Genesis Platinum C

Mostly done. Still have some cosmetic stuff. We're out of town for five weeks and then, when I get back, I'm going to jump into the sailboat big time. So the Platinum will get finished in the evenings after work. The late sunsets should make that doable.

How's yours coming along?

Great, looking forward to see your progress.
I just need to finish the lid and install the 8" wheels and I will be at a stopping point.

Going to have to address inside bottom at a later time

Last edited:
Reviving an old thread. It's been months. Went out of town for six weeks, then came back for one, then left for yet one more. Since I've been back, been working on the boat. Here's a photo taken from deck one night when we saw a double rainbow.
Rainbow Over Bellingham Bay.jpg

This one's from last Thursday's race. We didn't finish. I didn't care.
Salish Sunset 3.jpg

Between real work and family and sailing the boat and repairing the boat, there's not much time left for grills. But today, at long last, I'm working the Platinum. Just before returning home, I ordered a replacement part for this:

IMG_20220618_141418.jpg

Got it installed and now the burn tubes look pretty good on high and low.

IMG_20220618_142248.jpgIMG_20220618_142358.jpg

Side burner looks good high and low:

IMG_20220618_142911.jpgIMG_20220618_142915.jpg

Next, I need to clean everything up (months of dust and schmutz), attach the new handle, die and attached the knobs and trim. Then it will be done and I'll post final photos.

Here's the new handle. Ordered it from a guy named Mike that one of you had ordered stuff from. I've been meaning to post his contact information. Did a beautiful job. Cost $85, which may sound like a lot, but I think it was very fair considering the time and effort that went into it plus the workmanship and the cost of shipping (which was included).

IMG_20220618_145134.jpgIMG_20220618_145140.jpg

Mike gave me permission to post his number a while back. If interested, best to text him at (630) 248-0800.

To be continued . . .

Roy! Glad you're having fun with your new toy. I'm also glad you like the new grill handle, I'll let Mike know. He usually doesn't like to do the finishing on them, but he did it for you for a slight upcharge. The unfinished handle would have been 50 plus shipping. Enjoy

Roy! Glad you're having fun with your new toy. I'm also glad you like the new grill handle, I'll let Mike know. He usually doesn't like to do the finishing on them, but he did it for you for a slight upcharge. The unfinished handle would have been 50 plus shipping. Enjoy
Thanks Steve. Mike's a real good guy. Was great working with him. The post office completely messed up the delivery but that wasn't his fault and he was a real gentleman about making it right.

PS: I'm not sure "new toy" is the right term for a 51 year old sailboat. Nothing new about it, but much fun just the same.

It is done. I hereby declare this grill complete:

Completed Platinum Grill 1.jpg

Had planned to die the end caps and I still may, if I can find a large enough metal container. But the upper trays will remain grey and I don't think it makes much difference.

Completed Platinum Grill 2.jpg

This was never intended to be a showpiece. It's an everyday working grill, albeit one that I wanted to look nice.

Completed Platinum Grill 3.jpg

It works great and I'm pleased with the result. If anything, I overdid it -- as it's hard to keep clean enough to justify the effort.

Special thanks to Bruce, Tom and Samuel -- each of whom made generous material contributions to this project. Thanks to all of you for your advice and guidance. I could not have done this alone.

Looks great, Roy. That grill will be cooking for many years to come! With your mods it is about bulletproof. Thanks for sharing. If I ever get to Pacific Northwest I am up for a boat ride and cooking up something on that cool grill😎!

Back