Genesis Platinum C

Just do not use it on or around the stainless steel parts like the side tables. It will scratch it and leave behind particles that will leave rust

Last edited:
Roy, I would caution you on using steel wool on the stainless parts of a grill. Some have good luck with it, but it could leave behind tiny particles of the steel wool which will rust and create stains later on. If you do go with steel wool, use the most fine you can find #0000. I use a soft green scrubby or cloth with barkeepers friend (scouring powder). I would stay away from the HD 3M brand scrubbies as they are too aggressive. You are better off with a used dollar store scrubby. And make sure you always scrub with the grain on the stainless. And refrain from scrubbling a specific area more than surrounding areas. Like if you have a nasty stain in one spot, don't just scrub that spot real hard. Scrub the surrounding areas as well or it will show in the stainless steel.

Roy, I would caution you on using steel wool on the stainless parts of a grill. Some have good luck with it, but it could leave behind tiny particles of the steel wool which will rust and create stains later on. If you do go with steel wool, use the most fine you can find #0000. I use a soft green scrubby or cloth with barkeepers friend (scouring powder). I would stay away from the HD 3M brand scrubbies as they are too aggressive. You are better off with a used dollar store scrubby. And make sure you always scrub with the grain on the stainless. And refrain from scrubbling a specific area more than surrounding areas. Like if you have a nasty stain in one spot, don't just scrub that spot real hard. Scrub the surrounding areas as well or it will show in the stainless steel.
Thanks Bruce. Just ordered Barkeepers Friend. Can it be used on the control panel too?

Last edited:
Thanks Bruce. Just ordered Barkeepers Friend. Can it be used on the control panel too?
No, I wouldn't do that, Roy. Bar Keepers Friend has worked well for me on stainless and for some others here as well. Regular participating member LMichaels does not like it at all. I guess everyone has to use what works for them.

Roy, for the control panel I would treat it like a porcelain hood. 0000 steel wool and Simple Green would be my first choice. Maybe follow up with some WIndex as you use the microfiber cloth to buff everything off.

No, I wouldn't do that, Roy. Bar Keepers Friend has worked well for me on stainless and for some others here as well. Regular participating member LMichaels does not like it at all. I guess everyone has to use what works for them.

Roy, for the control panel I would treat it like a porcelain hood. 0000 steel wool and Simple Green would be my first choice. Maybe follow up with some WIndex as you use the microfiber cloth to buff everything off.
Thanks Jon. Just ordered some micro-fine 0000 steel wool for the control panel.

You can very safely use BKF on the control panel. It is not abrasive so it will not hurt anything. And frankly my experience with it is it does not clean anything either. On SS I have FAR better luck with good old ammonia. (I use the lemon scented one). Also combine with a green scotchbrite pad no metal particles left behind to rust on the SS. Frankly BKF is one of those things I just don't understand the nearly cult like following for

You can very safely use BKF on the control panel. It is not abrasive so it will not hurt anything. And frankly my experience with it is it does not clean anything either. On SS I have FAR better luck with good old ammonia. (I use the lemon scented one). Also combine with a green scotchbrite pad no metal particles left behind to rust on the SS. Frankly BKF is one of those things I just don't understand the nearly cult like following for
Thanks Larry. This morning, I used bleach and a ScotchBrite pad on the trays and a bit on the frame. That's what I had. Worked well on plastic and fairly well on metal too. I've ordered the BKF so I'll give it a try. I can try ammonia too. Does it remove rust?

Thanks Larry. This morning, I used bleach and a ScotchBrite pad on the trays and a bit on the frame. That's what I had. Worked well on plastic and fairly well on metal too. I've ordered the BKF so I'll give it a try. I can try ammonia too. Does it remove rust?
IDK about rust. Try Coca Cola for that. The phosphoric acid does a good job. I bought BKF myself based on all the accolades I read here. And I worked and worked and worked and got nowhere. I think I threw the bottle away I was so impressed

IDK about rust. Try Coca Cola for that. The phosphoric acid does a good job. I bought BKF myself based on all the accolades I read here. And I worked and worked and worked and got nowhere. I think I threw the bottle away I was so impressed
Hopefully I'll find it more useful.

I used Bar Keepers friend on the Platinum Burner Lid before I decided to go ahead and buy a new one.
Before:
Platinum Burner LId.jpg
After:
After Bar Keepers Friend Lid.jpg

The locks on the casters(little wheels) have a tendency to break over the years. If they still work otherwise, it might not be a big deal to you.
I found a company that makes custom casters, these were $12. Cd. Each.

Attachments

• 87604868-A520-4F50-AF32-67DB181DAABF.jpeg
    87604868-A520-4F50-AF32-67DB181DAABF.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 6
And you can pick wheel size, color, with or without brakes, swivel ball bearings, axle bearings, stem diameter… Algood Caster Innovations.
Since I don't see myself towing my grill or taking it out on a jog, I'm fine with the cheap ones I picked up on Amazon.

But for $4 more, yours would seem the better value. Do you have a link for the right size caster with a brake?

Bar Keepers Friend can help, but it won’t do miracles. At some point with messed up stainless you have to resort to sanding. Best done using a cutting lubricant and going through a series of finer and finer grit.

As Jon suggested, sanding with finer and finer grits will do it but it takes awhile. And you have to go with straight strokes with the grain. I suggest to practice on the underside/inside first to get the technique. I finished with 900 grit on this one.

A27AF070-C057-4971-8F5E-110E2857CD9E.jpeg46B77EF5-A727-4349-AACF-609964DD2393.jpeg

Attachments

• 473340E8-005F-479F-9DF0-4456974E24D9.jpeg
    473340E8-005F-479F-9DF0-4456974E24D9.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 2

Back