Genesis Redhead 1100 "Diamondplate Edition" Restoration

Looks good to me. It would be great if we could source these things cheaper than $5 a pop.

Very Nice Joel.
I have some questions:
1) Is that tank scale graphic label going to print out the proper size as it is?
Also, the PDF you provide only has ONE label on it. Will it print just one per sheet when I go to print it?

2) Where do you get the "Sticker" material to print it on?

3) Any chance you can do up one for the Scale readout on the front right leg of the grill frame? Like this one: http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/Demosthenes9/media/cGF0aDpXRWIgU3R1ZmYvR2VuMWEuanBn/?ref=

Bruce,
1. If you print out the PDF using acrobat and make sure it its set to print at original size it should be dead on. If you print out the JPG, I'm not sure. I could size it to fit on a 5x7 or 4x6, if anyone has interest in that? It will only print 1 label. Again if you want I can filla whole 8.5 x 11 sheet up with them and post if that's of interest to anyone.
2. I used Avery 8768 Glossy Photo Quality White Labels, which I'm not currently seeing on Amazon. I had them already because I'm always doing this kind of stuff. Any glossy sticker paper product white a white background should work. Also, I forgot this on mine, but since they will be outside I would recommend spraying clear over them to seal the ink.
3. I did do the tank scale, then I tried calling Weber and they sold me an original one. Never the less I'll post it here shortly in the same formats if anyone wants it.

Last edited:
Here is a label I made myself. I don't claim that it is perfect. It seems the OEM one that has been offered here has the stripes in a light gray. I made mine white, but I suppose I could redo. The originals I have seen have rounded corners like I have made here. I think some others are sharp corners.

My printer can make whole sheets of these on a vinyl material that would just have to be cut out individually - like I did this one. A single sheet would do a bunch of grills. I am waiting on a price from him and will offer them very reasonably to anyone interested.

What do you all think?

fXTADLC.jpg

Jon,
It looks great! A little tip on the round corners, while its still on the backing you can hit them with some fine sandpaper and even them out. I Promise it works, that's how I did mine!

Very cool Joel! I didn’t do a tear down on the scale but, come spring, I will remove and restore that! Yours looks really good, might need to get someone to print me two of the warning labels!

When I opened the file I realized I never scaled it to the final size, I'll measure tonight. If you ever wondered what this stuff looks like in process here it is:
04.jpg

Very cool Joel! I didn’t do a tear down on the scale but, come spring, I will remove and restore that! Yours looks really good, might need to get someone to print me two of the warning labels!

Thanks Timothy! Best of luck, glad I could help.

Last edited:
When I opened the file I realized I never scaled it to the final size, I'll measure tonight. If you ever wondered what this stuff looks like in process here it is:
04.jpg

Joel,

That’s spectacular. It’s very kind of you to share your art abilities. I am just a CPA playing at it. Yours looks perfect, so I will scrap mine in favor of what you made. Are you sure you are ok with us using? I can tell you that we all try to share here, so I am very hopeful some of us can help you as well. Amongst all of us active members are a pretty big trove of parts and ideas. Let me and others know how we can help you, too!

Jon

Joel,

That’s spectacular. It’s very kind of you to share your art abilities. I am just a CPA playing at it. Yours looks perfect, so I will scrap mine in favor of what you made. Are you sure you are ok with us using? I can tell you that we all try to share here, so I am very hopeful some of us can help you as well. Amongst all of us active members are a pretty big trove of parts and ideas. Let me and others know how we can help you, too!

Jon

Thank you Jon! No problem, I'm happy to help out. Although yours looked just as convincing in my opinion. I've already gotten some help with a nice control panel sans holes (although if someone happens to have an NOS one around let me know:))

Okay I'm going to break these into 2 posts so they are easier to find.
This one will be an amendment to the Tank Scale Danger decal.
I've laid it out as 6 decals per sheet.
You should be able to print them out on an 8.5 x 11 sticker sheet.
Set your printer to no scaling and borderless printing .
If it says some info we be cropped that is okay because they don't stretch all the way to the end of the page.
They should print out at the original size, which is 1.375" x 3.1875"
Spray the printout with Gloss or Matte Clear spray paint, this will seal it from the elements.
As before, downloading the PDF version here will give you best results tank-danger-6up.pdf

However, below you will find a hi-res JPG that should work as well.
tank-danger-6up.jpg

Attachments

• tank-danger-6up.pdf
    558.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited by a moderator:
This relates to the Tank Scale Decal.
Here is a scan of my unused decal.
01.jpg

As you can see, Jon was correct, the ink is more gray than white.
If you would like to print out your own follow these steps:

I've laid it out as 6 decals per sheet.
You should be able to print them out on an 8.5 x 11 sticker sheet.
Set your printer to no scaling and borderless printing .
If it says some info we be cropped that is okay because they don't stretch all the way to the end of the page.
They should print out at the original size, which is 1.0625" x 4.25"
Spray the printout with Gloss or Matte Clear spray paint, this will seal it from the elements.
As before, downloading the PDF version here will give you best results tank-scale-6up.pdf

However, below you will find a hi-res JPG that should work as well.
tank-scale-6up.jpg

Attachments

• tank-scale-6up.pdf
    83.6 KB · Views: 76
Last edited by a moderator:
Joel, thanks for that. That is awesome. Now, I just have to find some vinyl sticker stock to print them on.

Joel,

Those are SO PERFECT! I am going to work with my printer friend who had started helping me with my clumsy attempt at the tank label. He can print on a vinyl-type peal and stick material. I am sure they won't last forever but hopefully would be a small step up in durability from inkjet label sheets that I would have to do at home.

When I get a final from him, I will be happy to send you some sheets for you to use. You are very generous in sharing your obvious talent. I plan, in turn, to share sheets (or single labels) at cost with other members who are interested. I am hoping this will make replacing labels a low cost, easy option for fellow members and especially those who are restoring a number of Genesis grills.

Jon

Jon, yah, those would probably be ideal over ink jet printed decals. I suppose a shot of clear over the top would help a lot, but probably still wouldn't last like professional vinyl decals.

Jon, yah, those would probably be ideal over ink jet printed decals. I suppose a shot of clear over the top would help a lot, but probably still wouldn't last like professional vinyl decals.

Bruce,

As soon as I can get it worked out with my printer, I have you covered;)!

Jon

Joel, thanks for that. That is awesome. Now, I just have to find some vinyl sticker stock to print them on.

Joel,

Those are SO PERFECT! I am going to work with my printer friend who had started helping me with my clumsy attempt at the tank label. He can print on a vinyl-type peal and stick material. I am sure they won't last forever but hopefully would be a small step up in durability from inkjet label sheets that I would have to do at home.

When I get a final from him, I will be happy to send you some sheets for you to use. You are very generous in sharing your obvious talent. I plan, in turn, to share sheets (or single labels) at cost with other members who are interested. I am hoping this will make replacing labels a low cost, easy option for fellow members and especially those who are restoring a number of Genesis grills.

Jon

No Problem! I'm glad I could contribute something. I know posting Amazon links can be tricky as stuff goes obsolete so quick, but I've had good luck with this vinyl sticker paper:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07D7K96JJ/tvwb-20

I most recently used it to make a new license plate for my daughters Cozy Coupe

03.jpg

Joel, that is so cool. I love it. Has she been pulled over for expired registration yet???

Jon, I appreciate that. Thanks.

Back