Genny Plat for $50- restoration money pit???

There is typically a plate that sits on top of the side burner that acts as a diffuser. Let me see if I can find a picture...

EDIT: Here ya go. It's called a burner cap.

It seems I am missing both the silver slotted ring and black cap.
Those are loose parts and it's not uncommon to find them missing, either when picking up the grill or when you get home. I've done that.

FE7A2450-17D8-4234-93A8-401100C6F8BA.jpegD471B88C-B7C8-4F0C-AEEC-583FAA85C928.jpeg

It seems the diffuser parts from my kitchen stove solve the problem. But I’ve now robbed wife to pay Paul

I like what Loc did here. Now we all know you can use gas stove parts to fix a side burner. You probably can't even get those missing parts from Weber anymore.

You are right Steve, a search for these parts on a few websites results in “item discontinued”.

I contacted the seller and she’ll rummage through her kitchen, hopefully she’ll find them. At least she found owners manual with serial # 😀.

Is the manifold on a Genesis (circa
Those grills are a little strange. They only have 5 flavorizer bars but use the same burner tubes, drip tray, and control panel as a Genesis 1000. For some reason though, the part # for the manifold is different. I'm guessing the reason for that is a difference in the length of the arms that attach it to the firebox.
@Steve Hoch
Those grills are a little strange. They only have 5 flavorizer bars but use the same burner tubes, drip tray, and control panel as a Genesis 1000. For some reason though, the part # for the manifold is different. I'm guessing the reason for that is a difference in the length of the arms that attach it to the firebox.
@Steve Hoch or anyone else, do you guys know if the manifold from a 2000-2001 Genesis Gold without a side burner is same as one with a sideburner? In other words, the one without a SB is identical to one with a SB, but it is just capped off? My manifold is rusted badly, but I found a donor grill w/o an SB (but owner is being difficult and won’t snap add’l pictures). So can I just take manifold from donor grill and attach my sideburner??

Is the manifold on a Genesis (circa

@Steve Hoch

@Steve Hoch or anyone else, do you guys know if the manifold from a 2000-2001 Genesis Gold without a side burner is same as one with a sideburner? In other words, the one without a SB is identical to one with a SB, but it is just capped off? My manifold is rusted badly, but I found a donor grill w/o an SB (but owner is being difficult and won’t snap add’l pictures). So can I just take manifold from donor grill and attach my sideburner??
Yes, they should be the same manifold. How bad is your rust. I had good luck removing rust from 1998 manifold with a wire wheel in my drill and then repainting it. Sometimes the rust looks worse than it is. In any case, those manifolds should be interchangeable.

Likely they are interchangeable, but the real question is: Will the non-sideburner grill have a port (capped off) for a side burner?

If it doesn't have the additional port capped off you could conjure it up with a couple of brass fittings.

One F-F-F tee, and one close threaded nipple might be all that's needed. a 90 degree M-M fitting might be cleaner depending on where the port for the supply line is. If it comes straight down, the 90 degree M-M might work well.

Likely they are interchangeable, but the real question is: Will the non-sideburner grill have a port (capped off) for a side burner?
Yes Bruce, that’s the million dollar question. These Genesis with Summit frames have odd parts. I’m not skilled enough to do what @DanHoo suggested above though, likely blow myself up. Just want to uncap and screw on sideburner supply line.

If it doesn't have the additional port capped off you could conjure it up with a couple of brass fittings.

One F-F-F tee, and one close threaded nipple might be all that's needed. a 90 degree M-M fitting might be cleaner depending on where the port for the supply line is. If it comes straight down, the 90 degree M-M might work well.
Adapters and what not won't help unless there is an unused port to put them into. The only possibility with adapters would be to get a "Y" or "T" fitting to split the line coming up to the grill and have one go to the manifold and one to the side burner. Best solution however would be a manifold with that spare port.

Here is a Genesis manifold with the spare port. One is the source from the tank and the other is a tap for the side burner. The spare port (Yellow Arrow) is "capped" and the main port is on the underside of the manifold just to the left of the right most valve. The gas supply hose is not connected in this photo

Gen 1000 with extra port.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, they should be the same manifold. How bad is your rust. I had good luck removing rust from 1998 manifold with a wire wheel in my drill and then repainting it. Sometimes the rust looks worse than it is. In any case, those manifolds should be interchangeable.
Thanks for the info. If I remove any more rust, I’d have nothing left to repaint 😬

Thanks for the info. If I remove any more rust, I’d have nothing left to repaint 😬
Although I would still like to take a crack at that manifold myself, I trust your judgment. How is that bottom drip tray? It looked like Swiss cheese in the picture you posted.

The only possibility with adapters would be to get a "Y" or "T" fitting to split the line coming up to the grill and have one go to the manifold and one to the side burner. Best solution however would be a manifold with that spare port.
This was what I was trying to say with a T fitting.

I think it can be done with two parts. The T and a close nipple or a M-M 90.

I am pretty much in your boat Jon. I don't get a lot of enthusiasm when I ask my wife to drive an hour with me to grab a grill. She tolerates my hobby but doesn't go out of her way to partake in it in any way.
I get an enthusiastic “hell no” from my wife when I ask her to go pick up a grill with me ever since a 6 hour round trip turned into an 11 hour trip due to a tire bow out, tow truck bill and new tire for a Genesis Junior that is now dubbed “that damn grill” (which has not been restored yet).

It could be cobbled together with a T and some adapters. On older ones though you're more likely to have a capped port than not though

Reactions: Loc

Back