Grabbed me a 2000-01 Genesis Gold

If that is a Gold, what is different from a platinum?

And I did not realize the part circled below was removable. I know what it is, but how is it held on, with screws?

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Bruce,
See the brochure here for the differences between the Platinum and Gold.

They share the same frame and bottom wire rack as well as the same 5 bar deep Cook Box on the years 2000-2001. The side tables, shelves, and side burner all all different with the "good stuff" reserved for the top of the line Platinum.

Both frames come apart super easy, remove about 1/2 dozen screws and they're all apart.

That piece you circled connects the two frame pieces and removes with two screws.

78Di39x.jpg

Jeff

OK, I assumed the circled piece was welded in like on Silver B/C grills. I just tore into one yesterday and I was thinking it was a Platinum, but I guess it was just a Gold C. I never bothered to even look at the lid badge. ahahaha.

I have a question however on these grills. Even though they are 5 bar grills, if I am right in my thinking, they don't use the normal Silver B burners or flavorizer bars. They actually use Genesis 1000 burners and I think the bottom 5 flavorizer bars from a Genesis 1000 as well. Is that correct. This is the first 2000-2001 Gold/Platinum that I have ever torn into.

Oh, and what about the manifold: Isn't that the same as a Genesis 1000 as well?

I have a spare 1000-5000 Manifold and compared them, they are the same Manifold with the same spacing.

The Flavorizer Bars are unique to the 2000-2001 Gold/Platinum as they are 5 of them but they are 3" tall to compensate for the taller Cook Box.

Jeff

Last edited:
Yah, mine came with a set of the bars in good shape. I assumed they were just the bottom five from a set of Genesis 1000 bars as they are not as tall as Silver B/C bars.

Do you know if Genesis 1000 burners fit this grill?

Burners are identical.. Weber #7506 fit both.
The stock Flavorizer Bars are actually taller than both the #7537 Silver B/C bars as well as 1000-5000
# 7538 bars.
The Gold/Platinum use Weber part #9913 FB's.

Here is the Genesis Gold Cook Box compared to the Box off my 5000. Looks to be about 1/2" difference in height.

qD52uVr.jpg

9qwVHfC.jpg

Jeff

Last edited:
OK, this has me all confused now. I have to go out and spend some time looking over my Gold C and doing some comparisons. I knew it was a different animal than the Silver B/C, but it looks like in your picture, it is a 13 bar cook box. I assumed it was a 5 bar box and never questioned that, much less verified. it.

in the forward facing pic the 13 bar 5000 box is on the left- the 5 bar Genesis Gold box is on the right.

Jeff

Jeff, does the Gold box have a row for the second level of flavo bars? I can't tell from the first picture as it is too dark?

Seems strange they only made that for 2 years not much efficiency in tooling for a short run like that. Wonder why they just did not stick with it as they already got the cost savings from 8 less bars.

This opens up a ton of questions for me. Such as, can the 2000-2001 Gold C cook box fit on a Silver B/C frame?

Jeff, does the Gold box have a row for the second level of flavo bars? I can't tell from the first picture as it is too dark?
I just went out and gave it a quick scraping followed by a Dawn Power Dissolver soak. I'll repost some pics in a bit.
No 2nd row..only a 5 bar box exclusive to the 2001-2001 Gold and Platinum.

This opens up a ton of questions for me. Such as, can the 2000-2001 Gold C cook box fit on a Silver B/C frame?

I'm 99% sure it will not fit, too deep.

Jeff

Bruce,
Sorry, should have said depth front-to rear of box...I need a Coffee. :sleep:

Edit:
It might also be wider as well as the #7508 Burner Tubes used on the Silver B/C are 28 1/8" long where the #7506 tubes used on the 1000-5000 / 00/01 Platinum/Gold bars are 29 1/4" long.

Jeff

Last edited:
OH. OK, I am going to have to pull the fire box and just see what it is all about.

Can you answer another question. The legs on my Gold C seem to not be real smooth, almost like bubbling from rust under the paint, but I don't think that is it. I am thinking it is more of a paint issue. Is yours like that at all. The legs are otherwise solid.

Jeff, how does that Dawn Power Dissolve work? The powder coat guy I use mentioned using a Dawn product and I wonder if this is it.

Bruce,
After a quick Dawn Power Dissolver cleaning and a quick scrape-down you can see the Box is indeed a 5 row.

jU4omAS.jpg

Jeff

Jeff, how does that Dawn Power Dissolve work? The powder coat guy I use mentioned using a Dawn product and I wonder if this is it.

This was just a light scrape followed by the Dawn PD and a spray-down with the Garden Hose.. Normally I'd do two coats of Dawn followed by the Pressure Washer.

I use Dawn Power Dissolver on all my restores.

Jeff

Last edited:

Back