Genny Plat for $50- restoration money pit???

Thanks everyone for your input, and to @DanHoo and @Ed Pinnell for steering me away from the rusted burgundy Platinum II. I ended up with this green one that Dan recommended, much much better shape (hope to get this restored before year end):

Attachments

• 9607FDA3-635F-4047-A46F-E4D0B9CBB7E1.png
    9607FDA3-635F-4047-A46F-E4D0B9CBB7E1.png
    905 KB · Views: 21
Everybody loves a success story! Congrats, Loc...be sure to take lots of pictures along the way and post them so we can see your progress!

Thanks everyone for your input, and to @DanHoo and @Ed Pinnell for steering me away from the rusted burgundy Platinum II. I ended up with this green one that Dan recommended, much much better shape (hope to get this restored before year end):

Glad you were able to get it. Looking forward to the restoration pics.

Is the green platinum a 13 bar or 5 bar?

Last edited:
Glad you were able to get it. Looking forward to the restoration pics.

Is the green platinum a 13 bar or 5 bar?
5 (and has smoker box). I’m not home otherwise I’d post more pics for ya’ll. The firebox dimensions look same as my Gold C which has same beefy Summit frame but has 13 bars. What is the difference functionally?

5 (and has smoker box). I’m not home otherwise I’d post more pics for ya’ll. The firebox dimensions look same as my Gold C which has same beefy Summit frame but has 13 bars. What is the difference functionally?
Something is amok here...I'd like to see the Gold C that has the beefy frame. Can you post a picture? The Gold series is part of the Genesis Silver/Gold/Platinum series of grills that were produced from about 2000-2005 and to the best of my knowledge all of them had the lighter frame, although the later ones had what is known as the SWE (Stop Watch Engineering) frame that was easily assembled. I have a 2004 Gold C that I bought just for the tables so I don't have a ready picture but you can understand my confusion. In post #17 of this thread Dan posted a picture of the stainless steel lid that was part of the Gold package and from what I can see it is sitting on a frame that would be appropriate for a Gold C.

As for the difference, the 13-bar has a lower total BTU burner rating (35k BTU) vs 48k for the Silver/Gold/Platinum series. Intuitively, the 5-bar heats up faster, but not by a significant amount. The 13-bar is a deeper cookbox which lessens flareups and provides more even heat distribution. Also with a deeper cookbox, you can remove the upper layer of bars for additional room for rotisserie cooking of, say, a large turkey, for instance. I think a recent poll shows the 13-bar to be the favorite, but I have both and enjoy cooking on both.

079F7DD4-1993-470D-8A7F-E190F36767A3.jpegSomething is amok here...I'd like to see the Gold C that has the beefy frame. Can you post a picture? The Gold series is part of the Genesis Silver/Gold/Platinum series of grills that were produced from about 2000-2005 and to the best of my knowledge all of them had the lighter frame, although the later ones had what is known as the SWE (Stop Watch Engineering) frame that was easily assembled. I have a 2004 Gold C that I bought just for the tables so I don't have a ready picture but you can understand my confusion. In post #17 of this thread Dan posted a picture of the stainless steel lid that was part of the Gold package and from what I can see it is sitting on a frame that would be appropriate for a Gold C.
I will take more closeup pics when I get home next week. Here is wide shot.

The black Genesis Gold on right is my primary grill, acquired and restored around 2016. The model/serial # was faded but still visible back then (so I was able to find the correct burners), but unfortanately I didn’t take any pics of the restoration or keep records 🥵. The seller said he was only owner and the only mod he did was adding the Smokemeister.

The middle is Genesis Gold with smaller frame that I am restoring for my neighbor. It has the smaller frame diameter.

The green Genesis is the new one I picked up. If possible, I will move the side tables and burner from the green Plat to my black Plat. I want to keep the much-loved Smokemeister set-up for cold smoking.

Before I left town, I quickly measured the fireboxes and it seems the 5 bar Plat is same dimensions as the black 13 bar Gold. I’ll verify that they are indeed identical next week when I get back home before swapping the boxes.

Thanks, Loc! I'm not very knowledgeable on this series of grill, as you may have noticed. I'd like to see a close-up of the lid emblem on the black grill when convenient...did Weber re-use the emblem from the ss lid in the middle?

It was surprising to me to know that there was two Platinum Series produced at the same time and now I find out that each series has its own Gold models. I would have thought there would be greater product distinction, but obviously not. Another case of what the heck was Weber thinking.

Oh, and not to mention the Platinum series of kettles, which Dan pointed out. Weber must have had only one part-time person working in the product marketing department.

Yah, it gets confusing and I still don't have it down.
Have you rehabbed a Platinum II with the Summit frame? They seem to have their own following. I just wonder if they sell as well as the others. I think Sam Bee did one a while back and it sold pretty quickly.

They will sell and they are very good grills, but their unique parts make them a tough grill to rehab without spending a lot of money. Here is one Free on the Curb by me.

Those grills are a little strange. They only have 5 flavorizer bars but use the same burner tubes, drip tray, and control panel as a Genesis 1000. For some reason though, the part # for the manifold is different. I'm guessing the reason for that is a difference in the length of the arms that attach it to the firebox.

