Grabbed me a 2000-01 Genesis Gold

Jeff MA

TVWBB All-Star
While scrolling through Facebook Marketplace this one caught my eye-

RJ4Jw3T.jpg
I I knew by the pic that is was one of the unique 2000-2001 Genesis Gold models which I always had a thing for so I contacted the seller. She said I was second in line and would let me know if the other person backed out, A day later I get the call and she says "if you want it it's yours."
I grabbed my Brother and his Nissan Frontier and we made the 85 mile trek to Londonderry Vermont. It was a rainy day here in Mass so after picking it up we stopped in at the Vermont Country Store which is always a good time.

The Flavorizer Bars as well as the Grates were toast but I have plenty of spares of those so I replaced both items. cleaned it up a little bit and she fired right up.

oiEjreX.jpg

GWp1pFn.jpg

nUQbSj1.jpg

Gets plenty hot and the side burner works as well.
SgYVaQt.jpg

Here is is next to my 1996 Platinum II-

5Zi13rV.jpg

JdnbfyK.jpg

I will check it out better over the next couple days and decide what my plans are.

Jeff

Last edited:
This ones for Jon...

I know you stated when you saw a Genesis Gold over at Bruce's that you though there was little shelf space for such a big grill.

Here is the shelf of the Gold vs the Platinum.

al5Qqfo.jpg

The Platinum has a wider/deeper shelf and while both models have a side burner there is no shelf space on the right side of Gold whatsoever.

Jeff

Four years on, your restoration the Platinum Series II still looks brand new. Can't wait to see what you have in store for Black Gold.

While scrolling through Facebook Marketplace this one caught my eye-

RJ4Jw3T.jpg
I I knew by the pic that is was one of the unique 2000-2001 Genesis Gold models which I always had a thing for so I contacted the seller. She said I was second in line and would let me know if the other person backed out, A day later I get the call and she says "if you want it it's yours."
I grabbed my Brother and his Nissan Frontier and we made the trek to 85 mile trek to Londonderry Vermont. It was a rainy day here in Mass so after picking it up we stopped in at the Vermont Country Store which is always a good time.

The Flavorizer Bars as well as the Grates were toast but I have plenty of spares of those so I replaced both items. cleaned it up a little bit and she fired right up.

oiEjreX.jpg

GWp1pFn.jpg

nUQbSj1.jpg

Gets plenty hot and the side burner works as well.
SgYVaQt.jpg

Here is is next to my 1996 Platinum II-

5Zi13rV.jpg

JdnbfyK.jpg

I will check it out better over the next couple days and decide what my plans are.

Jeff

Plans? What other plan could there be besides adding that to your collection?😆

Nice score! I'd keep the Platinum if it were down to keeping only one but you can't go wrong with either one.

QUESTION --- the lid end caps and handles are different on those two. However, I would
like to know if the liner is interchangeable between the two. I have a newly acquired 2001
platinum with a black lid. I love the end caps and handle, but will certainly replace the
black liner if possible.

Dave,
I am pretty sure that won’t work. His blue Platinum is from the very end of the original hood design. That Gold has the “transitional” hood that evolved into the last ones with the thermometer in the middle. I don’t think you can interchange the liners between what he has because of that rounded top front corner. The Platinum grills of the same year as that Gold also had the newer hood but with a partially stainless handle. I think that became a straight stainless tube handle a year or two after that.

I like the Platinum side shelves that, as Jeff showed, give you a lot more useable space while making the grill less wide. But I would scarf that condiment shelf from the Gold and add it to the Platinum.

Last edited:
I thought we were just using that term for the inside porcelain part of the hood between the endcaps. I don't think any of those back then had liners.

Great lookin' grills! If this restore is anything like your other, people will be benefiting from your thread for years to come. Looking forward to seeing what you can do with it!

So, did the porcelain lids on those grills have liners?
Thats a 4am , just rolled out of bed, post for me.
I was referring to the porcelain part of the hood.
I eyeballed it when I got it, and it looked the same.
But I didn't measure or actually take it apart yet.
It may likely be fall or winter before I get around to it,
but either way the grill be wearing a new hat when it
is completed.

Plans? What other plan could there be besides adding that to your collection?😆
You need to add a SS Platinum to that collection. That would be a trifecta.

Jon,
I'll see about a couple rust issues with the frame and see if it's worth saving or grabbing what I need for my Platinum and parting out the rest.

Bruce,
I must be one of the only people who dislike Stainless Steel appliances. Either in the Home or outside. I'll take Porcelain any day.

Jeff

QUESTION --- the lid end caps and handles are different on those two. However, I would
like to know if the liner is interchangeable between the two. I have a newly acquired 2001
platinum with a black lid. I love the end caps and handle, but will certainly replace the
black liner if possible.
Dave,
I am pretty sure that won’t work. His blue Platinum is from the very end of the original hood design. That Gold has the “transitional” hood that evolved into the last ones with the thermometer in the middle. I don’t think you can interchange the liners between what he has because of that rounded top front corner. The Platinum grills of the same year as that Gold also had the newer hood but with a partially stainless handle. I think that became a straight stainless tube handle a year or two after that.

Had a little time tonight and proceeded to take off the End Caps and Handle off the Gold and test fit them on my Gray 5000 lid... Jon, is correct, the lid of the Gold is larger and shaped differently than the 1-5000 series Genesis models and the Chunky Caps and unique Handle of the Gold don't fit.

tMqYkWS.jpg

e0zH8iH.jpg

uk5tCZZ.jpg

The good news is you can grab any older Genesis Hood or B/C model with their included End Caps and it will fit right on the Cook Box of the Gold.

mChpc1N.jpg

Jeff

Great lookin' grills! If this restore is anything like your other, people will be benefiting from your thread for years to come. Looking forward to seeing what you can do with it!

I'm glad to be of assistance to this fine community.

Jeff

Back