coals.

FWIW
Keep on smokin',

P Jordan;
That bean can is perfect for the Mini-Joe AND the 14.5 and also works well with the 18.5 (but I add 12 lit coals to the 18.5). As a possible matter of interest, I ALWAYS fill my charcoal basket full, I use an empty foiled water pan, and have more than enough to do six half racks of ribs (using two rib racks) or two 8.-9.0 lb. Boston Butts (one on each rack). I have never had to add coals.

FWIW
Keep on smokin',

Man that sounds great. About what temps does 14.5 run at with this method?

Back