Genesis Platinum C

Thanks BPratt. All three seem well on their way. One is totally gone. Another is basically unusable. The third could be used for a while but its days are numbered.

View attachment 46773View attachment 46774View attachment 46775View attachment 46772View attachment 46776
If you were to take the one whose days are numbered to a sandblaster that would likely be the end of it. The white stuff is aluminum oxide, caused by a chemical reaction between the cast aluminum and the oxygen in the air and accelerated by heat, moisture, marinades, salt, drippings, etc. The crossover tube typically fails before the other burners because it is smaller and can't radiate the heat as well, and also because it is on all the time while grilling. When a xover tube or burner splits it causes localized heating which can damage the cookbox in the surrounding area, so it's important to monitor that and take care of it right away when it happens.

Yep. Those Cook boxes are toast. They make good scrap. A lot of cooked boxes that I have found with holes have them where they where the flavorizer bars rest on the inside of the cooked Box. They are usually holes about the size of a pencil and those are easily fixable. I think the reason for the holes in that area is heat that gets funneled to the end of the flavorizer buyers and also there's acids in the food that's cooked on a grill that deposits in that area.

Here's another question. One grill has been running with a crossover tube like this. How long can it run this way?

View attachment 46777
That cross over tube is rotted out bad. I'm sure there is a huge flame where that Hole is to the left of the middle burner. I would not run it like that period that is a bigger problem in the making

You need a solid crossover tube in good condition for that type of 3 burner grill

It’s a structural part of the burner assembly. It holds the center tube in position.

If you had a 2 burner you could live without a crossover tube if you don’t mind lighting each burner separately.

Even with a 2 burner grill you would want something to plug the holes for the cross over tube at the end of each burner tube

Yep. Those Cook boxes are toast. They make good scrap. A lot of cooked boxes that I have found with holes have them where they where the flavorizer bars rest on the inside of the cooked Box. They are usually holes about the size of a pencil and those are easily fixable. I think the reason for the holes in that area is heat that gets funneled to the end of the flavorizer buyers and also there's acids in the food that's cooked on a grill that deposits in that area.
Any time you have two dissimilar metals in contact with each other all it takes is a bit of moisture to act as an electrolyte and you have a weak battery. The "strength" of the battery depends on the electronegativity (dissimilarity) of the metals in proximity to each other. Having said all that (which nobody cares about anyway) I would not expect stainless steel to make a very good battery pole, so it might be a wear thing...the earth vibrates ("rings") and there is always a bit of movement between the stainless and the aluminum.

Any time you have two dissimilar metals in contact with each other all it takes is a bit of moisture to act as an electrolyte and you have a weak battery. The "strength" of the battery depends on the electronegativity (dissimilarity) of the metals in proximity to each other. Having said all that (which nobody cares about anyway) I would not expect stainless steel to make a very good battery pole, so it might be a wear thing...the earth vibrates ("rings") and there is always a bit of movement between the stainless and the aluminum.
Ed I care about that stuff thank you.

The old silver B grills get very hot. My flavor bars glow red. I would guess they expand pushing out the firebox walls which probably isn’t good for the firebox

Ed I care about that stuff thank you.

The old silver B grills get very hot. My flavor bars glow red. I would guess they expand pushing out the firebox walls which probably isn’t good for the firebox
Thanks! Here's a electronegativity chart. The greater the difference in electronegativity, the stronger the battery. It's amazing to me that Teslas are running around on flashlight batteries.

I'm not disputing that. Just saying I didn't know there was any limit on these grills. If the box itself lasted forever, and parts remained available, these grills could go on forever.
Nothing is built to withstand the constant and repeated abuse those grills have taken over the years. Trust me, a lot of grease fires contributed to the demise of those grills. Throw in the chemical reactions that Ed is talking about and there you go.

Nothing is built to withstand the constant and repeated abuse those grills have taken over the years. Trust me, a lot of grease fires contributed to the demise of those grills. Throw in the chemical reactions that Ed is talking about and there you go.
All very reasonable. I'm just new to all this. So my expectations were out of whack with that reality.

All very reasonable. I'm just new to all this. So my expectations were out of whack with that reality.
Roy, you live in a wet area and you must also be near the coast to be looking at ocean-going sailboats. It's likely there is a lot of salt in the air in your locale so things are likely going to deteriorate at a rapid pace. Stainless steel is a good choice for you and once you learn what to look for you should be able to quickly see how much life a rescue grill has left in it. If you are thinking about getting into the rehab hobby, first study the market in your area and decide whether the market will support what you will need to recover your costs and labor.

All of us were new to this hobby at one time, so no shame in that.

Roy, you live in a wet area and you must also be near the coast to be looking at ocean-going sailboats. It's likely there is a lot of salt in the air in your locale so things are likely going to deteriorate at a rapid pace. Stainless steel is a good choice for you and once you learn what to look for you should be able to quickly see how much life a rescue grill has left in it. If you are thinking about getting into the rehab hobby, first study the market in your area and decide whether the market will support what you will need to recover your costs and labor.

All of us were new to this hobby at one time, so no shame in that.
Thanks Ed. Looks like Weberitis may be a gateway drug for me, given that it's now got me and my friend talking about buying a boat together. We'll see. For reasons you cite. Coastal location, salt air and water. If you can rehab grills, you can maintain a sailboat.

Thanks Ed. Looks like Weberitis may be a gateway drug for me, given that it's now got me and my friend talking about buying a boat together. We'll see. For reasons you cite. Coastal location, salt air and water. If you can rehab grills, you can maintain a sailboat.
They make grills specifically for marine use. Now that sounds like fun!

The worrisome part for me would not be maintaining it, but operating it. It's a big ocean out there. You can just call me Gilligan. I'm a landlubber.

Check out this grill:

1646700380614.png

They make grills specifically for marine use. Now that sounds like fun!

The worrisome part for me would not be maintaining it, but operating it. It's a big ocean out there. You can just call me Gilligan. I'm a landlubber.

Check out this grill:

View attachment 46795

Yes, I've seen them on Craigslist. Expensive little suckers.

I'm not disputing that. Just saying I didn't know there was any limit on these grills. If the box itself lasted forever, and parts remained available, these grills could go on forever.
Yah, the only thing that limits the life of the older grills to any great degree is abuse and neglect.

Back