Genny Plat for $50- restoration money pit???

@Steve Hoch Swiss cheese drip tray would be an improvement. I’m picking up donor next week, seller says firebox is cracked but everything else is salvageable. I hope that’s true.

I get an enthusiastic “hell no” from my wife when I ask her to go pick up a grill with me ever since a 6 hour round trip turned into an 11 hour trip due to a tire bow out, tow truck bill and new tire for a Genesis Junior that is now dubbed “that damn grill” (which has not been restored yet).
I bought a '53 Chevy Sedan Delivery out of OK in our younger years that turned into a similar debacle. I finally had to sell it because of her resentment. She hates that car to this day so we don't talk about it. You might be in for a rocky ride.

I picked up a donor grill tonight. What would cause firebox to develop a big blowout hole like this?

0EA0FC28-79A9-4B6A-ABB5-AF23A5CBF256.jpeg

It's burned through, probably from a bad grease fire. Hopefully there's some other good parts, like that drip tray and the manifold.

Yep a bad burner (though does not appear to be) or more likely a large grease conflagration. Cast aluminum is quite sensitive to extreme heat levels. One more reason I don't recommend weird mods and or things that hold more than "designed for" heat in the fire box. While it may not always burn through like this, it definitely taxes the limits of it's design. Also being careful of cleaning out all the grease and debris. Maintaining does not always mean keeping it looking showroom. That's like the person always polishing the car but never changes the oil

I am pausing work on this Genesis Plat. While sourcing donor grills for parts, something else caught my attention. It’s getting delivered today:

0B5509D2-2685-4FE2-8686-2DC36A7755FE.jpeg

I’ll start a new thread on it. I’ve never seen one in person, and the pictures online are usually of the front. Even the backside is beautiful.

That's a Vieluxe, I am pretty certain. The best Weber (even though that is disguised) and maybe the best gas grill ever. We will definitely look forward to seeing the story on that unfold.

May be "the best" but not, in my opinion, the most aesthetically appealing. Some of the restorations posted by Bruce, Sam and others, in my view, completely blow it away.

I would trade any of my rehabs for a fully functional Veilux. However, it would be like someone trading me a Masseratti for my chevy pickup. I wouldn't be able to keep it due to upkeep and the fact that it would be an overboard luxury to me.

If either happened to me, I would sell off the Vieluxe or Masseratti and buy a really nice replacement pickup.

May be "the best" but not, in my opinion, the most aesthetically appealing. Some of the restorations posted by Bruce, Sam and others, in my view, completely blow it away.
Yes, I was talking about performance and quality of construction. In these areas, the Vieluxe is far, far above our beloved old Genesis grills. Style is another thing. The Vieluxe is another of the many all stainless grills that, to me, take on a kind of "blah" look. However, I think the Vieluxe looks better than most of these. The swing out table to reveal the coolest sideburner I have ever seen is one good example.

Still, I LOVE old wood slat grills.

Jon: I think you could replace that right side shelf with a wood one. Get some SS Z bars from RCP and some nice dark wood.

Some of you guessed it, it’s a 6 burner Vieluxe. I’ll get a closer look at it and start a new thread with pictures. In meantime, my immediate task is to get it off the driveway. Casters are shredded, too heavy to bear hug and move.

Casters are stamped GLC. What is the nub by the green weed? It turns but doesn’t unscrew.

EE4CAE9E-4810-4F5B-A88B-5001EDA27D9A.jpeg

Some of you guessed it, it’s a 6 burner Vieluxe. I’ll get a closer look at it and start a new thread with pictures. In meantime, my immediate task is to get it off the driveway. Casters are shredded, too heavy to bear hug and move.

Casters are stamped GLC. What is the nub by the green weed? It turns but doesn’t unscrew.

View attachment 43727
A press-in grease fitting is my guess. Does not use a coupler, but the small hand held grease gun with a pointed tip. G.L.C. is probably the name of the company that manufactured the caster (my guess).

Back