Before I left town, I quickly measured the fireboxes and it seems the 5 bar Plat is same dimensions as the black 13 bar Gold. I’ll verify that they are indeed identical next week when I get back home before swapping the boxes.
See post 46 in this thread. The Cook Box's are very close in dimensions.

Jeff

• Love
Reactions: Loc
They are definitely one of Weber's more unusual animals. It was I guess a time of transition as they experimented with just one row of flavorizer bars. Yet the old Weber was still there, and drafting the beefy Summit frame for this special Genesis was a pretty cool idea.

I am not sure what I think about the big "wing" tables. In one way they help with the "macho" look this uncommon model has but they also make for a pretty wide grill with a firebox no larger than any other Genesis. For practical use the last Silver B/C grills, especially the Bs with the double flip up tables make more space available to you and take up less deck/patio space. It is still one very sharp grill. If there had been a "crub alert" near me, I would have been all over it.

Have you rehabbed a Platinum II with the Summit frame? They seem to have their own following. I just wonder if they sell as well as the others. I think Sam Bee did one a while back and it sold pretty quickly.
Yup, I did but kept it. Here's the thread on it...

See post #54 for the completed grill.

Thanks, Loc! I'm not very knowledgeable on this series of grill, as you may have noticed. I'd like to see a close-up of the lid emblem on the black grill when convenient...did Weber re-use the emblem from the ss lid in the middle?

It was surprising to me to know that there was two Platinum Series produced at the same time and now I find out that each series has its own Gold models. I would have thought there would be greater product distinction, but obviously not. Another case of what the heck was Weber thinking.

Oh, and not to mention the Platinum series of kettles, which Dan pointed out. Weber must have had only one part-time person working in the product marketing department.
Here is closeup of my black Gold C. Whether it originally came with 5 or 13 bars, I don’t know. 13 fit in it now.

I must have gotten the 13 from donor grills if it didn’t originally come with them. This was my first gas Weber ever, and first refurb in 2016. Didn’t know much then and not enough to take pictures. It was a frustrating time for me, yard littered with wreckage from 4 dead grills and all I wanted was one functioning unit.

Attachments

• 6AC5DB57-14E0-4EF7-AFC6-D28BFBD5ED6A.jpeg
    6AC5DB57-14E0-4EF7-AFC6-D28BFBD5ED6A.jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 0FD5A82E-9A25-4242-BA07-7678EAB11988.jpeg
    0FD5A82E-9A25-4242-BA07-7678EAB11988.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 20
Thanks for the pics, Loc! And from the link that @Sam Bee posted it certainly looks like any other Genesis lid would fit should you not like the Platinum II lid, but please don't take my word for it! These Platinum II's are a unique series of grills and have their own special appeal, that's the one thing that's for certain.

I thought I’d post pictures of the “before” state (not sure when I can work on rehabbing it though).

No major surprises… rusted out frame crossbar, bowed but functioning firebox, clogged burners, etc. Frame has rusted through at joints below door hinges, I can poke my finger through.

Side/back cabinet panels is intact, and lid looks just as new. Bottom shelf is rusted but not too bad, looks like still good metal underneath.

The best discovery is the side burner. It shoots a single flame a foot high and sounds like a jet engine. Not sure if this is normal and hope it doesn’t blowtorch a hole in my pan 🌋

Edit: the holes at joints^^ are supposed to be there. Have Gold C with similar summit frame, looks like drainage holes.

Attachments

• D7F0DFD9-9636-46C8-8233-29C8834BDCF2.jpeg
    D7F0DFD9-9636-46C8-8233-29C8834BDCF2.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 21
  • CD05A665-A5C7-436F-9C34-DECCCEE36F0F.jpeg
    CD05A665-A5C7-436F-9C34-DECCCEE36F0F.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 20
  • A6379E14-872F-4E54-82BA-F18C165EC56D.jpeg
    A6379E14-872F-4E54-82BA-F18C165EC56D.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 2F690238-D929-4A95-981F-E9C86859F136.jpeg
    2F690238-D929-4A95-981F-E9C86859F136.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 08065F15-81D5-4AE2-A3EF-AECEEF7F99EA.jpeg
    08065F15-81D5-4AE2-A3EF-AECEEF7F99EA.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 19
  • F3EC4E7B-94ED-483D-9866-3199BF9B8F95.jpeg
    F3EC4E7B-94ED-483D-9866-3199BF9B8F95.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 20
  • CB58FF38-5312-4C30-9D86-74FD187B443E.jpeg
    CB58FF38-5312-4C30-9D86-74FD187B443E.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 19
  • B5987814-AC87-4B06-BE6D-C7D5C635B42F.jpeg
    B5987814-AC87-4B06-BE6D-C7D5C635B42F.jpeg
    305.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 9DEC2A6A-7B84-4FAA-A767-1BEB1EF835CB.jpeg
    9DEC2A6A-7B84-4FAA-A767-1BEB1EF835CB.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 7A97ABEA-30C3-416A-ACEE-8BB8577174A6.jpeg
    7A97ABEA-30C3-416A-ACEE-8BB8577174A6.jpeg
    220.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Whew! It looks like you have your work cut out with that one. I don't think there is going to be any saving that drip tray though. Hopefully there will be enough metal left on the manifold to save that. Oh, and I don't think the side burner is supposed to do that lol😀

Back