Genesis Platinum C

Would this one work?

It's a long drive but it has the wire rack and some other parts that would be helpful for at least the Platinum. Perhaps a few would work for the 1000 too (drip tray, knob)
The big drip trays on the Genesis b/c’s are not compatible with the genesis 1000 thru 5000. Knobs, grates, lids, tank scales, big wheels, grease catchers and brackets are interchangeable

That wire rack should fit your Platinum fine. Just be careful as sometimes they are rusted up pretty bad. If it is in decent shape, you can always repaint it. Don't drive too far or pay too much. There will be more that show up closer and cheaper. It is just a waiting game.

I suggest you get a good set of cooking grates for the platinum. Those stamped steel grates work, but they don't hold any heat. You can find a good set of solid rod Stainless Steel grates for under $50 on Amazon or you can go with cast iron. Both options are much better in my opinion.

Please tell me more about the grates? How do they stack up, being stainless and hollow?
Are these the grates that you currently have (see close up pic, fifth image)?

The rods are hollow as opposed to solid ones on other grates. They are still good though and lighter so easier to take off of the grill. But yah, if you can then get a good set of cooking grates like Bruce mentioned.

I'm attaching a bunch of photos. As expected, the bottom is completely rusted out. I'm wondering how to create new bottom rails to hold the cart together. I'm not a metal fabricator so it would have to be fairly straight forward. If there's a rack I can get from an old Silver or Gold, that would be fine. Clearly it needs something to maintain structural integrity at the bottom (as Bruce and others were discussing) once the panels are removed.

View attachment 43195

I had a similar issue when going through my rebuild. I bought angled steel and bolted it to the frame:

1641848735842.png
1641848751903.png

I specifically used 90 degree angled steel because I intended to install the wooden slat shelf. I think you could get by with SS sheet metal strips if you didn't need the angle iron. This is all because I did not have welding capability. Would have gone that route if it was feasible...

That wire rack should fit your Platinum fine. Just be careful as sometimes they are rusted up pretty bad. If it is in decent shape, you can always repaint it. Don't drive too far or pay too much. There will be more that show up closer and cheaper. It is just a waiting game.

I suggest you get a good set of cooking grates for the platinum. Those stamped steel grates work, but they don't hold any heat. You can find a good set of solid rod Stainless Steel grates for under $50 on Amazon or you can go with cast iron. Both options are much better in my opinion.
The owner says there's some rust on the wire rack but it still has integrity. Thing is it's a 90 minute drive one way and he's not giving the grill away for free so I'm going to wait for something to show up in better shape or closer or free (or some combination of the above).

There were certain cook top grates you particularly recommended. How will they improve the performance of the grill?

Are these the grates that you currently have (see close up pic, fifth image)?

The rods are hollow as opposed to solid ones on other grates. They are still good though and lighter so easier to take off of the grill. But yah, if you can then get a good set of cooking grates like Bruce mentioned.
I think they're the same but I'm not sure. Posting some pictures so others can help with the identification. The last owner told me they are replacement grates and that they are stainless, which may not be obvious from the photos. IMG_20220110_154335.jpgIMG_20220110_154339.jpg

Same question for you, Sam, as I had for Bruce. What's the advantage of the solid and more expensive grates?

View attachment 43217

I specifically used 90 degree angled steel because I intended to install the wooden slat shelf. I think you could get by with SS sheet metal strips if you didn't need the angle iron. This is all because I did not have welding capability. Would have gone that route if it was feasible...
Stainless strips would be great. I don't need slats or a shelf down there. Really wouldn't have any use. Where would I get strips of stainless steel that would be suitable for attaching to the legs, presumably with stainless screws?

Here's a separate question about grates. This time I'm attaching photos of the grates that came with the 1000-LX. They appear to my untrained eye to be cast iron but also hollow. I like the idea of cast iron because of the way they hold and distribute heat but, as you can see, they are rusted. I imagine I could clean off the rust and they'd still be solid. Obviously they'd have to be kept dry to prevent from rusting again.

If I wanted one grill to have cast iron grates, are there better than these? And are these too far gone to keep and use? IMG_20220110_154350.jpgIMG_20220110_154350(1).jpgIMG_20220110_154355.jpgIMG_20220110_154400.jpg

Stainless strips would be great. I don't need slats or a shelf down there. Really wouldn't have any use. Where would I get strips of stainless steel that would be suitable for attaching to the legs, presumably with stainless screws?
I bought the stainless steel angle from Grainger - it is 1/8in thickness with 3/4in inner length on each side of the angle. It was $28... looks like prices have gone up since then. For flat bar stainless...

That 1 inch stock should be plenty to provide stability...

Roy, I believe the solid stainless steel are easier to keep cleen over the hollow stainless steel ones. You can search Youtube for the differences between cast iron and stainless steel but I believe cast iron distributes heat better then stainless but stainless steel is easier to maintain and keep clean over cast iron. It is just a matter of preference.

And yes the ones you have are the Hollow Stamped Stainless ones like I showed you the pics, that is just what they look like over time of use.

Last edited:
@Roy-Parallax I'm not sure what hollow stainless steel grates are. I call the ones you have stamped steel, and I can't tell if they are stainless or porcelain coated steel.

The grates I'm familiar with are:

Porcelain coated stamped steel:

Stamped stainless steel:

Stainless Steel rod grates. Many are 7mm thick. Some are 9mm

porcelain coated cast iron:

grill grates:

Which is "best" is an often discussed topic. I've only cooked on stamped stainless and porcelain cast iron.

Roy, DanHoo is correct on all points. I was just calling them Hollow because you all were referencing that way I believe the ones you all were just meaning and referencing the Stamped ones.

Roy, I'm lazy when it comes to cleaning grates and would try a burnoff for 15 to 20 mins on high and clean with a brush. They look serviceable.

I've used stamped stainless for years. They work well. Thick stainless rod or cast iron will sear better as there is more mass to hold more heat vs the stamped steel.

Roy, I'm lazy when it comes to cleaning grates and would try a burnoff for 15 to 20 mins on high and clean with a brush. They look serviceable.

I've used stamped stainless for years. They work well. Thick stainless rod or cast iron will sear better as there is more mass to hold more heat vs the stamped steel.
I'm with Dan on this one, I've also been using the Weber stainless steel stamped grates for years. They work just fine and last forever.

Does anyone have a link for cast iron grills? I'm not sure if I want to buy them but would be interested in seeing how they differ from what I have.
FYI, GrillGrates has announced a price increase effective Friday.
Those are over $100. Not cheap. What makes them worth that much?

Back