Genesis Platinum C

All good points Fellas but I took the Lazy Man's approach and just bought a new SS Side Burner Lid for my Platinum for they were still available for sale.

No need to send me the Lid Roy, but thanks for the offer.
That was not an option for my 3000 Samuel and I got tired of waiting to find another parts grill. They are rare here where I live and go quickly if there is one.

As Jon suggested, sanding with finer and finer grits will do it but it takes awhile. And you have to go with straight strokes with the grain. I suggest to practice on the underside/inside first to get the technique. I finished with 900 grit on this one.

View attachment 46648View attachment 46649
Wow, hard to believe that's the same lid! Did you use any kind of lubricant while you were sanding, or just straight sandpaper?

Beautiful work, Richard. Can you provide the whole array of grits you went with?
My cover had no deep scratches or pits so I just had to get rid of the scorch mark from the previous owner closing the lid on the lit burner. I just went with 600 grit and then 800. I posted earlier that it was 900 but when I checked the package it was 800. You only need to go as fine as the original grain you have. No need to make it mirror finish. If you start with too coarse a grit you will be sanding forever to get rid of the deep grooves it makes though.
I do use BKF to clean up my S330 but it was no match for the scorch mark on this cover.
This is the pack of sandpaper I bought at the auto parts store.

416C0CFF-D63A-4E95-93D2-C959BB0FE1CE.jpeg

Wow, hard to believe that's the same lid! Did you use any kind of lubricant while you were sanding, or just straight sandpaper?
Steve, I just used dry sandpaper as shown in my reply to Roy. It might have been better to use a lubricant but I am a novice and didn’t know any better. Jon and Joe and others have more knowledge/experience in this area and I bow to their advice, tips and suggestions.

I am definitely no expert! I just tried to follow the video I linked in that old thread. I soon found that the drill-based approach they advocated didn't work all that well. An orbital sander did a lot better. My project was an old hood that was heavily etched. How aggressive you have to be would seem to depend on what you are trying to overcome. The cutting lubricant was very messy but did seem to help with the process on mine. My Lazy Man project and RIchard's great results above show, though, that you CAN overcome issues with old stainless steel if you are willing to work hard enough at it.

Was a busy day today but I didn't take a lot of photos. I've been working on restoring the wood handle that came with the 2000. Glued it back together a while back. Today, sanded it down and began staining. It's going surprisingly well. The wood was really weathered. I don't know that it will be gorgeous but it will be reasonably nice. Meanwhile, I'm paying someone to make me a new handle for the Platinum and my friend, who does wood working effortlessly, offered to make me one (or more) handles. Made it sound like it's nothing to knock 'em out.

He came by today and we worked on his hybrid grill and my 2000. Prepped and painted both fireboxes.

IMG_20220306_135456.jpg

Also painted the 2000 frame. Decided not to replace it with the stainless frame from the Summit we picked up for parts. I really like it in black so I'm just making it nice. The frame was in pretty good shape but it's 30 years old and this is the Pacific Northwest so of course there was some rust. Was able to grind it off.

IMG_20220306_152748.jpg

That was my friend doing some of it. I did most of it while he worked on his grill.

We also went through the three other grills we brought back from our recent trip. Turns out they're all in really bad shape. The fireboxes on each have holes. I wonder if that's a function of living in a rainy climate or if it's a result of fire damage. Either way, I think they're beyond repair. I'll save whatever parts I can. I've been using the 900 and it's in the best shape of the three. But once there are holes in the firebox, is there grill enough left to save?

Here's some meat I brought outside to defrost because it was a rare sunny day in the Pactif Northwest. It's sitting on a bookcase I keep in the garage so I could move it around to keep it in the sun (as the trees around my home cast huge shadows and our direct sunlight is limited).

IMG_20220306_135449.jpg

Mentioned that this grill work had caused me to wonder about the possibility of getting a boat. Turns out my friend has been thinking about getting a sail boat and is planning on seeing one next Saturday. So now we're mulling the possibility of going in as partners. My wife seems to be on board (so to speak). He and I are going to look at it next weekend, assuming it doesn't sell first. An older 38 foot Morgan sailboat that looks to be in very good condition. Beautiful cabin.

Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 11.02.44 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-06 at 11.03.22 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-06 at 11.03.40 PM.png

Last edited:
On a separate note, does anyone know if it's possible to get just the crossover tube for the 1000 grill? My buddy has perfectly good burner tubes but sees to have lost the crossover section. Does he need a while new set of tubes? If so, I'll give him mine and use a new set that Samuel is sending. But I'd prefer to keep those for future use and let my friend replace the missing crossover.

On a separate note, does anyone know if it's possible to get just the crossover tube for the 1000 grill? My buddy has perfectly good burner tubes but sees to have lost the crossover section. Does he need a while new set of tubes? If so, I'll give him mine and use a new set that Samuel is sending. But I'd prefer to keep those for future use and let my friend replace the missing crossover.
Yes, you can just buy the crossover tubes. I forget where from though, I look at so many places for parts.

Because of the different burner styles in the older Genesis grills getting the proper XOver tube is the hard part.

Yep, the crossover tube is likely available, but getting the right one takes some effort.
If the holes in the cook box are small, say pencil diameter or smaller, then they can be readily fixed with some high heat JB weld. I have done it to several and even did it on my Genesis 1000. After 4 years, it is holding fine.

If Samuel's Xover tube isn't the correct one, this one says it is for Genesis 1000-5000 grills.

It's in the thread Ed posted halfway down.

Grillparts.com has them

Just saw Bruce posted a direct link.

Too bad that with all the grills we picked up, that tube is either missing or broken.

Turns out that both Silvers and the 900 are seriously compromised. With each one, the firebox itself has holes. On one of the Silvers its badly eaten away. The other two could be used for a while but I'm thinking it's not fair to sell someone a grill with a firebox that's compromised.

How do they get that way? I thought these aluminum boxes were all but indestructible.

Unless there's a way to restore the boxes, I'm thinking the right thing to do is a run to the metal salvager and, if they don't want the grills, to the dump.

I'm grateful that we have three great grills between the two of us. My Platinum and 2000 plus his hybrid 1000 with Summit frame. Plus a bunch of spare parts.

The cast aluminum parts oxidize. Paint on the outside and oil on the inside seem to protect them. Fires, weird sauces, and lack of maintenance seem to hurt them.
If the firebox has a white powdery coat and is pitted it’s on the way to grill heaven.

The cast aluminum parts oxidize. Paint on the outside and oil on the inside seem to protect them. Fires, weird sauces, and lack of maintenance seem to hurt them.
If the firebox has a white powdery coat and is pitted it’s on the way to grill heaven.
Thanks BPratt. All three seem well on their way. One is totally gone. Another is basically unusable. The third could be used for a while but its days are numbered.

IMG_20220307_131815.jpgIMG_20220307_131907.jpgIMG_20220307_131953.jpgIMG_20220307_131859.jpgIMG_20220307_131914.jpg

Back