Genesis Platinum C

Roy-Parallax

TVWBB Pro
Someone near me is giving away a Platinum C and I'm tempted. One door is off, it's missing its drip pan and the bottom is rusted. I'm wondering if it might make sense to grab it and then use the stainless frame with the 1000-LX I'm restoring. Maybe the side burner too. Don't have any desire for a closed cart and would prefer the deeper box of the 1000 series. So I'd be creating a hybrid grill. Am I on to something or best to let it go?

Attachments

• Weber.jpg
    Weber.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 52
Is it practical to use the stainless frame with my 1000-LX?
I think so, you'll have the best of both worlds. Bruce did it but had to do some mods but it turned out great. Snag that free grill!

I would never pass up free Genesis Platinum stainless frames! Even if you decide the mods Bruce did are too much, you can make it into an open cart version of the Platinum as has been done here at least a couple times.

I actually like the Platinum "as is" - for what it is. I am still a fan of open cart, wood slat Genesis grills, but this Platinum has its own style. I like it, but I get that some just don't find the "monocoque" look appealing. It is so sad that they put that cheap, painted steel bottom - and to a lesser extent the back and sides - in that otherwise almost perfect grill. If the sides and back aren't too far gone, you can restore and rust proof them, ditch the bottom, and then add two stainless horizontal frame tubes. With that in place, you can either use a wire rack for the bottom (like Weber did on the first Summit) or make tray tables with durawood and stainless or aluminum z-bars.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'm not a welder so Bruce"s unicorn is not in the cards. But if the grill is still available, I'll snag it to make an open cart and have a five bar grill to go with my 13 bar. Who says a guy can't have multiple grills? Certainly not anyone here! Perhaps our wives. 😋

My vote is to grab it, if nothing more for the Stainless Frame.

I picked up one myself while on Vacation in Maine this past Summer.

View attachment 43041

Stripped it down to this for my next project.

View attachment 43042

Jeff
Two burner? What happened to the third? Looks to be in great shape, though.

The one I'm looking at is more raw and, so far, the owner hasn't gotten back to me. His listing said it's out in the driveway and the first one who gets there can have it. It's a long drive so I wrote to see if he'd set it aside until I could get there. I'm not driving that far unless he assures me it wil be there.

Definitely grab that. They do not come around free very often. Heck a guy here is asking $80 for one near me and it has a rusted bottom. A common issue that is remedy by replacing it with a Genesis Gold wire rack.
This is my Frankengrill.

20210717_Platinum BLK Control Panel pic 1.jpg

Someone near me is giving away a Platinum C and I'm tempted. One door is off, it's missing its drip pan and the bottom is rusted. I'm wondering if it might make sense to grab it and then use the stainless frame with the 1000-LX I'm restoring. Maybe the side burner too. Don't have any desire for a closed cart and would prefer the deeper box of the 1000 series. So I'd be creating a hybrid grill. Am I on to something or best to let it go?
How is your 1000 coming along? Did you get it working yet?

Here is one in S. Wisconsin if you are looking for one.

Here is one in S. Wisconsin if you are looking for one.

Bruce, I thought the whole frame was stainless steel on those? This one has a rotted out regular steel crossmember, or is that how they all were?

Steve the panels are steel, but cross members on the side plus the legs are stainless. My apologies to Bruce for interrupting I just had a pic handy.

Platinum Bones pic 2.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, the actual "frame" is all stainless. But the cabinet sides, back and bottom are regular steel and the only weak spot on the whole grill. If Weber had made those parts out of stainless, they would be virtually indestructible grills. But, then they would have probably been $200-$300 more in price as well.
I sometimes wonder why Weber didn't just go ahead and make a fully SS grill and charge the extra $300 for it. But, then I think that those would likely be the last grills those customers ever buy. I think most companies build "planned obsolecence" into their products.

I thought the whole frame was stainless. I guess I'm just confused by this picture of the one that Bruce just posted.Screenshot_20220109-160950_Chrome.jpg

Stever; You have to differentiate the frame from the cabinet. The legs and top cross members are all stainless. The panels for the cabinet are regular painted steel and rust out quick. The front doors of the cabinet are stainless.

The picture that Samuel posted is the "FRAME" and is all stainless. The picture that you posted above shows the cabinet on the frame but the bottom is completely rusted out because it is regular painted steel and not stainless. The sides and back of that cabinet are also painted regular steel and likely full of rust along the bottom edges. But, if you remove the cabinet, what you have left is an all stainless open frame grill. You do have to replace the bottom panel of the cabinet however.

Yes, there is no frame cross members along the front and back of those grills. The bottom pan was fashioned in such a way as to provide that support. It would be pretty important that you put SS crossmembers in if you remove the bottom pan. I have done a couple SS Platinum rehabs. The first one I did before I got my welder and I just fabbed them in with the inserts like is done when replacing other parts of the frame on regular grills.

Here is the grill that did with the inserts.

20190731 Stainless Steel Platinum (1).jpg

20190731 Stainless Steel Platinum.jpg

Back