Genesis Redhead 1100 "Diamondplate Edition" Restoration

I am curious about the amount of time and sand needed to do this. Can I do 2 end caps and a firebox with a couple of bags of sand
in an hour with no recovery system? Will it take 20 bags and all day? Somewhere in the middle?

When I went to Home Depot this time they only had 100 lb bags of sand for $10. That is plenty to do ends caps and a firebox, probably several grills worth.

However the time would be the killer. I'd say it realistically took me 1 hour to do the end caps. Buts it's not an easy or pleasant hour. My guess is the firebox alone would be 2 hours+. Most powder coating places also do sand blasting, if I ever had a need to do the firebox I would just take it there. It would be the best $50 you ever spent.

Yah, that kind of expense tends to kill the grill's profit margin. Replacing grates and bars is bad enough. Maybe it could be done cheaper and maybe if you brought them three or four boxes at a time, it could be cheaper?????

Yah, that kind of expense tends to kill the grill's profit margin. Replacing grates and bars is bad enough. Maybe it could be done cheaper and maybe if you brought them three or four boxes at a time, it could be cheaper?????

If you build a relationship, I'm sure. The last time I took them some exhaust manifolds they did them for free. Granted, I've done a lot of business with them and I'm not showing up every week asking for freebies.

Since I'm repainting the frame, I decided to go ahead and fully disassemble it. Almost every joint had these large gaps, which I was worried might be hard to fix.

IMG_2102.jpg

Luckily it turns out it was just poorly assembled, easily fixed when it goes back together.

IMG_2103.jpg

IMG_2104.jpg

IMG_2105.jpg

Looks like I'm in the market for a new stainless axle.

IMG_2108.jpg

Also thought this might come in handy to show the placement of the tank scale decal. Measured down from the top of the side frame bar.

IMG_2110.jpg

Just shy of 8.5" down.

IMG_2111.jpg

And of course, the last bolt of the day snapped :(

Last edited:
That happened to me when I disassembled my frame, also last bolt of course. Had to use a helicoil to fix it!

That happened to me when I disassembled my frame, also last bolt of course. Had to use a helicoil to fix it!

When I did my 1000 restore I did not mess with taking the frame apart since I guessed I would run into the same problem. I just left them alone and sprayed over all the bolts maybe down the road a long road might have an issue but my frame was tight no gaps so maybe just lucky.

Mine was so rusty inside the remaining bolt broke out along with he keeper.

When I did my 1000 restore I did not mess with taking the frame apart since I guessed I would run into the same problem. I just left them alone and sprayed over all the bolts maybe down the road a long road might have an issue but my frame was tight no gaps so maybe just lucky.

In hind site this may have been the way to go. A lot of my washer were broken or missing, so that would have driven me nuts.

I typically don't take the frames completely apart either

Or if you do, stop before the last bolt :)

Did a little tank scale restoration:

IMG_2136.jpg

Mine was looking pretty sad

IMG_2140.jpg

First step was to remove the old decal

IMG_2141.jpg

Then clean off the residue and give it a good de-greasing

IMG_2155.jpg

Some new gloss black

IMG_2280.jpg

4 years in art school :)

IMG_2281.jpg

IMG_2353.jpg

Lookin good as new, in my opinion anyway

IMG_2346.jpg

As a side note, I picked this up on eBay a while back. Not quite my grill, but close enough.

Joel,
Tank scale looks fantastic! Would you be interested in selling sheets of the tank decals? I am sure some others would also be interested.

The size that I measured before I removed mine was 1.375" x 3.1875"
I highly recommend downloading the PDF here and printing out of Acrobat or some program that does not re-size them.

tank scale-danger.pdf

If that's not possible here is a hi-res JPG

tank scale-danger.jpg

Please, Please, PLEASE do not skew the size (change the size disproportionately). If you do this your grill will catch on fire. That not a threat, it's a fact :)

Last edited:
Very Nice Joel.
I have some questions:
1) Is that tank scale graphic label going to print out the proper size as it is?
Also, the PDF you provide only has ONE label on it. Will it print just one per sheet when I go to print it?

2) Where do you get the "Sticker" material to print it on?

3) Any chance you can do up one for the Scale readout on the front right leg of the grill frame? Like this one: http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/Demosthenes9/media/cGF0aDpXRWIgU3R1ZmYvR2VuMWEuanBn/?ref=

Last edited:
Very Nice Joel.

3) Any chance you can do up one for the Scale readout on the front right leg of the grill frame? Like this one: http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/Demosthenes9/media/cGF0aDpXRWIgU3R1ZmYvR2VuMWEuanBn/?ref=

Bruce,

I have a label sheet I have made of the guage label. Mine is pretty close. I have not bothered my printer because I have been so overwhelmed with taxes and everything else. I will get on him to get me a price. He prints them on some kind of vinyl. They aren't going to last forever (the originals didn't either but still may have been stronger). Anyway, the first test sheet I think looks pretty good. A single sheet has enough labels for plenty of grills. I will do what I can to get you more info. I will try to post a picture.

Jon

Tank Fuel Gage Label

Here is a label I made myself. I don't claim that it is perfect. It seems the OEM one that has been offered here has the stripes in a light gray. I made mine white, but I suppose I could redo. The originals I have seen have rounded corners like I have made here. I think some others are sharp corners.

My printer can make whole sheets of these on a vinyl material that would just have to be cut out individually - like I did this one. A single sheet would do a bunch of grills. I am waiting on a price from him and will offer them very reasonably to anyone interested.

What do you all think?

fXTADLC.jpg

Back