Grabbed me a 2000-01 Genesis Gold

Bruce,
I must be one of the only people who dislike Stainless Steel appliances. Either in the Home or outside. I'll take Porcelain any day.

Jeff
Jeff. I hate the SS lids. I much prefer the porcelain lids. But, I am talking about the 2004-2005 Platinums that had a stainless frame.

Jeff. I hate the SS lids. I much prefer the porcelain lids. But, I am talking about the 2004-2005 Platinums that had a stainless frame.

Speaking of those, hypothetically if I found one, could it be painted black? I want the quality but not really a fan of the look.

CW: YOu could paint it black, but it won't last. If you try to clean it up with anything other than a cotton rag and soapy water, it will come off.

ok thanks, I guess I'll stop that hunt then

If you want the '05-'06 Platinum stainless frame (who doesn't?) but want a color porcelain hood, find a Platinum and trade out the hood. This 2 year only Genesis Platinum is the only one Weber made with a 304 stainless frame. You can go stock, but it is also a perfect underpinning for any custom Genesis project. I would like to see one where the frame is stainless but the trim, control panel, hood & knobs are all black.

p.s. Yes, painting stainless or porcelain is a total disaster waiting to happen.

This is a SS Platinum that I did last year and put a Red lid on. The one I plan to do as my personal grill this year WILL have the black knobs and handles.

20190731 Stainless Steel Platinum (1).JPG

Just saw what you snagged on Facebook and ironically this is what I snagged last night off of facebook as well. I dont know what the difference is between the two but mine is just a Silver. Mine even came with a mouse nest.

Attachments

• 20200724_182533.jpg
    20200724_182533.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 20200724_182545.jpg
    20200724_182545.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20200724_182549.jpg
    20200724_182549.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 21
Besides being older than yours, the biggest difference between yours and the two Platinums is the shelves and the frame. The frame much more stout on those older Platinums.

You have a fine grill but that bottom pan is going to be a rust issue for you.

Made Smash burgers for the Family tonight on the Gold. It gets up to 550 degrees very quickly, perfect for Smash burgers.

20200727_174056_HDR.jpg

One thing I dislike...the handle is much closer to the lid than my Platinum and it gets extremely hot, almost burn your hand hot.

Jeff

Last edited:
Maybe one of those later round Genesis handles would fit it.

Anyway, where is the photo of the smash burgers?

Apart from that, that looks like one happy kid, Jeff!! I hope he helps you out on your rehabs, which are beee -u- tiful, in my opinion.

What I wouldn't give for a blue Platinum like the one in the background. Is there ever an end to this Weberitis?

Apart from that, that looks like one happy kid, Jeff!! I hope he helps you out on your rehabs, which are beee -u- tiful, in my opinion.

What I wouldn't give for a blue Platinum like the one in the background. Is there ever an end to this Weberitis?

NO! 🤣

Made Smashburgers for the Family tonight on the Gold. It gets up tp 550 very quickly, perfect for Smashburgers.

View attachment 10378

One thing I dislike...the handle is much closer to the lid than my Platinum and it gets extremely hot, almost burn your hand hot.

Jeff

That style hood needs the old Weber Handle Light. Besides giving light - best with an LED upgrade - it also moves your lift point out further from the hood. The curved handle on the later Silvers was one of the really good improvements that model brought. Too bad they won’t fit the older hoods.

p.s. Looks like a fun meal, Jeff! In the end, smiling faces like his are the best reasons of all for this hobby😋.

After cooking on the Gold the last couple weeks and making sure everything was working correctly I tore it completely down. It took exactly 23 minutes, yep..I timed myself. :giggle:

y0pJhrC.jpg

The front tubing leg support is bowed out and rusted badly inside and starting to rust on the outside. The hood is dented/scratched/faded in several places so that heads to the scrap pile as well.

KV6cVwt.jpg

IqM8J8h.jpg

The Firebox just needs a good cleaning and I already took out all the screws by hand. This includes the grease tray slide rails, manifold bolts, and the screws that strike fear in all Weber restorer's ..the Burner line-up screws.;)
I have done close to a dozen now, never snapped a one. I know, I just jinxed myself.

I will transplant the cool front-mounted full length wire rack onto my Platinum.

Everything else is salvageable so I will hold onto it for my next project brewing in my head.
Stay tuned.

Jeff

Back