Genesis Platinum C

Sounds like you'd need to order at a minimum both a 36 and a 72.
Is that what you did? Did you go all the way around the grill?

Didn't realize there was a 36 inch option. If there's an 18 as well, I could save myself the hassle of cutting by ordering 2 36s and 2 18s. But there's no 18 inch option in 304. Plus that would make it more expensive. Better to make a couple of cuts.

Forgive me for asking a repetitive question. It's hard to take so much information in so quickly.

If I wanted to get a high quality stainless grate for my grills, which one would people recommend? Quality and value. Thanks.

Is that what you did? Did you go all the way around the grill?

Didn't realize there was a 36 inch option. If there's an 18 as well, I could save myself the hassle of cutting by ordering 2 36s and 2 18s. But there's no 18 inch option in 304. Plus that would make it more expensive. Better to make a couple of cuts.
I did not go all the way around because the wood slats I put on the floor and left side provided sufficient rigidity to the chassis. I also retained the right panel as it was in much better shape than the left.

For your situation, if you did want to go all the way around, I'd be inclined to buy 2 X 72 in so I had some margin of error. Cut 1 X 36 and 1 X 18 from each piece. The cost is not that much more for the 2 X 72 vs 1 X 72 + 1 X 36. (About $6)

I did not go all the way around because the wood slats I put on the floor and left side provided sufficient rigidity to the chassis. I also retained the right panel as it was in much better shape than the left.

For your situation, if you did want to go all the way around, I'd be inclined to buy 2 X 72 in so I had some margin of error. Cut 1 X 36 and 1 X 18 from each piece. The cost is not that much more for the 2 X 72 vs 1 X 72 + 1 X 36. (About $6)

Good point. Otherwise I've got one chance to cut right down the middle, though I could screw it up either way.

Granger is a bit of a drive so I'm going to stop by a local place called Hardware Sales tomorrow and see if they have 304 stainless rods. Ideally they would have them pre-cut to the needed lengths.

Forgive me for asking a repetitive question. It's hard to take so much information in so quickly.

If I wanted to get a high quality stainless grate for my grills, which one would people recommend? Quality and value. Thanks.
RCplanebuyer a.k.a Dave Santana's grates are top notch...if you deal with him directly then you may be able to save a little $.

These also are very good (CG48)....

There are lots on Amazon (mostly made in China), just search Weber 7639...they can be hit or miss though but cost less than the 2 above.

Last edited:
RCplanebuyer a.k.a Dave Santana's grates are top notch...if you deal with him directly then you may be able to save a little $.

These also are very good (CG48)....

There are lots on Amazon (mostly made in China), just search Weber 7639...they can be hit or miss though but cost less than the 2 above.
Thanks. Those options are so crazy expensive. The rcplanebuyer set looks amazing and I'd love to have them. But it's hard to justify the price.

Here's the Qulimetal set that's way cheaper. How will performance vary from one to the other?

Last edited:
Thanks. Those options are so crazy expensive. The rcplanebuyer set looks amazing and I'd love to have them. But it's hard to justify the price.

Here's the Qulimetal set that's way cheaper. How will performance vary from one to the other?
Remember the part of your grill you interface with the most is the grates. They can make or break the cooking experience. Junk grates on a great grill gives you a grill you will hate. Great grates (like Dave's) even on a not so top line grill will result in a grill you will enjoy. If all you want to do is "flip" a grill than no his grates are not worth it. But if you want to have a "keeper" they're worth every penny you spend. Because it's what your food touches, it's what you work with, it's what makes your grill "feel" like a great "tool" in your hands or something you tolerate.
As for the photos of those stamped grates shown earlier. Many were mistakenly calling porcelain coated stamped grates stainless. Specifically the ones showing rust on them. The old grates Weber made were stamped 304 grade so they did not rust ever.
One advantage of the stamped grates is they could be flipped over (I saw this recommended by Weber) to "channel" grease away from dropping directly into the flame area. Much like those expensive wood fired Santa Anna grills you see with upside down V grates.

I think you mentioned that the middle burner wasn't working, that could be a rotted out burner tube or maybe even a problem with the manifold. You also mentioned the igniter didn't work. I would probably make sure I could get the grill working properly first before I worried about new grates for it, just my approach to it for what it's worth. You might not want to spend any money on new grates if you can't get this grill working or looking the way you're going to be happy with.

Echoing what Steve wrote, and the advice on your 1000. Get it working, cook on it and then decide where to invest more.

Can you take some pictures of what you're working with so we can help you? Also, does the grill even light up at this point?

I doubt it's worth the cost. They are extremely heavy, definitely an example of "they don't make em like they used to"
You could carefully wrap them in bubble wrap and use one of those "Flat Rate" Priority Mail boxes. That wouldn't be cheap, cheap, but not crazy expensive either. It works great for Dave Santana/rcplanebuyer.

Remember the part of your grill you interface with the most is the grates. They can make or break the cooking experience. Junk grates on a great grill gives you a grill you will hate. Great grates (like Dave's) even on a not so top line grill will result in a grill you will enjoy. If all you want to do is "flip" a grill than no his grates are not worth it. But if you want to have a "keeper" they're worth every penny you spend. Because it's what your food touches, it's what you work with, it's what makes your grill "feel" like a great "tool" in your hands or something you tolerate.
As for the photos of those stamped grates shown earlier. Many were mistakenly calling porcelain coated stamped grates stainless. Specifically the ones showing rust on them. The old grates Weber made were stamped 304 grade so they did not rust ever.
One advantage of the stamped grates is they could be flipped over (I saw this recommended by Weber) to "channel" grease away from dropping directly into the flame area. Much like those expensive wood fired Santa Anna grills you see with upside down V grates.
Thanks. Turns out the very best grates aren't available right now. When they become available again, they may be completely unaffordable. Hopefully not long term but, for now definitely. So I'll have to decide whether to go with something lesser but still an improvement over what I have now or just sit tight.

I think you mentioned that the middle burner wasn't working, that could be a rotted out burner tube or maybe even a problem with the manifold. You also mentioned the igniter didn't work. I would probably make sure I could get the grill working properly first before I worried about new grates for it, just my approach to it for what it's worth. You might not want to spend any money on new grates if you can't get this grill working or looking the way you're going to be happy with.
I figure I'll get it working one way or another. Even if it means finding other stoves for parts. Of course, that could turn up nicer grates too if I'm lucky.

Can you take some pictures of what you're working with so we can help you? Also, does the grill even light up at this point?
I've been posting photos and will post more as necessary. Really appreciate all the helpful feedback. One of the grills is lighting and cooked beautifully. Put my old CharBroiler to shame. The middle row wasn't lighting but I'll get it figured out.

You could carefully wrap them in bubble wrap and use one of those "Flat Rate" Priority Mail boxes. That wouldn't be cheap, cheap, but not crazy expensive either. It works great for Dave Santana/rcplanebuyer.
If Steve were willing, how much would that cost? If it were similar to the $20 he charges to ship, I'd be game.

John, I went to my local hardware store, a very large and old-fashioned sort of place, the kind that was once common but rarely seen anymore. They didn't have stainless in a thick enough gauge but they had some nice pre-cut aluminum angle irons. Tell me if I'm wrong in thinking they won't rust. And because they can hold wood or other planks (perhaps I'll use Fiberon, as I have some left over from a decking project), they should provide plenty of torsional strength.

Back